What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels prop Justin Poore completes shock switch to English Super League side

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tim Mannah saw his brother relapse with a horrible illness this year - no doubt that affected his mental state. I suppose that would be Kearney's fault, too?

Tonga spent half the year in and out of our injuries list.

Horo has always been a hot and cold pea heart.

Allgood did what he always did in my opinion.

And Sandow played behind a beaten pack all season.

Kearney failed in many ways, but exactly was he 100% responsible for the above?

Also, guys like Nathan Smith, Matt Ryan, Cheyse Blair and Ryan Morgan all had digs at establishing themselves. That is a credit to Kearney. Surely people are not so blinded they are willing to see that he did do some good?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tim Mannah saw his brother relapse with a horrible illness this year - no doubt that affected his mental state. I suppose that would be Kearney's fault, too?

Also, guys like Nathan Smith, Matt Ryan, Cheyse Blair and Ryan Morgan all had digs at establishing themselves. That is a credit to Kearney. Surely people are not so blinded they are willing to see that he did do some good?

Spot on mate.

Allgood was just as good as last year, and Sandow actually managed more LBAs behind a beaten pack. He improved as a playmaker under Kearney, as did Hayne.

Mannah had an off year, and Horo has always been ordinary other than part of 2010.

Some people are just blinded by hate.

Noise

Coach

No he may not have been 100% responsible but as coach he is definately a contributing factor would you not agree? IMO one of the main areas he failed in (among others) was player development. What areas do you think he failed in?

I believe he did do some good. Although i question some of his recruiting it appears that we haven't spent big money on a bunch of long term deals (hopoate the exception)

bartman

Immortal
How is it though, really?

You can't have it both ways - explaining away the poor form of some players due to their individual circumstances (so that the coach avoids the share of blame), but simultaneously crediting the individual digs of debutants to the coach? :crazy:

And why, with the signing of Ricky and Ken and what lies ahead, are you guys still talking about the record of the worst coach our club has ever had?

Eelementary

Post Whore
No he may not have been 100% responsible but as coach he is definately a contributing factor would you not agree? IMO one of the main areas he failed in (among others) was player development. What areas do you think he failed in?

I believe he did do some good. Although i question some of his recruiting it appears that we haven't spent big money on a bunch of long term deals (hopoate the exception)

I do agree, but I'm just trying to explain that he was able to get some players playing well. I even reckon Keating played his best football this season.

I'd say Kearney failed in the tactical side (such as bench use, plans, etc.) and recruitment (though he was able to nab a few big names).

Eelementary

Post Whore
How is it though, really?

You can't have it both ways - explaining away the poor form of some players due to their individual circumstances (so that the coach avoids the share of blame), but simultaneously crediting the individual digs of debutants to the coach? :crazy:

And why, with the signing of Ricky and Ken and what lies ahead, are you guys still talking about the record of the worst coach our club has ever had?

That line was a roundabout way of saying Kearney helped to develop those players by playing them, and I think they turned out pretty good.

Once again, he's not blameless - but Tim Mannah, for one, should probably be exempt from too much criticism, given his circumstances, and as for the other blokes mentioned, I was just illustrating that their form wasn't necessarily that bad.

I do agree, though, that it's time to move on.

Eels Dude

Coach
It would be tough for Tim Mannah no doubt, but I don't think you can really use his brothers illness as justifiable for his drop in form. Most players over the course of their career would have to deal with a serious illness to a loved one, there's probably a number of players doing so right now but you just don't hear about it because its private.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It would be tough for Tim Mannah no doubt, but I don't think you can really use his brothers illness as justifiable for his drop in form. Most players over the course of their career would have to deal with a serious illness to a loved one, there's probably a number of players doing so right now but you just don't hear about it because its private.

Having lost my dad in a shock accident just [almost] two years ago, let me tell you this: justifying it by using phrases like "lots of people go through it" or "that is life sometimes" does not make things easier and, while Jon is not deceased (and I sincerely hope he doesn't pass on for many decades to come), he is a young man, meaning that the situation he and his family must go through is even more difficult.

To put it bluntly, one million players could go through it, and it would not mean much - everyone handles their pain and grief differently. Besides, anyone who wouldn't have that in the back of their minds is a robot.

I believe what happened to poor Jon Mannah is a more than justifiable reason as to why Tim's game may have suffered.

