What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

strider

Post Whore
Am I correct saying Irvine was one of those who rolled over and gave the NRL all the info?

Mistake of a lifetime - get a NRL get out of jail free card, but end up done for fraud

From Muznik's post.

Eels manager charged over salary scandal
FEBRUARY 6, 20175:07PM

Australian Associated Press

Former Parramatta Eels football manager Jason Irvine has been charged over the salary cap scandal at the NRL club.

NSW Police arrested the 42-year-old in Leichhardt on Monday and charged him with knowingly dealing with the proceeds of crime, dishonestly obtaining property by deception, and acting with intent to pervert the course of justice.

Barry 1
Law.Com 0
Half-time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Explosive new documents allege Brisbane recruiter Peter Nolan gave star playmaker Corey Norman cash payments at Top Ryde car park during his time at Parramatta as part of the club's rorting of the salary cap.

what exactly are "explosive documents" ?

Gronk

Staff member
what exactly are "explosive documents" ?

200.gif

oldmancraigy

Coach
Gronk, I was thinking more like 'this message will self destruct in x seconds'

Quite convenient for the journo - no need to produce evidence since it blew up.

So what's the NRL's position going to be if a court finds that Norman's alleged cash payments are found to implicate him with actively participating in the contravention of the salary cap?

Not to mention the potential subsequent ato suits?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So what's the NRL's position going to be if a court finds that Norman's alleged cash payments are found to implicate him with actively participating in the contravention of the salary cap?

Not to mention the potential subsequent ato suits?
Yeah nah the players are all blameless. That's what scapegoats are for.

emjaycee

Coach
They would have to prove that Nolan (and Norman) knew the source of the money was the alleged fraudulent activity. If Seward simply handed a bag of cash to Nolan and said give this to Corey, doesn't mean Nolan knew it was illegal money. Sure he broke the NRL's rules, but is it illegal to pay someone in cash?

How is it that the underling is the only guy charged yet Seward and the others remain untouched? Do the police get their information from the NRL?

Chipmunk

Coach
How is it that the underling is the only guy charged yet Seward and the others remain untouched? Do the police get their information from the NRL?

Hasnt Seward moved to Victoria? Not as easy to charge someone in a different state (although not impossible and would be done if offence was large enough).

He may be well still be charged. People being charged in the same activity don't always get charged at the same time.

PS - I've now just read the article. The proceeds of crime and perverting the course of justice are interesting charges. If it's my understanding you would need to prove a crime has occurred, or at least have pretty good prima facie evidence to charge someone with this. What crime has even come anywhere near a court for salary cap breaches?

If Im not mistaken, to pervert the course of justice you need to undertake actions that are already before the courts (but, I'm happy to be proved wrong with that).

Am I missing something here???

Last edited:
Hasnt Seward moved to Victoria? Not as easy to charge someone in a different state (although not impossible and would be done if offence was large enough).

He may be well still be charged. People being charged in the same activity don't always get charged at the same time.
I guess Irvine didn't get the heads up from Todd courtesy of Baird that a change of scenery might be good for him.

I won't be holding my breath waiting to see Seward charged or even Nolan dealt with by the NRL. Surely all this info is months old and was collected at the same time. Small fry get punished. Those with protection slip through the cracks.

Chipmunk

Coach
I won't be holding my breath waiting to see Seward charged or even Nolan dealt with by the NRL. Surely all this info is months old and was collected at the same time. Small fry get punished. Those with protection slip through the cracks.

Fraud offences can take a while to compile the evidence for to get to a point to charge someone. Also with fraud offences, there is generally no rush, as the evidence is generally not going anywhere.

Latest posts