What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Does it count if they lock their team mates in the cupboard?

There's a reason Ben Smith wasn't sitting on the sidelines watching. I saw in the background of the 'locker cam' pre-game that Terepo and Mannah were pushing him in the cupboard, and locking him in.

Ryan Morgan was pretending not to notice, but he kept watching out of the corner of his eye, and giggling like a schoolgirl.

Who was the crazy merkin that let him out?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Four of our current NYC squad are 18 this year:

Dockar-Clay
Harrison
Moeroa
Tepu-Smith

I'm still waiting for Stags or somebody related to members of the board to tell us how long these guys are contracted for.

Ok clay is signed but the club haven't announced it yet.

Moeroa, signed till the end of 15 but he's still going to mewington and the club understands that his education comes before league and that also means that he's turning out for their rah rah side..

TTS is signed till the end of 15 I believe

Tyral Fuimaono hasn't even turned 17 yet and has made the 18s side the kid is an absolute Freak and signed till the end of 16

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ok clay is signed but the club haven't announced it yet.

Moeroa, signed till the end of 15 but he's still going to mewington and the club understands that his education comes before league and that also means that he's turning out for their rah rah side..

TTS is signed till the end of 15 I believe

Tyral Fuimaono hasn't even turned 17 yet and has made the 18s side the kid is an absolute Freak and signed till the end of 16

Awesome Stags, thanks. So it looks like the default is to sign them up until the year they turn 20. Makes sense.

Tanginoa, Pritchard, Masinamua and Pauli were signed up (at 18) through to the year they turn 21. I wonder what this year's crop of 18 year olds would have to do to earn that level of confidence.

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's probably financial Pou.

They'll probably be signed on deals under the NYC salary cap for "players not contracted to play NRL" ($250k total). I would imagine there'd be a clause in the contract that allows them to be shuffled over to an NRL contract, or an 'other' contract should the club deem fit.

Since they can't be NYC contracted past 20, that (my guess of course) is why they're not signed to the age of 21.

jason taylor

Bench
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Round-15-NYC-Holden-Cup-Team-List/77411

1. Corey Makelim
2. James Tuitahi
3. John Folau
4. Connor Broadhurst
5. Halauafu Lavaka
6. Mitchell Brasington
7. Sam Gorman
8. William Bugden
9. Luke Vescio
10. Pauli Pauli
11. Fred Junior Mauala
12. Sean Jackson
13. Diamond Charlie
Interchange:
14. Chad McGill
15. Jordan Latham
16. Jordan Grant
17. Tepai Tepu-Smith
18. Erick Aukofolau

So Brassington and Pauli Pauli are back?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's probably financial Pou.

They'll probably be signed on deals under the NYC salary cap for "players not contracted to play NRL" ($250k total). I would imagine there'd be a clause in the contract that allows them to be shuffled over to an NRL contract, or an 'other' contract should the club deem fit.

Since they can't be NYC contracted past 20, that (my guess of course) is why they're not signed to the age of 21.

The contract the player signs is not restricted by a single salary cap. So they player can sign a multi-year contract with each year of the contract corresponding to the various caps the club expects the player to fall under in each successive year.

This is why the 'academy' four re-signed last year until age 21 (post-NYC eligibility) despite not playing any grade higher than NYC last year.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
The contract the player signs is not restricted by a single salary cap. So they player can sign a multi-year contract with each year of the contract corresponding to the various caps the club expects the player to fall under in each successive year.

This is why the 'academy' four re-signed last year until age 21 (post-NYC eligibility) despite not playing any grade higher than NYC last year.

tumblr_m2tctzWAjo1r7aur5.gif

oldmancraigy

Coach

Wait - those 4 signed while SK was here, so the truth is probably that they signed 2 contracts :sarcasm:

oldmancraigy

Coach

Not sure this is correct.

Those players are listed amongst our 'top 25 + $350k non-top-25-but-first-grade-eligible' players.
Which suggests that their contracts have nothing to do with NYC salary cap amount. They are either top 25 blokes, or getting some of the 'next bunch' money.

As long as they are of age, they can play NYC (regardless where their pay comes from). But their contract must be NRL lodged and count against a particular cap. Sure, this could be whichever cap the club chooses (from year to year), however when you're "on the fringes" like these blokes, the amount you get paid most likely determines which cap you're part of.

Certainly this season they're in that top grade +excess cap.

I imagine the other blokes signed "NYC" $$ contracts, ($250k amongst the players), which they are ineligible for when turning 21. The club could have an option to extend and increase the amount? If not, they'd still probably require a pay rise when they "graduate" from NYC. ($250k amongst 15-20 blokes doesn't go very far!)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not sure this is correct.

Those players are listed amongst our 'top 25 + $350k non-top-25-but-first-grade-eligible' players.
Which suggests that their contracts have nothing to do with NYC salary cap amount. They are either top 25 blokes, or getting some of the 'next bunch' money.

As long as they are of age, they can play NYC (regardless where their pay comes from). But their contract must be NRL lodged and count against a particular cap. Sure, this could be whichever cap the club chooses (from year to year), however when you're "on the fringes" like these blokes, the amount you get paid most likely determines which cap you're part of.

Certainly this season they're in that top grade +excess cap.

I imagine the other blokes signed "NYC" $$ contracts, ($250k amongst the players), which they are ineligible for when turning 21. The club could have an option to extend and increase the amount? If not, they'd still probably require a pay rise when they "graduate" from NYC. ($250k amongst 15-20 blokes doesn't go very far!)

Yeah that's what I said. Last year (when Tanginoa and friends extended their contracts) they counted under the NYC cap. This year they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts