What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

T-Boon

Coach
I may be wrong, but I recall that the only way we gave Seward exemption from his non-disclosure was if we had our club legal representative present.

The last I read about this was an article in the SMH which said that Parra had agreed to waive the non-disclosure if we were allowed two representatives to be there and the NRL so "no we will not agree to that". The basis of where the Nrl was coming from was that we agreed to fully cooperate with the investigation.

But it begs the question why they did not want a Parra representative there and furthermore what was discussed. But it was all such a dodgy process that I would not be surprised if there was no record of interview kept at all.

Delboy

First Grade
Funnily enough I said that there is a significant level of distrust of Greenbrg and the NRL given the leaks to the media and the relationship between the CEO and the whistleblower

T-Boon

Coach
Due process in my understanding doesn't mean you get to view exact word for word transcripts of interviews given in confidence.

You might get given a summary of the evidence that resulted (i.e. the breach notice which the club received) or you might be entitled to view a document made with the understanding it would be viewed (i.e. the reported 70 page sworn statement, which the club was reportedly provided).

Trying to obtain a transcript of interview given in confidence in addition to the details already provided seems highly unusual in terms of my understanding of due process, and likely to be ruled a vexatious request under appeal. I can't think of any equivalent process where a party is entitled to receive transcripts of in confidence interviews with investigators....

Just an opinion - just my 2c toward us not having unrealisitic expectations about the results of "fighting on".

In a criminal matter what you have described above is essentially the opposite of how it works. Any witness would give a statement to the police the main purpose of which is to allow the defendant to know what the evidence is that that person is going to give at a hearing and then at the hearing the witness gives their evidence orally without the statement there to help them. The defendant gets to say "hang on in your statement you made months ago you said this now you say the opposite YOU ARE A LIAR!! why would we trust anything you have sworn to" - these are called prior inconsistent statements and spell doom for a witnesses credibility.
Its the same in civil matters. You get an affidavit sworn by the witness, they tender that at a hearing and say this is absolutely the truth and then they get cross examined about their affidavit.
Its the lack of cross examination here that leaves you concluding well this guys evidence is totally untested (unless you have faith in the investigator - his mate Greenberg), which stinks when you think he is right in the thick of it and is by his own admission a person of dubious character who is willing to cheat the salary cap. Why would you trust that persons evidence.

emjaycee

Coach
Just had confirmation from a mate in the media.
My bad earlier - Seward's statement is only 37 pages (not the 70 I claimed).
Oh and it was given on the 2nd of May.

The NRL requested he meet with them on or around 6th April which was after they interviewed Jason Irvine on the 1st April and before the interviews with everybody else from the club between 11th and 14th April.

It appears that Irvine was brought to the NRL's attention early on and following his statement they deemed it necessary to talk to Seward. For whatever reason Seward's interview transcript was not provided however his statement on 2nd May was.

T-Boon

Coach
Just had confirmation from a mate in the media.
My bad earlier - Seward's statement is only 37 pages (not the 70 I claimed).
Oh and it was given on the 2nd of May.

The NRL requested he meet with them on or around 6th April which was after they interviewed Jason Irvine on the 1st April and before the interviews with everybody else from the club between 11th and 14th April.

It appears that Irvine was brought to the NRL's attention early on and following his statement they deemed it necessary to talk to Seward. For whatever reason Seward's interview transcript was not provided however his statement on 2nd May was.

Have you asked your mate if the Parra obsessed media are interested in getting their hands on the transcript of his interview?

El Diablo

Post Whore
well they've leaked everything else

external

T-Boon

Coach
well they've leaked everything else

external

Yes, Parramatta's solicitors wrote to the NRL after they got the breach notice (which is probably after the media got it) and said we also need to see the transcripts of the interviews with Seward and Ricky Stuart. The NRL refused to give these two documents over saying "You don't need those documents to be able to respond".

Bigfella

Coach
we didn't get jack

Is that your pet name for John?

I'm sure you'll get him eventually.

It will take a lot of rohypnol, three rolls of gaffer tape and all the cable ties stored in the special room you've been building, but I'm sure you'll get him eventually.