What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta NRL club sack Daniel Anderson as coach at emergency board meeting

Do you support the Board's decision to sack Daniel Anderson?

• Yes

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Impartial

Votes: 21 13.8%

• Total voters

Eels Dude

Coach
lol @ the drama queens on this site.

You'd think we were the Melb storm and our team rorted the salary cap. Honestly who cares, we support the team and now our team has a new coach so just cough it up and lets move on.

and Parra pete, if youre not going to support parra who are you planning to support?

I don't just support the team. I support the CLUB as an identity as a whole. And if I feel that board members are doing the wrong thing for our club as a whole than I object, and I believe every other Parramatta supporter has the right to feel the same. We as fans make the club, and my support of the club goes beyond the blokes that roll onto the field every week and I don't think any passionate supporter should just "cough it up" and move on as you're suggesting when so many of us have put far more effort into supporting and caring about the Mighty Eels than the current board members.

sarahk

Juniors
I don't just support the team. I support the CLUB as an identity as a whole. And if I feel that board members are doing the wrong thing for our club as a whole than I object, and I believe every other Parramatta supporter has the right to feel the same. We as fans make the club, and my support of the club goes beyond the blokes that roll onto the field every week and I don't think any passionate supporter should just "cough it up" and move on as you're suggesting when so many of us have put far more effort into supporting and caring about the Mighty Eels than the current board members.

I understand your frustration because trust me we're all going through the same thing. I'm not happy with the way things have been this year either but honestly Eels dude im so over everything. I just want something to change so that we can get back on track to trying to win a premiership. While i don't think Anderson was bad and i dont agree with the sacking, i will stand by the club no matter who they select for a coach. Sorry if i sounded harsh the first time i said it, but most of it was based on reading parra petes 50 negative posts and it just riled me up that someone would change teams over this.

mrpwnd

Bench
Hang in Pete. Look at the Roosters last year. Fittler was a great bloke and ALL the players wanted him to stay but he simply wasnt up to the assignment. With one new player (Carney) and someone who could actually coach Easts found their Mojo.
Tough decisions need to be made at times. The players will never vocally denegrade their coach but the Parra Boys did not perform for Mr Anderson so what was the reason?
Better times just around the corner so long as they can get the board to stfu.
Again I say "hang in Pete". Its like a death and you have to go through all the stages before you finally accept.
Kearneys Polynesian Eels to rule supreme in 2011.
Comparing us to the Roosters is abit of an exaggeration.
Fittler wasn't up to it, so they replaced him with one of the best coaches out there.
I'd rest easier over this unfortunate and relatively unjustified early termination of DAs contract if we were getting a more reliable coach, or a more 'proven' coach, heck, even someone with an ample amount of experience as a first grade head coach.
Based on speculation that we're getting/looking at Kearney, it doesn't seem like we are getting a coach that fits any of the above criteria.

mrpwnd

Bench
I understand your frustration because trust me we're all going through the same thing. I'm not happy with the way things have been this year either but honestly Eels dude im so over everything. I just want something to change so that we can get back on track to trying to win a premiership. While i don't think Anderson was bad and i dont agree with the sacking, i will stand by the club no matter who they select for a coach. Sorry if i sounded harsh the first time i said it, but most of it was based on reading parra petes 50 negative posts and it just riled me up that someone would change teams over this.
I agree with your sentiment, but to be honest, I can't blame parra petes decision to look away from the club.
When I look at this situation, it simply sh*ts me to no end.
Sacking a coach, without considering the sh*t loads of factors that have influenced a sh*t season, poor quality halves, lazy players, unloyal board. I don't believe that any coach should be punted simply because they had 1 bad year, DA was given a 3 year contract to do what he thought was the best for the team, it was safe to assume that he had planned a 3 year initiative, the club has denied him this, they haven't honored the contract. Fans have every right to be shocked/angry/betrayed over recent actions taken by our club.
As far as i'm concerned, we're no better than the blues selectors in that department.
And to top it off DA is getting replaced by some random nuffy who has nought but a world cup to his name, which even then, was aided by the greatest coach ever.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ly-give-anderson-the-boot-20100927-15sme.html

Parramatta finally give Anderson the boot
Adrian Proszenko
September 27, 2010

DANIEL ANDERSON was sacked as Parramatta coach at an emergency board meeting last night.

