What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Stone was told he was too small at the tigers. GL supposedly had a bad attitude at the titans. The dogs signed Joey Tramontana from us telling Mahoney he wasn't wanted. Schneider was told by Newcastle that he'd never make first grade.

Not all juniors are "stolen"

After reading this I had to contact my mate on the coaching staff at Newcastle Re: Schneider.
He informs me Schneider was wanted bye the knights and was offered a deal at the age of 15yo to stay. He had been with the club since 12yo training in the HPU. At the time Schneider was playing 5/8 - Lock at the club until he required surgery on a shoulder playing Harold matts trial a year young.
He also said the club all ways had high hopes for the kid but they never imagined he would end up in the hooking position.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We are a clib in a strong position. Why are people bagging the club at present?
Not sure why, we have a competitive squad with money to spend on a quality player.

Add in some quality juniors coming through we should have a 3 or 4 window for a shot at the title.

sixties

Juniors
Hi everyone. My first reply on LU.
I think we need to ensure that we don't confuse historical errors with the current identification and development system.
In years gone by, supporters could rightly point to the quality of Eels system juniors ( up to under 20s) playing at other clubs compared to those retained. Though some Eels juniors will always continue to get opportunities elsewhere, the quality that we keep will change for the better. Even now, some of the best are under contract till 2020/21.
Apart from current first graders like French and Ma'u (both found by Anthony Field) we are just starting to see the Fieldsy identified talent in or just graduating from Under 20s.
The stream of local and imported talent into the Eels system is going to produce plenty of NRL players, and we have to expect that quite a few will play elsewhere. Quality coaches in the Eels system, like Joey Grima, create programs designed to up skill even the most talented junior.
You can't have squads in every age group (14s to 18s plus 20s) and expect to keep every player. Not all are talented enough to play NRL, some find the commitment too demanding, not all meet the club's needs, and a number will be tempted by overs money.
Regarding some of the younger fringe players coming through, they were identified as genuine talents by the Eels ( Fieldsy) and their previous clubs weren't interested in them.
Ray Stone - unwanted by JT at the Tigers. Bargain recruit. A young Beau Scott type
Reed Mahoney - unwanted by Dogs who signed Joey Tremontana from Eels instead! Keeps getting better.
GL - offloaded by Titans. His power speaks for itself
Schneider - left the Knights system himself - now has genuine pathway earned and mapped out.
Faingaa - recruited from Wests after an injury. Could be anything.
The long term aim of identifying and developing future first graders is paramount. Winning or challenging in Matts, Ball or Flegg would then become a natural consequence rather than the major ambition.
The interview with Anthony Field on TCT is a worthwhile listen for anyone interested in more details on the Eels system.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we need to ensure that we don't confuse historical errors with the current identification and development system.
In years gone by, supporters could rightly point to the quality of Eels system juniors ( up to under 20s) playing at other clubs compared to those retained. Though some Eels juniors will always continue to get opportunities elsewhere, the quality that we keep will change for the better. Even now, some of the best are under contract till 2020/21.
Apart from current first graders like French and Ma'u (both found by Anthony Field) we are just starting to see the Fieldsy identified talent in or just graduating from Under 20s.
The stream of local and imported talent into the Eels system is going to produce plenty of NRL players, and we have to expect that quite a few will play elsewhere. Quality coaches in the Eels system, like Joey Grima, create programs designed to up skill even the most talented junior.
You can't have squads in every age group (14s to 18s plus 20s) and expect to keep every player. Not all are talented enough to play NRL, some find the commitment too demanding, not all meet the club's needs, and a number will be tempted by overs money.
Regarding some of the younger fringe players coming through, they were identified as genuine talents by the Eels ( Fieldsy) and their previous clubs weren't interested in them.
Ray Stone - unwanted by JT at the Tigers. Bargain recruit. A young Beau Scott type
Reed Mahoney - unwanted by Dogs who signed Joey Tremontana from Eels instead! Keeps getting better.
Schneider - left the Knights system himself - now has genuine pathway earned and mapped out.
The long term aim of identifying and developing future first graders is paramount. Winning or challenging in Matts, Ball or Flegg would then become a natural consequence rather than the major ambition.
The interview with Anthony Field on TCT is a worthwhile listen for anyone interested in more details on the Eels system.

