What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Gronk

Staff member
Be surprised if Ethyn Martin isn’t given a back end top 30 contract, heard he was signed as he’s a flyer and that’s what the club is searching for .
He’s a goer, but not real big.

Would Brett Dallas make it in 2023 ? Cos Ethyn Martin has got his DNA.

1694896736752.jpeg

Pazza

First Grade
Upsets can still happen though. We were looking pretty good in the first half.

True.

Maybe it's a good thing, the same group winning ball and flegg. You can just see scum like the Tigers and Manly reaching for the cheque book lol.

Gronk

Staff member
What people are you talking bout?

MA needs to stay in Flegg next year for mine.

Is Talagi even a centre? I know he has been shifted there due to Lynn and Sanders..He needs a good off season at centre to learn that position.

Our Forwards still give me a woody though they were better than the Roosters pack in the first half.
Both are still babies and based on what I found below, MA can play Ball in 2024. That’s probably the same for many of our Ball GF winners. I guess them playing Flegg or Ball first or even up in Cup early depends on their physical and mental maturity.

“To be eligible to participate in the 2024 SG Ball Cup, participants must be born in either 2005 or 2006, turning 19 or 18 years of age respectively.”

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Both are still babies and based on what I found below, MA can play Ball in 2024. That’s probably the same for many of our Ball GF winners. I guess them playing Flegg or Ball first or even up in Cup early depends on their physical and mental maturity.

“To be eligible to participate in the 2024 SG Ball Cup, participants must be born in either 2005 or 2006, turning 19 or 18 years of age respectively.”

They aren't babies, they're able to play first grade. There should be no reason for them to play SG Ball next year and if we're serious about developing first graders rather than winning junior competitions they should be doing an NRL pre-season then playing reserve grade if not from the start then at least for most of the year.

Gronk

Staff member
They aren't babies, they're able to play first grade. There should be no reason for them to play SG Ball next year and if we're serious about developing first graders rather than winning junior competitions they should be doing an NRL pre-season then playing reserve grade if not from the start then at least for most of the year.
I get that, however my premise is that players will mature at different stages and backs will generally be ready before forwards. I’m just saying that one rule won’t fit all players. Some of those Ball players might start in Cup. One or two may even start in Ball again, play some Flegg and rotate into Cup.

Pazza

First Grade
I get that, however my premise is that players will mature at different stages and backs will generally be ready before forwards. I’m just saying that one rule won’t fit all players. Some of those Ball players might start in Cup. One or two may even start in Ball again, play some Flegg and rotate into Cup.

Nothing wrong with a late bloomer, look at hopgood or niukore.

Soto

Bench
Completely agree. If there is 1, 2 or 3 ready to mix it in KOE or first grade then let it rip. They won't get the necessary experience playing junior comps.
Club needs to be ruthless here and promote the young ones who they think can/will make it.
I would get rid of 3/4 of the KOE team from this year...
Play the best juniors in KOE with a couple of them even knocking on the door of 1st grade.
A big off season and minutes in the 1st grade trials will sort out the men from the boys

JokerEel

Coach
I won’t lie. I’m very disappointed we didn’t make the jersey flag grand final after this current crop of juniors were touted as our next hope (especially after missing the finals).

We were a snow ball chance in hell of making the top 5 until our Ball kids came up and played Flegg.

A majority of them will be eligible for Flegg again next year which if they don't make the GF atleast then be disappointed.

JokerEel

Coach
Completely agree. If there is 1, 2 or 3 ready to mix it in KOE or first grade then let it rip. They won't get the necessary experience playing junior comps.
Club needs to be ruthless here and promote the young ones who they think can/will make it.
I would get rid of 3/4 of the KOE team from this year...
Play the best juniors in KOE with a couple of them even knocking on the door of 1st grade.
A big off season and minutes in the 1st grade trials will sort out the men from the boys

100% I would get ride of most of the KOE side this year..

Next year KOE side should be.

1.Miller-Stephen
2.Simmonson/Dunster
3. Talagi
4. Cini (unfortunately he is signed for next year)
5. Blackburn/Martin

6.Lynn
7.Asi

8.Makatoa
9.Davis
10. JJBM
11. Brazel
12. Mataele
13. Lenaz

14. Parker
15. Reed
16.Guymer
17.Tupou

18. Jirah

Avenger

Immortal
Just got back from a nice weekend away. What did I miss?

Looks like as always we are over hyping our juniors. They got crushed in Flegg and I hear from a person at the ground that Matt Arthur was pummelled by the big Roosters forwards. He described his performance as 💩

He also mentioned the winger Martin is already better than anything we have. Hopefully he has some blood relations with the Arthur’s or played at Rouse Hill so that he can make the Top 30.

parra pete

Referee
Just got back from a nice weekend away. What did I miss?

Looks like as always we are over hyping our juniors. They got crushed in Flegg and I hear from a person at the ground that Matt Arthur was pummelled by the big Roosters forwards. He described his performance as 💩

He also mentioned the winger Martin is already better than anything we have. Hopefully he has some blood relations with the Arthur’s or played at Rouse Hill so that he can make the Top 3

Matt Arthur had a strong game. The match was in the balance until the last minutes. Good effort by both teams. Well played.

Gronk

Staff member

1.Miller-Stephen
2.Simmonson/Dunster
3. Talagi
5. Blackburn/Martin

6.Lynn
7.Asi

8.Makatoa
9.Davis
10. JJBM
11. Brazel
12. Mataele
13. Lenaz

14. Parker
15. Reed
16.Guymer
17.Tupou

18. Jirah
Blackburn would be a tad shocked you put him on the wing. As would Ryan Matterson.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Of course one rule doesn't fit all players but they're not babies as you put. The ones who should play SG Ball again are Devonte Vaivela, Mohammed Alameddine etc who did not play Flegg, they're the players you should be referring to, not the ones who have already played Flegg.

Our best prospects for this age should not be playing SG Ball unless our goal is to win junior competitions. For mine it was a mistake to play Sanders, Guymer, and Pryke in SG Ball this year. Sanders was very good whilst the other 2 showed they were capable of handling the next step up. We knew they were good enough to play Flegg yet we played them in SG Ball, why? It made no sense then, it makes less sense now.

What would the ones who played Flegg this year learn from another year of SG Ball? They turned a mid table team into one of the best 3 whilst being 3 years under age. I assume most of them will be doing an NRL pre-season. If they hit their targets they should be playing in the highest grade possible next year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

1.Miller-Stephen
2.Simmonson/Dunster
3. Talagi
5. Blackburn/Martin

6.Lynn
7.Asi

8.Makatoa
9.Davis
10. JJBM
11. Brazel
12. Mataele
13. Lenaz

14. Parker
15. Reed
16.Guymer
17.Tupou

18. Jirah

Mataele is a middle, his mobility is too poor to defend on the edge.