The matter was due to be resolved at a scheduled meeting of directors tomorrow but speculation prompted the gathering of powerbrokers at Eels headquarters.

They voted to terminate Anderson's contract although he had a year remaining on the deal. Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo last month guaranteed Anderson would see out his tenure, but several directors had described his position as untenable.

Anderson, who is paid a salary of $300,000 a year, guided the Eels to an unlikely grand-final appearance in his first season at the helm. But after starting the year as premiership favourites, the Eels finished a disappointing 12th.

Anderson was on shaky ground even before his side was out of play-off contention. Eels boss Paul Osborne approached Melbourne assistant Stephen Kearney, the Kiwi coach, about taking over.

Former Storm assistant Michael Maguire was also approached earlier this season, although Kearney is almost certain to be formally offered the job in coming days.

"At the conclusion of the Eels' 2010 NRL season, a committee was appointed to review the performance of the team, and the club as a business unit. This comprised of current directors Glenn Duncan and Geoff Gerard and CEO Paul Osborne," Parramatta chairman Roy Spagnolo said in a statement last night.

"After a strategic review into the football operations and team performance, the board determined that the team did not make the progress this year that it should have and, moving forward on that basis, the board felt the club would be best served with a new coach.

"As a board, we have a responsibility to our members to follow due process and have the courage to make tough decisions when necessary. This is one of those very tough decisions but we feel it is the right one, considering the best interests of the club's long-term development.

"The board would like to thank Daniel for his dedicated efforts with the team in the past two seasons. We wish him well in the future."

Anderson is holidaying interstate and his agent, Jim Banaghan, is in New Zealand. Banaghan is expected to next be in Sydney tomorrow.

The news could cause further division in the Eels' ranks.

Senior players, including this year's co-captains Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless, have called for Anderson to be retained to ensure stability. Their public stance prompted Spagnolo to guarantee Anderson's position was safe.

''We had a bit of a meeting with some players probably about six weeks ago and we were given some assurances that he was going to be the coach for next year and beyond,'' Cayless told New Zealand's Radio Sport yesterday. ''Daniel hasn't changed as a coach from what he did last year to this year. It's very disappointing for Daniel - I believe he's a great coach; he's taken a number of sides to grand finals.''

Kearney was diplomatic when asked about the situation yesterday.

''[My] links with the club go back a couple of months now,'' he told Radio Sport. ''As I said then to Paul Osborne … I didn't want to be involved or enter into any discussion with the club until a decision has been made in terms of who the coach is. That position hasn't changed as yet.''

Asked if he felt for Anderson, Kearney replied: ''I certainly sympathise with the situation that Daniel finds himself in.''

Duncan said that Kearney was his preferred choice as replacement, but said that former Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart had some support at board level.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
lol @ the drama queens on this site.

You'd think we were the Melb storm and our team rorted the salary cap. Honestly who cares, we support the team and now our team has a new coach so just cough it up and lets move on.

and Parra pete, if youre not going to support parra who are you planning to support?

You completely break the family up, send off all your kids grannies & grandpas to retirement homes hundreds of miles away, sell off all the children to be spread out all over earth, you break up and remove all other close family friends and relatives and after the family wreckage is complete you now want a strong close knit family to get back on track as winners, a happy family... !!!!!!!! It seems trauma has got the best of you Sarah, you avoid all forms of disturbance by not confronting those who are causing all the terrible disturbance and hope the disturbers will give you a happy and peaceful family life.

images

images

images

newmanj

Juniors
Disappointed in how its been handled, and also disappointed how the team performed this year. Clearly underprepared, and unmotivated.

Bring on 2011.

Coaches, Players, and Boards come and go. The Eels remain. I will follow them till the day i leave this earth regardless of the personalities that represent us.

Disgraceful - the board is a joke and you will be voted out in the next election.

Kearney or Stuart won't do any better with this list, who is severely overrated.

