What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
AFL Merkin was Head of Performance. We didn’t perform.

There’s my internal review.

However, if you read the whole post you would know that I wasn’t just referring to AFL Merkin. It seems no one will be held to account for the 2018 season.

FFS, Penrith were a top 4 side when they punted their coach and Brisbane are doing well and for whatever reason, have already decided that Bennet won’t be extended. These are the kinds of clubs who hold their staff to account.

It seems that the NRL is a performance based industry...except when it comes to the Eels.
It’s not a very thorough review is it?

eel01s

Bench
I am hopeful that this review actually leads to the right people being employed to fix our many shortcomings.

Noise

Coach
So the review is going to result in a head of football and assistant strength and conditioning guy. Yep that will fix things.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Righto, it just seems that AFL Guy was the guy (along with BA) that has been thrown under the bus in these forums. Our form started to turn around after the first Cows game and many here attributed this to AFL stepping aside. My lay understanding of strength and conditioning is that if you have been poorly prepared, you can’t swing your strength and endurance base around that quickly. So there must be more to it.

My observations of the first dozen games was that we got found out by teams who “worked us out”. We failed to change what worked for us in late 2016 and in 2017. We were stunned mentally as a playing group and the coaching staff that what used to work now found us being dominated. We may have looked cooked on the field, but we were a team who were starved of possession due to a cluster f**k of unforced errors, stale tactics and shattered confidence. We looked cooked as a consequence of only having 30 or 40% possession and having to make sometimes twice the number of tackles.

For mine, if you wish to attribute blame to our failure this season you need to analyse the circumstances of each game and what could have been done better. Once isolated, these flaws can be attributed to individuals. IIRC we lost nearly 10 games by less than a few points and 8 games when we scored an equal number of tries.

In those games which we lost by a close margin, I thought that our biggest flaw was the failure to come away with points in the red zone. We would work hard to get down there and then run predictable block plays or just run sideways.

I don’t mind holding players and staff to account, but when going through this process it needs to be done with clear realistic eyes, making sure that you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. You don’t pay out a coach or move on a player unless you have something better lined up. The last thing I want are rookie halves and a new coach who needs to embark on yet another 5 year plan so he can build his squad.

IMHO if the club does not see a future with BA, then I think they need to move him on now. I say this on the basis that they have a better coach (not just a merkin with potential) lined up. We have a huge number of players coming off contract at end 2019 and the new guy should be able to be active in the market from November.
AFL guys only titty twister

Happy MEel

First Grade
I wouldnt know, i havent seen the real one ..... just heard bits n pieces from people on here

Can you send me a copy of the real one, thanks
Isn’t that the point? The “comprehensive” review hasn’t even been completed, in which all parts of the football program was going to be looked at...

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/07/11/club-update-football-department-review/

...and yet 4 weeks in the Chairman has already guaranteed the coach is safe because the lads like him and think they’re well prepared on game day. Results suggest otherwise.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/10...says-coach-brad-arthurs-job-is-safe-for-2019/

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
As i said, i have no idea cos im not involved and havent seen anything ..... if i ever see it then i will make a judgement on whether it was a total farce .... until then i will probably go on believing theres a f**kload i know nothing about, but theres gotta be a whole bunch of shit wrong

hineyrulz

Post Whore
AFL guy is Head of Performance and likely to stay.
Jiminez will be strength and conditioning.
Review what review???

The review hasn’t finished but already two duds are assured their spots.

A bloke who has fundamentally failed the club this season gets to stay because our tight arse penny pinching merkin Auditor running the club doesn’t want to spend the money???

And a 10m dollar loss, the myth is doing a bang up job.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So your internal review has concluded that AFL Guy should lose his job.

That may well be legitimate and I don’t doubt you. Keen to see your findings however.
Our first 6-10 weeks this season wasn’t evidence enough??? Why did we hire a new guy If the AFL gimp wasn’t doing such a great job???

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So where is the accountability for this season?

Surely it was AFL merkin’s responsibility to get the players in peak condition this year...he didn’t.

It was BA’s responsibility to build a roster and develop a game plan and tactics to be successful on the field...he didn’t.

It was the player’s responsibility to turn up and perform every game with the right attitude and put in every game...they didn’t.

If what you’re saying is true, It’s now looking like AFL merkin is staying, BA is staying and if the re-signings you suggested are happening, most of the playing roster will be here next year as well.

It seems all the review has done is suggest bringing more people in. Whilst some of these appointments may be necessary, what does that say to everyone employed at the club?

“Don’t worry if you fail, we’ll just get some more staff and everything will be sweet.”

Name me one other industry where that would be the case? Merkins would be losing their jobs if an organisation failed to the level the Parramatta Eels have in 2018 as there has to at least be a perception of accountability that if you don’t do your job, you won’t have a contract with the club.
Welcome to Parramatta, where failure is rewarded.

As long as we get rid of that merkin Norman, it’s all him and his bad attitudes fault.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As i said, i have no idea cos im not involved and havent seen anything ..... if i ever see it then i will make a judgement on whether it was a total farce .... until then i will probably go on believing theres a f**kload i know nothing about, but theres gotta be a whole bunch of shit wrong
That's fine.

But I prefer to go off half cocked like a total f**kwit based on a couple of lines that one person posted on here.

Gronk

Staff member
Our first 6-10 weeks this season wasn’t evidence enough??? Why did we hire a new guy If the AFL gimp wasn’t doing such a great job???

Once again you’re flapping your arms about, trying to justify rumour and innuendo based on circumstantial evidence.

It may well be true that he has NFI in preparing an NRL side. Similarly it could be that he was forced to prepare the side understaffed and like other aspects of our club right now.

What is foolish in my view is to draw conclusions without knowing all the facts.

Proper analysis of the factors of an organisation- root cause analysis (RCA) [ping @Poupou Escobar] seems to be far more complex than you are prepared to accept. Fishbone diagram IIRC.

images

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's fine.

But I prefer to go off half cocked like a total f**kwit based on a couple of lines that one person posted on here.
You’re right. Let’s not have opinions, it’s an Internet forum after all. We need 100% proof before we can come to any kind of conclusions or summations.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Once again you’re flapping your arms about, trying to justify rumour and innuendo based on circumstantial evidence.

It may well be true that he has NFI in preparing an NRL side. Similarly it could be that he was forced to prepare the side understaffed and like other aspects of our club right now.

What is foolish in my view is to draw conclusions without knowing all the facts.

Proper analysis of the factors of an organisation- root cause analysis (RCA) [ping @Poupou Escobar] seems to be far more complex than you are prepared to accept. Fishbone diagram IIRC.

images
Yawn, titty twisters gunna Nuthug.