And, according to the NRL website, Tim's stats for 2012 were:

24 games played
264 hit-ups
2,398 metres (for 9.08 metres per hit-up)
1 linebreak
13 offloads
564 tackles
27 missed tackles (meaning his effective tackle percentage was 95.21%)
9 errors

So...Was Tim Mannah playing that poorly in 2012? I didn't notice him making as much of an impact, but that doesn't mean he wasn't playing well and putting in - I thought he was solid in '12.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was indeed solid this year. He just wasn't as good as in 2011 when we played more up the middle. Last year he and Fui were outstanding. They made it easier for guys like Allgood and Shackleton.

Sphagnum

Coach
My theory is that Kearney, like Brian Smith has a diction that would make you want to punch yourself in the face until your ear drums exploded so you eventually just play like a busted so the club gets rid of them.

Listening to either of them talk is like sticking your junk in a blender full of dencorub. It would be so hard to get motivated under those circumstances.

I'm always surprised that Des Hasler does so well as a coach. It might be because even though it sounds awful, it actually has some intelligence behind it, unlike the other two aforementioned merkins.

Suitman

Post Whore
My theory is that Kearney, like Brian Smith has a diction that would make you want to punch yourself in the face until your ear drums exploded so you eventually just play like a busted so the club gets rid of them.

Listening to either of them talk is like sticking your junk in a blender full of dencorub. It would be so hard to get motivated under those circumstances.

I'm always surprised that Des Hasler does so well as a coach. It might be because even though it sounds awful, it actually has some intelligence behind it, unlike the other two aforementioned merkins.

Sphaggy,

Don't muck around mate.
Tell us what you really think.

Suity

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Having lost my dad in a shock accident just [almost] two years ago, let me tell you this: justifying it by using phrases like "lots of people go through it" or "that is life sometimes" does not make things easier and, while Jon is not deceased (and I sincerely hope he doesn't pass on for many decades to come), he is a young man, meaning that the situation he and his family must go through is even more difficult.

To put it bluntly, one million players could go through it, and it would not mean much - everyone handles their pain and grief differently. Besides, anyone who wouldn't have that in the back of their minds is a robot.

I believe what happened to poor Jon Mannah is a more than justifiable reason as to why Tim's game may have suffered.

And, according to the NRL website, Tim's stats for 2012 were:

24 games played
264 hit-ups
2,398 metres (for 9.08 metres per hit-up)
1 linebreak
13 offloads
564 tackles
27 missed tackles (meaning his effective tackle percentage was 95.21%)
9 errors

So...Was Tim Mannah playing that poorly in 2012? I didn't notice him making as much of an impact, but that doesn't mean he wasn't playing well and putting in - I thought he was solid in '12.

I am pretty sure mannah polled quite high in the forums player of year award which is voted for us posters. Maybe top three or four he placed I think

bartman

Immortal
That line was a roundabout way of saying Kearney helped to develop those players by playing them, and I think they turned out pretty good.
But wasn't supercoach's hand forced to play these "juniors" by the injuries that have been listed on the previous page? Do we credit kearney for random injuries now? :crazy:

I do agree, though, that it's time to move on.
Well if you and your mate stop posting shabby theories and excuses for SK's performance, then we all can!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But wasn't supercoach's hand forced to play these "juniors" by the injuries that have been listed on the previous page? Do we credit kearney for random injuries now? :crazy:

He got rid of players because of his faith in the young guys.

Well if you and your mate stop posting shabby theories and excuses for SK's performance, then we all can!

If you keep feeling the need to shriek at every differing opinion whenever we discuss the positives of the past two years then no, we can't.

bartman

Immortal
Sorry mate, can't respond to your conversation.... ;-)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 9

Eelementary

Post Whore

Was he? Pretty sure Kearney could have just played Tonga (when fit) and Horo in the centres if he wanted to. But he often went for Morgan and Blair.

And in case you haven't noticed, my comments are always in reply to you and your bigoted brigade's attempt at belittling everything Kearney ever did for this club - I never start these arguments. I simply try to add perspective and levity, seeing as so many of you seem to lack it so sorely.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Was he? Pretty sure Kearney could have just played Tonga (when fit) and Horo in the centres if he wanted to. But he often went for Morgan and Blair.

And in case you haven't noticed, my comments are always in reply to you and your bigoted brigade's attempt at belittling everything Kearney ever did for this club - I never start these arguments. I simply try to add perspective and levity, seeing as so many of you seem to lack it so sorely.

I don't think they really want a rational discussion. Don't waste your time mate.

Suitman

Post Whore

Perspective.
That's a wonderful word in this discussion.

Suity

Latest posts