What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Stagger eel

Staff member
This reason, by any chance...?

347E4F3400000578-3603134-image-m-24_1463929248666.jpg

So what's that got to do with Nolan supposedly giving a bag cash to Norman at a car park in Ryde?? .... as far as I can see they are 2 completely different situations.

Fraud offences can take a while to compile the evidence for to get to a point to charge someone. Also with fraud offences, there is generally no rush, as the evidence is generally not going anywhere.
Let's hope so. Obviously you've got far more knowledge about this stuff. Do you reckon we'll see further developments?

Chipmunk

Coach
Let's hope so. Obviously you've got far more knowledge about this stuff. Do you reckon we'll see further developments?

Possibly, the charging of Irvine is certainly an interesting development to say the least. It's also interesting that he was arrested (although that could be just paper talk). I would've thought with offences like that they'd just give him a summons to appear.

Hasnt Seward moved to Victoria? Not as easy to charge someone in a different state (although not impossible and would be done if offence was large enough).

He may be well still be charged. People being charged in the same activity don't always get charged at the same time.

PS - I've now just read the article. The proceeds of crime and perverting the course of justice are interesting charges. If it's my understanding you would need to prove a crime has occurred, or at least have pretty good prima facie evidence to charge someone with this. What crime has even come anywhere near a court for salary cap breaches?

If Im not mistaken, to pervert the course of justice you need to undertake actions that are already before the courts (but, I'm happy to be proved wrong with that).

Am I missing something here???
Sorry, didn't see your edit. I don't know. Nothing afaik got near the courts.

let's hope the cops don't stop at Irvine, wouldn't mind see a few of his fellow former managers / directors have to answer some questions. Shonky as!

84 Baby

Referee
If Im not mistaken, to pervert the course of justice you need to undertake actions that are already before the courts (but, I'm happy to be proved wrong with that).

Am I missing something here???
I don't think it needs to be before the courts. Pretty sure it's a coverall for lying to police, falsifying evidence, etc for serious offences

Chipmunk

Coach
I don't think it needs to be before the courts. Pretty sure it's a coverall for lying to police, falsifying evidence, etc for serious offences

Yeah that's sounds about right. But you've got to ask, what has he supposed to have lied to police about? What evidence would he have falsified? Or what other actions did he do for the police to have a prima facie case that he perverted the course of justice relating to the salary xap?

Gronk

Staff member
Former Parramatta football manager Jason Irvine has become the first person charged following Strike Force Rhodium’s investigation into the salary cap scandal at the Eels and more scalps are expected to follow as the police close in on those responsible for the biggest drama in the club’s history.

NSW police released a statement yesterday morning which confirmed a 42-year-old man had been arrested at his Leichhardt home and charged with knowingly dealing with the proceeds of crime, dishonestly obtaining property by deception and acting with intent to pervert the course of justice. The statement also said police would allege Irvine was responsible for a false statutory declaration regarding a traffic infringement.

The arrest signals the tipping point in a police investigation which began last year following the scandal, which rocked the club and led to the NRL docking the Eels premiership points and fining them $1 million.

It is understood more former Eels officials are in the sights of NSW Police, along with player agents who played a central role in the scandal. The NRL is also in the throes of sanctioning player managers, with several expected to be given lengthy suspensions for their participation in schemes to circumvent the game’s salary cap.

“The allegations under investigation relate to finance being fraudulently derived by the NRL club through false or inflated invoices to suppliers paid by the leagues club,” the police statement said. “At the time of the alleged offences, the man was employed as a football manager. He was taken to Newtown Police Station where he was charged with knowingly deal with proceeds of crime, dishonestly obtain property by deception, and do act with intent to pervert the course of justice.

“As part of their inquiries, police will allege the man is also responsible for a false statutory declaration regarding a traffic infringement. As Strike Force Rhodium continues, detectives intend to speak to several other people as part of their investigation.”

