What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels win race for Ben Roberts

Curleel

Juniors
Will be interesting to see how he comes back from all this mess. His training form has been reported as being very good. Also, Sterlo reckons he has halfback potential and he knows more about that stuff than most of us do.

TheRam

Coach
Well I disagree mate. If you don't know until you give him a 'fair shot' then how do you know with any player?

The club knows what they want from a player at that position (halves) and if Humble's not showing it in the lower grades then he won't show it in first grade.

So far Humble's shown a lot of line breaking ability in the lower grades, but whatever else they want from him they'll be able to see it (or not) before he gets to first grade.

Personally I think Humble looks more like a first grade fullback than a half but like you I haven't seen him at training or known how well he follows a gameplan in reserve grade.

Oh Pou you think you know, you think you know, but then...you don't.

How many bleeding times have players been average to solid in the lower grades, but then shone beyond all expectations in the NRL?

But hey keep giving us those stats buddy, you sound real knowledgeable. No really.

Oh and Pou, we all know fullback was his main and preferred position as well as playing a little 5/8th when he 1st came here. Good try though. ;-) :lol:

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh Pou you think you know, you think you know, but then...you don't.

Mate you saying it doesn't make it true.

If I'm wrong then surely you could show me where. I'm just here to learn, TheRam.

But I'm also here to teach.

How many bleeding times have players been average to solid in the lower grades, but then shone beyond all expectations in the NRL?

Never.

They might only have looked average to idiot fans but clearly the coaching staff saw something well above average in them and so gave them a shot in first grade.

Bear in mind Humble's already had a shot in first grade - several of them. So you can't talk about him like he's some guy who never had a chance.

I'll admit he looks dangerous, but fast guys always do.

But hey keep giving us those stats buddy, you sound real knowledgeable. No really.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened by stats. I'll try to shield you from them in the future.

But here's some stats for you:

Tom Humble
First grade games: f**k all

Oh and Pou, we all know fullback was his main and preferred position as well as playing a little 5/8th when he 1st came here. Good try though. ;-) :lol:

His best football was played in the 6 jersey in Qld Cup and that's where you morons are pushing for him to play. If his preferred position is fullback then it's all the more reason not to play him in the halves. Except his other favourite position is apparently halfback.

So why aren't you pushing for him to replace Robson? He won't even f**king be here next year.

Winky face laughy face you f**ken twit.

caylo

Bench
From the small things I have seen with Humble is he runs good lines at 5-8, has a decent short kicking game and distributes well (he runs to the line first and also is good at picking option runners).

What I have seen mortimer do well is dumby and go himself and kick well occasionally (I probably should say rarely now). Mortimer struggles to pick the right option runner and inevitably throws a handful of hospital balls every week, he also looks confused with the ball in hand too often. Mortimer also can't run and pass, his decision making is too slow for that and that means he is so predictable because he does everything before the line.

Humble is also a better defender then Mortimer and is quicker but humble isn't explosive off the mark so most of what he does in Wenty is distribute and he does that very well. I think Humbles game is very similar to Roberts or Anasta type 5-8.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mate you saying it doesn't make it true.

If I'm wrong then surely you could show me where. I'm just here to learn, TheRam.

But I'm also here to teach.

Never.

They might only have looked average to idiot fans but clearly the coaching staff saw something well above average in them and so gave them a shot in first grade.

Bear in mind Humble's already had a shot in first grade - several of them. So you can't talk about him like he's some guy who never had a chance.

I'll admit he looks dangerous, but fast guys always do.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened by stats. I'll try to shield you from them in the future.

But here's some stats for you:

Tom Humble
First grade games: f**k all

His best football was played in the 6 jersey in Qld Cup and that's where you morons are pushing for him to play. If his preferred position is fullback then it's all the more reason not to play him in the halves. Except his other favourite position is apparently halfback.

So why aren't you pushing for him to replace Robson? He won't even f**king be here next year.

Winky face laughy face you f**ken twit.

