What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Delboy

First Grade
Keppie was given a complete run down of his future at the club, including an extensive interview with BA. Understand he was told once the development players were organised, he would be given a new contract and an outline of his step into the NRL.

His manager may well have panicked when Moanly pressured him to sign , saying their offer would be withdrawn as they were waiting for the outcome of the salary cap review, and it was agreed without coming back to Parra. The club is extremely disappointed in the decision made given what they laid out and the hasty way in which the new contract was completed, but that's life in player manager world and the NRL.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cant argue with any of that Poo.
So are we more prepared to pay up for juniors only if they are NRL ready at a younger age?
Well I’m sure we paid more than the Sharks were offering to poach Salmon. And he’s nowhere near ready for first grade.
Maybe we just didnt rate Keppie and Twal.
I’m sure we rated them less than Manly and Wests. Or maybe we just had less need for them than Wests (this year) or Manly (next year). We have a full pack this year, and I can’t see how Twal would’ve gotten the same opportunity if he’d stayed. As for 2019, if Manly have offered a top 30 spot why would we match it? Ray Stone is a better player and we will surely be wanting to promote him. We also need to find cash to retain Brown, Alvaro and who knows whom else. We could’ve probably fit Keppie in for next year but why match a top 30 spot if we don’t think he’s worth it?
Hard to know the thinking behind such decisions which must be difficult. I wonder what we are paying Salmon.
Hopefully we at least get a contender for rookie of the year this season.
I hope so but I reckon the only possible debutant for 2018 will be Niukore. If we lose both our hookers plus Will Smith (possible I guess) we might see Mahoney in the NRL too.

T-Boon

Coach
To be honest, I hope we don’t. I hope we have minimal injuries and only use our fringe first graders/back ups (of which many have 1st grade experience) sparingly.

I partially agree with this though I opine that the best time to blood promising youngsters is into an excellent team with a good culture. If Salmon or Brown are good enough I would get them in ASAP.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Keppie was given a complete run down of his future at the club, including an extensive interview with BA. Understand he was told once the development players were organised, he would be given a new contract and an outline of his step into the NRL.

His manager may well have panicked when Moanly pressured him to sign , saying their offer would be withdrawn as they were waiting for the outcome of the salary cap review, and it was agreed without coming back to Parra. The club is extremely disappointed in the decision made given what they laid out and the hasty way in which the new contract was completed, but that's life in player manager world and the NRL.
And from the player’s point of view he might never get another offer like this, so he’s smart taking the better short term offer. Because for a player who’s never even played NSW Cup there might never be a long term.

It’s disappointing but nobody’s fault. Manly have done the same thing we did with Salmon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For an 8 or 10 role yes. For a 13 role, much closer (back half of the season).
Assuming we need to replace a hard worker, we will already have Brown, Scott and Moeroa in the team, not to mention ‘props’ Mannah and Alvaro. Terepo can also play that role. But I agree Stone wouldn’t be out of place. I think he would be the first one out of the recent NYC graduates to play first grade. But probably next year.

Assuming we need to replace a hard worker, we will already have Brown, Scott and Moeroa in the team, not to mention ‘props’ Mannah and Alvaro. Terepo can also play that role. But I agree Stone wouldn’t be out of place. I think he would be the first one out of the recent NYC graduates to play first grade. But probably next year.

I'm not banking on Scott playing a lot of footy. Hope I'm wrong.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I partially agree with this though I opine that the best time to blood promising youngsters is into an excellent team with a good culture. If Salmon or Brown are good enough I would get them in ASAP.

Brown can't play NRL until he turns 18, which is the 26th of June.

Chipmunk

Coach
Does anyone know how anyone not in your Top 30 can play your NRL team in that season under the new system?

hindy111

Post Whore
Hope we hang onto him then! We seem to lose some of these promising players without a fight. We have the vision to bring these young blokes into our system but not the vision to give them a pathway into NRL.
We seem to be spending a squillion on all these young players but virtually none have made our team. So are we wasting money? I'd be cheaper just raiding the other nurseries for their best. If we persevere with our present setup we have to cherry pick the best based on our immediate and future needs and lock them up.

Our biggest weakness atm is big middle forwards with some skill and their as scarce as hen's teeth on the open market. Therefor we have to develop our own and keep them! The same with any other position within our team. And sometimes instead of discarding some players we need to keep them in lower grades as at times they'll become good players once they mature a bit more.

Yes like we did with Salmon ,Stone,GL,Niakuore, Mahoney, Schneider.

hindy111

Post Whore
Na pretty sure Glenn’s point was the club is shit and we will lose these players because we couldn’t identify how good they were after 5-10 years in our system and they’ll change clubs and carve us up when they finally kickstart their glorious 1st grade career of 10-12 games before never being heard from again

The best ones of late where where Bevan and Tepai......
But we also picked up this young gun from Manly Gutherson his name.
And a 23yld cheap. BROWN. Pkus some kid who was 22 when signed.Moses.

They look like decent prospects to me.