What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

King-Gutho94

Coach
This side is on par with the Panfers side that came through on 15-16-17

Not prioritising Sanders though will be the dumbest thing our club has done ( since signing Hodgson)
Well souths let go of Adam Reynolds and look what has happened.

Sometimes it's better with the devil you know in Moses then the devil you don't know in Sanders.

No one knows how Sanders will go in FG.

It's a tough one no doubt I reckon the club aren’t happy he is going.

JokerEel

Coach
Well souths let go of Adam Reynolds and look what has happened.

Sometimes it's better with the devil you know in Moses then the devil you don't know in Sanders.

No one knows how Sanders will go in FG.

It's a tough one no doubt I reckon the club aren’t happy he is going.

Sanders is coming through with a really good bunch of kids. Which you would think player together for the next 2 seasons then all slowey come into first grade and continue with these combinations.

I think the club and Sanders have ruined a good chance at the Eels.

Btw Illias is shit 😂 And I am happy South's have shit the bed.

JokerEel

Coach
We have Dylan Brown from that team

Being unhappy is better than paying too much for players you don’t need.

Huh.. I am talking about the whole team ffs we have a great group of kids lets instead off attacking my posts enjoy how good we are going Merkin!

Yeah I bet Katoa has now second thoughts on going to the Phins staying with the riff probably gets him the 5/8 spot if the Panthers don't keep Luai. With Katoa as a backup they probably would have leftLuai leave in 2025.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Huh.. I am talking about the whole team ffs we have a great group of kids lets instead off attacking my posts enjoy how good we are going Merkin!
You’re implying we should match Canberra’s offer, which is probably a top 13 amount. But the needs of your NRL team are the main factor In which promising juniors you retain, not whether they came through your system or how many mates they have. Yes it’s good that we have these kids but you can’t keep them all. Canberra have greater need than we do, so it makes sense that they got him. That’s how the salary cap is supposed to work.
Yeah I bet Katoa has now second thoughts on going to the Phins staying with the riff probably gets him the 5/8 spot if the Panthers don't keep Luai. With Katoa as a backup they probably would have leftLuai leave in 2025.
Penrith has benefitted by not having his Dolphins-top-13-sized contract and the player has benefitted by getting paid more and playing NRL sooner. It is literally win/win.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
A relevant question is do we have the right people in charge of recruitment and retention, whilst it’s good to understand they are reluctant to overspend, does MON for instance have the influence and persuasion necessary to attract, retain and recruit the upper echelon of players.
You really don't like O'Neill do you mate?

JokerEel

Coach
You’re implying we should match Canberra’s offer, which is probably a top 13 amount. But the needs of your NRL team are the main factor In which promising juniors you retain, not whether they came through your system or how many mates they have. Yes it’s good that we have these kids but you can’t keep them all. Canberra have greater need than we do, so it makes sense that they got him. That’s how the salary cap is supposed to work.

Penrith has benefitted by not having his Dolphins-top-13-sized contract and the player has benefitted by getting paid more and playing NRL sooner. It is literally win/win.

Is it a Win Win? He plays first grade earlier that's ok but is beneficial to his development? I don't think so..

jason taylor

Bench
My view of the Sanders situation is that the club had the following choice:
A) Securing Moses for one last big contract and hoping he leads us to a premiership.
B) Betting on the future and prioritising Sanders.

The reality is that our fanbase would have revolted if option B had been followed, and Moses had went off to sign a mega-deal at West Tigers ect. Plus after 2022, the logical decision was to lockdown Moses.
You can already see Raiders being in a similar position. They want to extend Fogerty for another season till 2025 (no doubt to help transition Sanders to first grade) but despite wanting to stay, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left to chase a longer contract, which would force Raiders to rely on Sanders a year earlier than they’d prefer.

Look at Penrith, they are facing a similar problem as we will with this current crop of juniors. By all reports they would have loved to have kept Hopgood - everyone knew he was going to be a future star. But they had Yeo in their team already.

hindy111

Post Whore
A) Securing Moses for one last big contract and hoping he leads us to a premiership.

