What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Evans made some very good runs and good tackles, his biggest problem was that he ruined those runs by trying to offload when there wasn't a need to offload. The first being on the 2nd tackle about 30m out from the opposition line after we had no ball. The 2nd being on the 3rd tackle after making an incisive run in behind the ruck. Both times resulted in a turnover.

He needed to do what Terepo was doing. Forget the offload, just tuck the ball under your arm and run hard at the defensive line. It's also what Kaufusi and Stefano did and they played well too.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Anyway this thread is about the juniors, Wenty have their own thread. Despite the scoreline I thought our 20's were quite good. We started off well with Biondi-Odo delivering some lovely passes to William Kei on the left, if not for the fantastic defence from the souths centre he would've scored 2 tries easily. Jesse Cronin smashed the opposition in defence, forcing at least 2 errors. They were the 2 stand-outs in the first quarter. And if not for a fortunate ricochet for the souths fullback I doubt they score, was good defensive game from both teams.

Other players that stood out for me were: Aaron Shelford (#12 from Burleigh Bears), Jack Jordan (#21 from Macquarie Scorpions).

I have no idea what the make-up of souths team was but our team was missing some key players in: Joe Taipari, John Fonua, Noel Aukafolau as well as the aforementioned 5 that played ISP but outside of Schneider I doubt any of them play 20's this year. Then there's also Hollis and Hughes who will push up from SG Ball. So it'll be a few months before we have anything close to our strongest 17.

tl;dr Biondi-Odo, Cronin, Jordan, Shelford, Kei were the best for us

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Evans made some very good runs and good tackles, his biggest problem was that he ruined those runs by trying to offload when there wasn't a need to offload. The first being on the 2nd tackle about 30m out from the opposition line after we had no ball. The 2nd being on the 3rd tackle after making an incisive run in behind the ruck. Both times resulted in a turnover.

He needed to do what Terepo was doing. Forget the offload, just tuck the ball under your arm and run hard at the defensive line. It's also what Kaufusi and Stefano did and they played well too.
Evans is in the team for his offloads. Trials are the best place to practice that. We already know he’s quick and strong, but he is a risk taker and needs to improve his decision making and ball security.

It’s good that he seems fit though.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Evans is in the team for his offloads. Trials are the best place to practice that. We already know he’s quick and strong, but he is a risk taker and needs to improve his decision making and ball security.

It’s good that he seems fit though.

You say he needs to improve his decision making, hasn't looked like it's increased. His timing of offloads was awful. Everything about them was awful, timing, execution. If he had kept the ball in those situations he would've had an okay game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You say he needs to improve his decision making, hasn't looked like it's increased. His timing of offloads was awful. Everything about them was awful, timing, execution. If he had kept the ball in those situations he would've had an okay game.
But how would the team have gone? We had a dummy half who played SG Ball last year and no playmakers in the halves. Some players are in the team to take risks, and early in the season they are most likely to miscalculate.

The reason match fitness is different to regular fitness is because it includes that familiarity component.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Certainly a massive effort from Schneider. Not played higher than SG Ball as well as missing most of last season. Obviously the club has an enormous opinion of him. I really hope he gets the support needed at Wenty to develop his game. Players of his ability dont come along all that often so we have to make sure we get it right.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
But how would the team have gone? We had a dummy half who played SG Ball last year and no playmakers in the halves. Some players are in the team to take risks, and early in the season they are most likely to miscalculate.

The reason match fitness is different to regular fitness is because it includes that familiarity component.

How would the team have gone? They would've had at least 1 more attacking opporunity and at least 1 more time where they didn't have to defend their line, if we exclusively took out Evans and it made no difference to the rest of the match. I outlined previously when he turned the ball over. I'll do it again. His first offload came on the 2nd tackle in the first attacking set of the game for Wenty. He was wrapped up by 3 defenders and tried to squeeze the ball out over the top. The 2nd offload came after a very good run in behind the ruck, he was being tackled by 4 players and actually pushed the ball into one of the defenders. There was no room or reason for him to offload that ball. If you're excusing Evans then surely you must have to praise Utoikamanu. A known offloader throughout the grades, saw what needed to be done and did his job.

That SG ball hooker did his job, plus some. He provided good service to all players and when the opportunity arose he nailed a 40/20, he didn't shirk his defensive duties and got in front of forwards who picked him out of the line. Don't try and blame Evans' poor performance on other, less experienced players, that's unfair to them. Unless you were at the game you have no context of when and where the mistakes were made. I agree there is a time and a place for offloads, which Evans brings, but the times he decided to offload were not right.

Yeah Evans was rubbish. He needs to earn the right to pass the ball. His play was like we were 10 behind with 5 mins to go. 3 times he gave it up
Bevan just lost it cold twice and had it stolen from him once. He threw it out twice with a cut out pass where it would have probably been a try if he got it right. But in reality those 2 guys lost it 8 times in 40 mins.
I'm sick of watching sets not completed

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How would the team have gone? They would've had at least 1 more attacking opporunity and at least 1 more time where they didn't have to defend their line, if we exclusively took out Evans and it made no difference to the rest of the match. I outlined previously when he turned the ball over. I'll do it again. His first offload came on the 2nd tackle in the first attacking set of the game for Wenty. He was wrapped up by 3 defenders and tried to squeeze the ball out over the top. The 2nd offload came after a very good run in behind the ruck, he was being tackled by 4 players and actually pushed the ball into one of the defenders. There was no room or reason for him to offload that ball. If you're excusing Evans then surely you must have to praise Utoikamanu. A known offloader throughout the grades, saw what needed to be done and did his job.
Evans is the senior forward. He’s played plenty of first grade, including finals. It’s his job to take risks, and nobody can make the decisions for him on the field. Utoikamanu is a kid. He won’t be trusted to make his own calls on the field, so he gets the easy job of taking the tackle and going for the quick play-the-ball.