Thanks for dropping in. I enjoy your write ups. Appreciated by many.
Weclome to stop by here for a chat anytime. Please excuse some of the nut jobs on here. There are a few excellent posters on here. Including myself. If ever need someone to do a few write ups or power rankings im more then happy too help out.
I have a super eye for talent and right 85% of time. Maybe even let the coaching staff know down at Parra. I have had plenty of offers so i can guarantee I will be available.

sixties

Juniors
Thanks for dropping in. I enjoy your write ups. Appreciated by many.
Weclome to stop by here for a chat anytime. Please excuse some of the nut jobs on here. There are a few excellent posters on here. Including myself. If ever need someone to do a few write ups or power rankings im more then happy too help out.
I have a super eye for talent and right 85% of time. Maybe even let the coaching staff know down at Parra. I have had plenty of offers so i can guarantee I will be available.

Thanks for the welcome. 85% eh?

Good luck convincing some of our lot that the laws of mathematics are binding.

84 Baby

Referee
I can't believe no one gave you official welcome...

Welcome, merkin!

Glenneel

Bench
Na you're just trying to badmouth the club like you usually do. Not really decent conversation.
But just for conversation's sake, here's a list of players currently at other clubs (per NRL site) that were our juniors (to the best of my knowledge)
Broncos - Dargan - he'd have probably been behind Smith, Taka & KE for half injury replacements, let alone the more established halves
Dogs - Klemmer - ok he's a bad loss, but he also left at a very young age (I think)
- Reimis Smith - who I hear you say
Cows - Asiata? - decent but hardly an improvement on current stocks
Drags - Latimore & Allgood - enough said + both played 1st grade here
Knights - Sio - been around the world & played 1st grade here
Panfers - Maloney - probably the worst loss of the list
Rabbits - Fuimaono - timing was issue i.e. no spot in 1st grade + better wraps on younger players behind him
Raiders - Paulo - played 1st grade here, "had to leave area"
Rorters - Matterson - maybe
- Keary - 1 good season for Souths
- Tupou - on & off
- Curran - who?
Moanly - Kelepi - played 1st grade for us, how much has he played elsewhere?
- J Wright - no + played 1st grade here
- J Lussick - we stole him from Moanly anyway
- Keppie reportedly - unknown at this stage
Sharks - Gallen - yeah na
Scum - Kamikamica - who?
Tigers - Twal - maybe
- Aloiai & Eisenhuth - probably not

So really you're crying over Maloney, a young Klemmer, occasionally Tupou and maybe Twal, Matterson & Fuimaono & perhaps you'll get to justify your whinging over Keppie. And given the time span over losing those players, it's hardly an epidemic. But whinge on!

Edit - just because - of the 23 player listed there, 6 played 1st grade for us & Lussick is hardly our junior. From the remaining 16 there are 3 Aus reps (also being 2 premiers & a grand finalist) + 2 more premiers (not including Kamikamica) + 1 grand finalist, but to counter that Klemmer & Gallen left in what SG Ball? Did Keary even play Parra juniors or was he just from catchment area? In summation, I don't expect a reply
I think you just agreed with a point I made.

Glenneel

Bench
Yeah somehow I posted mid typing, updated now
84 I think you missed the gist of the article, our huge fiscal loss. Parra RLC cannot keep affording to fork out $10-12m to the footy club as it has big expansion plans of its own and needs the money to pay off the loans. One day, and soon I'd suggest, the gravy train will cease so we need value for money. Someone will come in and reduce expenses to the bone and where the return is not commensurate with the cost it'll be scrapped or cost greatly reduced.

Last edited:
84 I think you missed the gist of the article, our huge fiscal loss. Parra RLC cannot keep affording to fork out $10-12m to the footy club as it has big expansion plans of its own and needs the money to pay off the loans. One day, and soon I'd suggest, the gravy train will cease so we need value for money. Someone will come in and reduce expenses to the bone and where the return is not commensurate with the cost it'll be scrapped or cost greatly reduced.

So, do you think that all revenues that result (directly or indirectly) from having a team in the NRL are included in the calculation of that loss? There are very obvious reasons why the subsidy to the PNRL is larger at the moment (we just played a season without our real home ground). That is going to change.

Latest posts