The reality is that our fanbase would have revolted if option B had been followed, and Moses had went off to sign a mega-deal at West Tigers ect. Plus after 2022, the logical decision was to lockdown Moses.
You can already see Raiders being in a similar position. They want to extend Fogerty for another season till 2025 (no doubt to help transition Sanders to first grade) but despite wanting to stay, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left to chase a longer contract, which would force Raiders to rely on Sanders a year earlier than they’d prefer.

Look at Penrith, they are facing a similar problem as we will with this current crop of juniors. By all reports they would have loved to have kept Hopgood - everyone knew he was going to be a future star. But they had Yeo in their team already.

Sure but they finished top 4 - 4 yrs in a row. Maybe minor premiers 3 times pending on tonight's game. They time they finished 2nd was only points differential.
3 grand finals. 2 premiership. A possibility to add to that. Having that success then losing guys and rebuilding is acceptable.
We've finished top 4 once. And one grand final. And so how can we compare?

Gronk

Staff member

Eels eliminate reigning Premiers to advance to Finals Week Two​

AuthorNSWRLTimestampSat 2 Sep 2023, 01:39 PM

The Parramatta Eels’ season remains alive in the 2023 Jersey Flegg Cup, having downed the Penrith Panthers 30-20 in a 'Battle of the West' Elimination Final at North Sydney Oval.
By Sam Kosack
The Eels came back from an early 12-0 scoreline to progress to week two of the finals, while the reigning Premiers were eliminated from the finals series as a result of the loss.

First points came the way of the Panthers after 13 minutes of play. From a scrum close to the Eels' line, a shift to the right edge saw centre Samuel Lane crash through a hole, with winger Timothy Sielaff-Burns converting for a 6-0 lead.
The Panthers crossed again four minutes later through prop Peter Taateo off a crash play, with Sielaff-Burns adding the extras to extend Penrith’s lead to 12.
Parramatta responded in the 22nd minute through halfback Ethan Sanders. A quick play-the-ball saw hooker Matthew Arthur scoot to the try-line before popping a short ball to Sanders, who stormed over to reduce the margin to six.
Similar to the Eels’ first try, some slick dummy-half work from Arthur put No.15 Sam Tuivaiti on the front foot, muscling over multiple Panthers defenders to tie the game up for the Eels.
With 10 seconds left in the half, another short ball on from Arthur saw Eels centre Blaize Talagi slip through the Panthers' defence untouched, giving Parramatta an 18-12 lead at halftime.
Continuing his form from the first half, Arthur recorded his fourth try assist in 50 minutes when he darted out from hooker, this time putting prop Brock Parker over to extend the Eels lead back to 12.
Panthers centre Harrison Hassett ensured their season was still alive, scoring with 22 minutes remaining after the Eels failed to clean up a Penrith bomb, allowing the centre to follow through and grubber the ball for himself to reduce Parramatta’s lead to 24-16.
A diving effort from winger Matthew Komolafe in the corner put the Eels out to an ultimately unassailable 14-point lead in the 58th minute.

With Penrith needing to score next, a mighty solo effort from second-rower Riley Wake saw the Panthers reduce the deficit to 10 after 62 minutes. Wake carried numerous defenders with him over the line, but it wouldn’t be enough with Parramatta holding on for victory.

Talking points
  • Eels hooker Matthew Arthur was the standout, recording four try assists and guiding his team back into the contest after being 12-0 down early in the game.
  • Arthur will aim to continue his form if Parramatta are to progress beyond next week.
Key moment
With the margin still close towards the end of the match, an impressive try-saver from Eels fullback Te Hurinui Twidle would prove to be crucial in the result of the game. Twidle ankle tapped Panthers winger Angelis Hotere-Papalii as he raced down the sideline, sending him into touch only a metre out from scoring.
What's next?
The Eels progress to the Minor Semi-final of Jersey Flegg Cup next Saturday, where they will take on the loser of tomorrow’s Qualifying Final between the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Delboy

First Grade
You really don't like O'Neill do you mate?
Actually he is a pretty decent person and very likeable, I’m just looking at the big picture as a club that’s all.
If it’s a clunky, over arching committee system , change it and become more active and complete things more quickly than seems apparent, as I said it’s a big picture thing.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach

I like Moses don't get me wrong. I hope we can win a GF in the next few years.

He did though drag out his new contract for 1.2 mill a season the club needed to be tough.

All in the past now so let's see how it goes.