To Daniel Anderson, thank you for taking us to the GF this year. Shame your players didnt show much loyalty to you this year in thier performances.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's pretty obvious the decision was made months ago when Ozzie had talks with Kearney. Spagnolo was lying when he said Ando would see out his tenure. The decision was already made.

True EEL

Bench
I agree this isnt the way to treat a coach but at the end of the day the board and CEO will live by the sword and die by the sword. If this doesnt come off then they will all be sacked from A to Z.

This will not effect my following of parramatta, while im not a ticketed member (im a non-ticketed member) I intented to buy a season ticket next year and still do. Parramatta is more then one player, one coach, one CEO or one board member, i support a team not any one person. While I agree Anderson is a good coach maybe he was doomed from the start and its easier to move on, this could be the right move or it may very well not be.

i agree with these sentiments......and i also support a team

IFR33K

Coach
Why wouldn't they get someone independent to review the season, just like north Queensland did in getting phil Gould to reveiw their season.

It seams DA was doomed when the board reveiwed the season themselves, as their was an agenda against from day one.

Pretty obvious that there are 3 p pledged alliances on these forums, that don't give a hoot about the dignity and integrity of our beloved club.

Can see where parra pete is coming from, and anyone knocking him must have sh*t for brains.

Gronk

Staff member
Happy to move on from here. I said previously that as it panned out it became the worlds worst kept NRL secret and the worlds worst managed coach termination.

A few final things:-

1. I assume that Ando will be required to sign a termination agreement of his employment contract. This will include a confidentiality clause so we won't hear peep from him otherwise he wont get his cash.
2. Unless the Board sues Hadley I will assume that the threat of vilification was true and a stupid amateurish attempt to avoid paying the coach out of the final year of is contract.
3. The board should conduct an internal investigation of who leaked the information to Hadley and Rothfield and if it was anyone other than Ando then they should be terminated immediately.
4. I won't believe anything that Ozzie or Spag says ever again.

Last edited:

ParraAds

Juniors
Happy to move on from here. I said previously that as it panned out it became the worlds worst kept NRL secret and the worlds worst managed coach termination.

A few final things:-

1. I assume that Ando will be required to sign a termination agreement of his employment contract. This will include a confidentiality clause so we won't hear peep from him otherwise he wont get his cash.
2. Unless the Board sues Hadley I will assume that the threat of vilification was true and a stupid amateurish attempt to avoid paying the coach out of the final year of is contract.
3. The board should conduct an internal investigation of who leaked the information to Hadley and Rothfield and if it was anyone other than Ando then they should be terminated immediately.
4. I won't believe anything that Ozzie or Spag says ever again.

Wouldn't be the first time the current bunch of peanuts have tried this during their 'culling' over the last 18 months... trust me.

Gronk

Staff member
Wouldn't be the first time the current bunch of peanuts have tried this during their 'culling' over the last 18 months... trust me.

I assume that you're referring to the two (?) unfair dismissal matters and the 3 terminated staff members that Stagger raised yesterday. Aunty Kate etc. Hmm it seems they have form in this area.

ParraAds

Juniors
I assume that you're referring to the two (?) unfair dismissal matters and the 3 terminated staff members that Stagger raised yesterday. Aunty Kate etc. Hmm it seems they have form in this area.

I'm referring to another matter. The terminations/forced resignations that have happened in the last 18 months stretch very deep into the Eels and PLC offices. Much deeper than the more high profile senior management (John Kolc etc) that we hear about publicly.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Paul Osborne just spoke on Fox Sports has said Anderson was expecting it, they will make a decision in the next few weeks about who will take over and also that Ando had the support of a lot of the players. The main point he emphasized was that we came 12th with what he said was a better roster.
I wonder if they spoke about the new replay screen or the Supporters Bay in the Eastern Terrace in their emergency board meeting last night.
I support the decision now that it has been made and will also support whoever our new coach is. (please don't let it be Ricky Stuart)

ParraAds

Juniors
Osborne on Sky Sports Radio:

"Club needs to make some changes and head in a new direction."

We agree, Paul. Looking forward to election time in April.

Latest posts