If the coach needs Evans in first grade and doesn’t trust his ball-playing he will tell him to put it away. But in a trial for f**king reserve grade why wouldn’t he tell his 2 metre first grader to bring the offloads? It’s a trial ffs. Telling Evans not to offload would defeat the purpose.
That SG ball hooker did his job, plus some. He provided good service to all players and when the opportunity arose he nailed a 40/20, he didn't shirk his defensive duties and got in front of forwards who picked him out of the line. Don't try and blame Evans' poor performance on other, less experienced players, that's unfair to them.
Nobody’s blaming them. The point is they weren’t responsible for generating chances (as you’d expect from such inexperienced players). From reading the reports that responsibility was firmly on French and Evans.
Unless you were at the game you have no context of when and where the mistakes were made. I agree there is a time and a place for offloads, which Evans brings, but the times he decided to offload were not right.
And my point is he’s only going to get those calls right through practice. Where better than a reserve grade trial?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Evans is the senior forward. He’s played plenty of first grade, including finals. It’s his job to take risks, and nobody can make the decisions for him on the field. Utoikamanu is a kid. He won’t be trusted to make his own calls on the field, so he gets the easy job of taking the tackle and going for the quick play-the-ball.

If the coach needs Evans in first grade and doesn’t trust his ball-playing he will tell him to put it away. But in a trial for f**king reserve grade why wouldn’t he tell his 2 metre first grader to bring the offloads? It’s a trial ffs. Telling Evans not to offload would defeat the purpose.

Nobody’s blaming them. The point is they weren’t responsible for generating chances (as you’d expect from such inexperienced players). From reading the reports that responsibility was firmly on French and Evans.

And my point is he’s only going to get those calls right through practice. Where better than a reserve grade trial?

I didn't say he shouldn't offload. Forget the paragraphs for a second, were you at the game?

Pou I can usually see where your argument is coming from even if I don't agree with it
But you can't polish excrement on this occasion
Evans has hardly got a ball away all preseason in contact yet that's all he tried to do last night and at the wrong end of the field. I want to see our front rowers looking for 2nd phase but if he was playing park footy he would have had his arse kicked by the coach last night. The other 3 front rowers all seemed to know and complete their jobs. He worked his way to the bottom of the order last night. Maybe he likes Ringrose on a Sunday

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou I can usually see where your argument is coming from even if I don't agree with it
But you can't polish excrement on this occasion
Evans has hardly got a ball away all preseason in contact yet that's all he tried to do last night and at the wrong end of the field. I want to see our front rowers looking for 2nd phase but if he was playing park footy he would have had his arse kicked by the coach last night. The other 3 front rowers all seemed to know and complete their jobs. He worked his way to the bottom of the order last night. Maybe he likes Ringrose on a Sunday
You must read something different to me when you see a player overplay his hand.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
No I’m going off the information you and others provided. Are you saying you didn’t report accurately?

No I'm saying that you don't know the context of when those offloads were thrown. As the experienced forward he should've shown that and not tried to force the offload. Even if the coach said for him to take a few risks, in those 2 instances the risk should have not been taken. The situations didn't call for an offload and it was immature of a 70 odd NRL game to throw the offloads in those situations.

Let's take Terepo as a better example, for the most part he charged directly into the line and when the situation was right he passed the ball to a half. That's showing experience, leadership and no doubt he would've been given similar instruction as Evans as the senior forwards in the team.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No I'm saying that you don't know the context of when those offloads were thrown. As the experienced forward he should've shown that and not tried to force the offload. Even if the coach said for him to take a few risks, in those 2 instances the risk should have not been taken. The situations didn't call for an offload and it was immature of a 70 odd NRL game to throw the offloads in those situations.

Let's take Terepo as a better example, for the most part he charged directly into the line and when the situation was right he passed the ball to a half. That's showing experience, leadership and no doubt he would've been given similar instruction as Evans as the senior forwards in the team.
Except offloads are Evans’ strength. They are not Terepo’s.

Obviously Evans threw a lot of passes he shouldn’t have, but this is a side effect of a player tasked with offloading the ball in a trial match where he was keen to make things happen. This is where he needs to get the mistakes out of his system and part of improving his decision making. They will go over the tape and pick out the good and bad decisions, practice at training and then try again in the next trial. If his confidence and judgement aren’t right by the time he’s required back in first grade he will be told not to offload. But while he’s in reserve grade where nobody cares about the result he will be working on his game, free to f**k up.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Except offloads are Evans’ strength. They are not Terepo’s.

Obviously Evans threw a lot of passes he shouldn’t have, but this is a side effect of a player tasked with offloading the ball in a trial match where he was keen to make things happen. This is where he needs to get the mistakes out of his system and part of improving his decision making. They will go over the tape and pick out the good and bad decisions, practice at training and then try again in the next trial. If his confidence and judgement aren’t right by the time he’s required back in first grade he will be told not to offload. But while he’s in reserve grade where nobody cares about the result he will be working on his game, free to f**k up.
Yep. Its wont matter next year while under the Wenty banner but they better smarten the f*** up once the put on that Eels jumper in 2020.