Irvine was among a host of current and former Parramatta officials interviewed by the NRL as part of their investigation into the scandal, which ultimately cost the Eels a place in the finals and led to the club undergoing sweeping changes off the field.

In his record of interview with the NRL, obtained by The Australian, Irvine detailed how the club had become desperate to appease players and managers who had been promised money. “The players are like animals,” Irvine said during his interview. “They feed wherever they can.”

Irvine, who was interviewed by NRL head of integrity Nick Weeks, investigator Karyn Murphy and salary cap auditor Jamie L’Oste Brown in April, confirmed the club began looking to suppliers to help them out of a situation which was spiralling out of control.

He claimed former chief executive Scott Seward proposed inflating bills 10 per cent, which they would later repay.

“If there was something to be picked up, I’d do it and give it to him and he’d fix it up,” Irvine said. “He’d just pay whoever was hammering him the most. I was just caught in the middle. I’d see these things come through and go, ‘oh shit’.”

He detailed how he went to NSW’s central coast on three occasions to pick up money from a sponsor. “I reckon it was like a maximum of ... $20,000,” he said. “Like it might have been $30,000.”

Irvine also revealed the club used money from the sales of merchandise while on their travels to help pay players, including on their annual trip to Darwin. The Eels are due to fly to Darwin tomorrow for a pre-season camp where they will conduct clinics in the local community.

“You know, cash is king,” he said. “So that’s why ... we’d always take a lot of merchandise ... to like the Darwins, to the country games or wherever we could.”

Irvine, who left the club before the scandal hit the news, admitted one sponsor put money into his personal account, which he said he later passed on to Seward. However, he denied he was ever privy to any inflated invoices.

“If there were a couple of shonky ones I was never privy to that,” he said. “Just like in my mind things just didn’t add up. Even though we were running around like crazy, there were still things that weren’t getting paid.”

News of Irvine’s arrest comes at the worst possible time for the Eels, who have gone a long way to restoring their reputation under chairman Max Donnelly and chief executive Bernie Gurr.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/f0e74e617ed676c4e6f223107f3eede2

Gronk

Staff member
Former Parramatta Eels official Jason Irvine charged with fraud offences
Posted yesterday at 5:56pm

Former Parramatta Eels manager Jason Irvine has been charged with fraud offences, over the use of alleged false invoices.

Irvine, 42, was arrested at a Leichhardt home on Monday.

It comes after a police investigation into fraud and money laundering, which was allegedly done to honour under the table deals for cash payments to players

It is alleged false or inflated invoices were used to raise the funds.

Irvine was employed as a football manager at the time.

He has been charged with a number of offences, including knowingly dealing with proceeds of crime and acting with intend to pervert the course of justice.

He has been granted strict condition bail and is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court tomorrow.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...-official-charged-with-fraud-offences/8245456

Yeah that's sounds about right. But you've got to ask, what has he supposed to have lied to police about? What evidence would he have falsified? Or what other actions did he do for the police to have a prima facie case that he perverted the course of justice relating to the salary xap?

He only needs to have knowingly made a false statement to the cops when interviewed. He could simply have concealed the existence of evidence, stated that document X was the original and only agreement with company Y (when it wasn't), stating that the $X of cash withdrawn was used for purpose Z (when it wasn't), or otherwise obstructed knowingly obstructed the police in their attempt to investigate and prosecute a case.

Gronk

Staff member
It is understood more former Eels officials are in the sights of NSW Police, along with player agents who played a central role in the scandal. The NRL is also in the throes of sanctioning player managers, with several expected to be given lengthy suspensions for their participation in schemes to circumvent the game’s salary cap.

More heads to role.

Gronk

Staff member
It is alleged false or inflated invoices were used to raise the funds.

IIRC the Dogs raised false invoices under their Oasis scheme and Storm did the same with marqee (fancy tent) game day hire.

Did any charges arise then ? Don't think so. Good to see the NSW police are on the ball this time.

Latest posts