What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
This brings back some memories.

Memories for me as well.
I lived half way between Dundas and Telopea stations. The walk to either was about the same. Maybe, Telopea was slightly closer so it was the station I used more often.
As a teenager, I used to walk to one or another to get trains to Eels games to places like Kogarah/Carlton, Redfern, Belmore, Penrith, Petersham (for Tigers games - and then a bus), even Cronulla (forgotten the station name though I think it was Woolaware) or Central for Roosters games at the Sydney Sports Ground. Would always go to the ticket office and buy my ticket from the station guard. One of those little green cardboard like tickets that would get checked sometimes and a hole put in them by a guard to prove they were legit.

I'd often, in the middle of winter, get back to Telopea or Dundas in darkness on the way home from games and just walk home along paths and through bushes. Not a care in the world. Things were so innocent in those days.
For games at Cumberland I'd walk to Kissing Point Rd and get the bus to the end of Victoria Rd and walk to the ground.
Those were the days.

Gronk

Staff member
Memories for me as well.
I lived half way between Dundas and Telopea stations. The walk to either was about the same. Maybe, Telopea was slightly closer so it was the station I used more often.
As a teenager, I used to walk to one or another to get trains to Eels games to places like Kogarah/Carlton, Redfern, Belmore, Penrith, Petersham (for Tigers games - and then a bus), even Cronulla (forgotten the station name though I think it was Woolaware) or Central for Roosters games at the Sydney Sports Ground. Would always go to the ticket office and buy my ticket from the station guard. One of those little green cardboard like tickets that would get checked sometimes and a hole put in them by a guard to prove they were legit.

I'd often, in the middle of winter, get back to Telopea or Dundas in darkness on the way home from games and just walk home along paths and through bushes. Not a care in the world. Things were so innocent in those days.
For games at Cumberland I'd walk to Kissing Point Rd and get the bus to the end of Victoria Rd and walk to the ground.
Those were the days.
I remember the sound of a steam train toooooot along the carlingford line. Do you recall them offering steam train joy rides on random weekends ? I had a mate who lived in Kenny Place and we’d run to his back fence to see the big black steam train chuff past.

strider

Post Whore
Steam trains run down to wollongong every saturday and sunday ... come tooting down the illawarra line .... i feel like a kid and wanna go look every time lol

Suitman

Post Whore
I remember the sound of a steam train toooooot along the carlingford line. Do you recall them offering steam train joy rides on random weekends ? I had a mate who lived in Kenny Place and we’d run to his back fence to see the big black steam train chuff past.

To be honest mate, I don't remember that. I only remember in those days catching the old red rattlers to Clyde to connect to other red rattlers to get me to what ever ground I was heading towards.

Suitman

Post Whore
Some fantastic views of Parra here, including the stadium.
Many more 150 - 200 metre+ towers under construction or about to start soon.
Great view of Australia's largest office block under construction and 2 more Meriton towers (213 mtrs and 189 mtrs) beside the ferry wharf.
Amazing transformation of what used to be a shithole just 5-10 years ago.

Suitman

Post Whore
So, I remember a while ago that there was a poster who no longer posts here due to a ban, was bemoaning the disgraceful loss of City Extra as a food destination in Parramatta. Lol.

The following video explains why the demise. It's just a foodie video thingy focused on Parramatta by some randoms, but might explain why a boring, decades old food outlet lost its mojo.

Once Parramatta completes most of it's major current construction in the next 3-4 years, it will certainly be a decent cultural destination for food, arts, sport and entertainment.

Wow at the Pho Noodle for $14 at Pho Pasteur at 13.15 mins in the video.
And this video hardly even touches on the cultural diversity of food in Parra. So many options for a meal before a game.

What to EAT in Sydney PARRAMATTA | CHEESY Jaffles, Best PHO & Malaysian Nasi Lemak - YouTube

T-Boon

Coach
Some fantastic views of Parra here, including the stadium.
Many more 150 - 200 metre+ towers under construction or about to start soon.
Great view of Australia's largest office block under construction and 2 more Meriton towers (213 mtrs and 189 mtrs) beside the ferry wharf.
Amazing transformation of what used to be a shithole just 5-10 years ago.

You can see there is a lot more room for sky rising. I would like Parra to have the tallest builgin in Australia. That should be the cities goal for 2025.

Suitman

Post Whore
You can see there is a lot more room for sky rising. I would like Parra to have the tallest builgin in Australia. That should be the cities goal for 2025.

It's not going to happen.
CASA has control over building height limits in Australia. Parramatta is limited to about 240 mtrs asl.
The city of Sydney has a 330 asl height limit.
Anything above 200 mtrs in Parramatta is huge anyway.

And, yesterday, this project was finally approved, after years of wheeling and dealing. It's finally going ahead, Tallest apartment building in Parra.

2 O'Connell street - up near Westfield. 66 storys - 217 mtrs.

bed92eab094328628f67a05a085982cb

1c75cf00bfade51a0984bda5a27198c9

ash411

Bench
It's not going to happen.
CASA has control over building height limits in Australia. Parramatta is limited to about 240 mtrs asl.
The city of Sydney has a 330 asl height limit.
Anything above 200 mtrs in Parramatta is huge anyway.

And, yesterday, this project was finally approved, after years of wheeling and dealing. It's finally going ahead, Tallest apartment building in Parra.

2 O'Connell street - up near Westfield. 66 storys - 217 mtrs.

bed92eab094328628f67a05a085982cb

1c75cf00bfade51a0984bda5a27198c9
Oh say it isn't so... Not the historic Parramatta Business Centre.. More of Parra's storied heratige lost to progress.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll admit that a lot of the new development in Parra has been done more tastefully than I imagined a few years back. I think I went through a period in the early 2000s of seeing my fair share of soulless dog ugly new builds in Brisbane and I expected it to be similar.

Well done, Parra. Happy to have been proven wrong.

Gronk

Staff member

Built and ASX-listed Irongate Group have lodged plans under NSW’s unsolicited bid program for a 49-level, $800 million luxury hotel occupying two neighbouring sites – one of them government-owned – on central Sydney’s Phillip Street.

Construction company Built and Irongate, created by bankers from the former Investec Australia business, already own the 14-storey office building at 52 Phillip Street and propose a 5- or 6-star hotel on the site that would cantilever over the existing heritage building and make it part of the hotel.

=======================================

So the top 35 stories will hang over the sandstone 50 Phillip Street to the north. Cool.

Clipboard01.jpg

Latest posts