:lol:

One of your best, Pou!

mickdo

Coach
Will be interesting to see how he comes back from all this mess. His training form has been reported as being very good. Also, Sterlo reckons he has halfback potential and he knows more about that stuff than most of us do.

Sterlo also thought Mortimer had potential at 7

Gronk

Staff member
Heads up: Wed 25/5 on FoxSports is the Canterbury vs Newtown match featuring Roberts.

Gronk

Staff member
Roberts is selected this week at 6 with KK at 7 to play the Sharks on Sat night.

Gronk

Staff member
Ben Roberts concedes his career at the Canterbury Bulldogs could finish after this weekend

722397-ben-roberts.jpg
BEN Roberts knows this could be his last NRL game for the Bulldogs.

After six seasons and 86 games, the star five-eighth knows this could be the last time he wears the No.6 blue-and-white jersey after spending the start of 2011 in exile in the NSW Cup.
The former Kiwi international, who has signed a two-year-deal with Parramatta beginning in 2012, has promised to take every opportunity he is given with both hands and is still confident of playing an important role in the NRL this year.
The problem for Roberts is coach Kevin Moore seems certain Kris Keating and halfback Trent Hodkinson are the best combination at the club, and Hodkinson returns from suspension next week.
There is also pressure on the side to get back in the winning circle, with just one win in the past seven weeks.
The 25-year-old knows Sunday's must-win clash with the Sharks at ANZ Stadium is now or never.
"I want to get out there and get back to that form that I had in 2009, if not better," Roberts said yesterday.
"I'm pretty confident that I can take my game to another level. It has been a long time coming and I'm looking forward to this week and the challenge ahead.
"I've been biding my time in reserve grade. Doing everything out there to get my chance. This week is the time so hopefully I can step up and do the job well."
Roberts admits there were times he found it difficult to deal with his surprise demotion, but strong support from mum Tracy, dad Willie and girlfriend Renee has kept him positive and determined.
"It's a test of character," he said. "If anything it's made me a better person.
"A bit of a wake-up call to take every chance you get given in first-grade."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ter-this-weekend/story-e6frfgbo-1226076728918

EELICIT

Juniors
lets hope he has a blinder, i for one am looking forward to see how he goes as we have him next year

The Colonel

Immortal
lets hope he has a blinder, i for one am looking forward to see how he goes as we have him next year

He goes. If it wasn't for Barba the Dogs wouldn't have much. Funnily enough the rumour mill suggests Keating is unhappy at the Dogs and could be off to the Dragons (todays Herald or Telegraph, can't remember which one)

boxhead

First Grade
Roberts didn't get the ball much from what I saw and was a bit off the pace, but that makes sense considering he hasn't played firsts in a while, Keating is a ball hog and the team in general was crap.

Kornstar

Coach
He goes. If it wasn't for Barba the Dogs wouldn't have much. Funnily enough the rumour mill suggests Keating is unhappy at the Dogs and could be off to the Dragons (todays Herald or Telegraph, can't remember which one)

I still maintain that i don't feel like we have won anything as the thread title suggests.....

Delboy

First Grade
Hard to play outside KK at times, and inside Frank Pritchard. Both were absolute waste of space today, when Andrew Ryan at 150 years old is your best forward, you have some issues.

Dogs were really terrible today, coach is in serious trouble methinks

The Colonel

Immortal
I still maintain that i don't feel like we have won anything as the thread title suggests.....

We were competing against other teams for his signature. Where the other clubs wanted to play him is anyones guess....... I don't think it was as the first choice 5/8.

Delboy said:
Hard to play outside KK at times, and inside Frank Pritchard. Both were absolute waste of space today, when Andrew Ryan at 150 years old is your best forward, you have some issues.

Dogs were really terrible today, coach is in serious trouble methinks

No doubt. Not sure though that it is only who he was playing outside or inside of.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Roberts is average at best. Mistake riddled. Hope I'm wrong.

He's definitely rocks and diamonds but if his attitude's right that can be changed.

The main thing is he defends well and he's a left footed kicker which is always nice to have. I'd say the fact he's in reserve grade right now would have kept his price reasonable during negotiations.

Latest posts