What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gronk

Staff member
So, the govt is forging ahead with the Powerhouse in Parramatta. The old David Jones carpark is now pretty much demolished.

img20210428172401-jpg.1428600

It's time that we just accepted the fact that some shitty old house that no one gave a shit about for decades or even knew existed, and which has fallen into disrepair, is given its final glory and relocated to a better position and ultimately, rebuilt in better condition. Farewell, Willow Grove. You will be all the better for your reincarnation.

In the meantime, these f**kwits can go eat a dick. They are trying to prevent a billion dollar investment in Parramatta. It's called progress you dicks.

Willow Grove May Day Graffiti - YouTube
Nope. When imagination meets determination, you can immortalise historic buildings and repurpose them for generations. Ironically, the Powerhouse is a “Contemporary museum for arts, science, innovation and design.” You cannot tell me that they couldn’t have built a modern masterpiece which incorporated and respected the historic house with a relatively small footprint.

upload_2021-5-4_6-50-56.jpeg

upload_2021-5-4_6-53-3.jpeg

upload_2021-5-4_6-53-26.jpeg

upload_2021-5-4_6-55-10.png

And Willow Grove with the David Jones carpark in the background.

upload_2021-5-4_6-57-35.jpeg

Suitman

Post Whore
Nope. When imagination meets determination, you can immortalise historic buildings and repurpose them for generations. Ironically, the Powerhouse is a “Contemporary museum for arts, science, innovation and design.” You cannot tell me that they couldn’t have built a modern masterpiece which incorporated and respected the historic house with a relatively small footprint.

View attachment 48127

View attachment 48128

View attachment 48129

View attachment 48130

And Willow Grove with the David Jones carpark in the background.

View attachment 48131

Look mate, I agree, to an extent. The govt underestimated the backlash re this building (by a small minority of people mind you). (Remember the "Friends of Parramatta Pool" fighting against Bankwest?)

The new Powerhouse could have easily been designed to be built over Willow Grove and incorporated it into the design. Your other examples of similar are proof of that but some of those examples are quite grotesque tbh.
What's done, is done. It would probably cost the govt (and taxpayers) far more now to retrieve that, so let's just get on with it. This is a seriously decent science and arts investment in Parramatta and it shouldn't now be kyboshed due to some run down old house, that will probably get a bigger and better reincarnation anyway in its new location.

I fully appreciate what Jack Mondey and the unions did in the 70's to save The Rocks. That was a no brainer. Willow Grove is no "The Rocks".

Gronk

Staff member
Look mate, I agree, to an extent. The govt underestimated the backlash re this building (by a small minority of people mind you). (Remember the "Friends of Parramatta Pool" fighting against Bankwest?)

The new Powerhouse could have easily been designed to be built over Willow Grove and incorporated it into the design. Your other examples of similar are proof of that but some of those examples are quite grotesque tbh.
What's done, is done. It would probably cost the govt (and taxpayers) far more now to retrieve that, so let's just get on with it. This is a seriously decent science and arts investment in Parramatta and it shouldn't now be kyboshed due to some run down old house, that will probably get a bigger and better reincarnation anyway in its new location.

I fully appreciate what Jack Mondey and the unions did in the 70's to save The Rocks. That was a no brainer. Willow Grove is no "The Rocks".
Architecture is very subjective. The Sydney Opera House is actually weird as f**k, however is now deemed iconic. The Shard and Gherkin in London are dumb and out of place, yet Londoners are proud of them.

The Louvre’s modern renovation is controversial, yet brave IMHO. Now accepted and admired.

upload_2021-5-9_8-28-33.jpeg

I just think that the Powerhouse Museum, which is supposed to celebrate design, could have been a tad more intuitive and self reflective when considering submissions. Instead because the museum became a political football, they rush it through seemingly to exhaust outrage. They did the same with the SFS I reckon with it’s demolition.

Suitman

Post Whore

I should elaborate. I was at work at the time of my previous reply.

There WAS talk at one stage of building a 60000 seater beside Kippax Lake, and ultimately seeing the demise of Stadium Oz, but that was quickly kyboshed by the friends of Centennial Park as taking over their lands.
I think from memory, it was that douchebag Stuart Ayres who was keen on that proposal for his mates on the now defunct SCG Trust. That plan didn't last more than 5 minutes.
The current stadium being built was always going to be around the same capacity as the last one. It's just going to be 1000 times better.

Gronk

Staff member
The new roof on the main court has given Netball a new home and Sydney a new 10k indoor venue. Nice. Onya Gladys.

Ken Rosewall Arena circa 1999 gets a facelift. :thumbsup:

ken-rosewall-arena-aerial.jpg

Ken-Rosewall-Arena-roof.jpg

Ken-rosewall-arena-netball02.jpg

Suitman

Post Whore
‘Eat Street’ Light Rail on Track
17 May 2021
‘Eat Street’ Light Rail on Track | Parramatta (nsw.gov.au)
Work on Parramatta’s ‘Eat Street’ has hit a major milestone, with 50 per cent of the light rail tracks installed along the dining strip and is on schedule to be completed during the middle of this year.
The Parramatta Light Rail team has been working hard to get the tracks laid along Church Street, between Market and George Streets, as quickly as possible, while minimising the impact to the local community.
The team has worked more than three million hours on the project so far, with about one million hours spent on ‘Eat Street’ to get to this significant milestone.
Crews took advantage of the quieter roads during the April school holidays to accelerate track installation, avoiding up to 26 consecutive weekends of night works. They have also used innovative technology during construction to identify and move 300 utilities, including a micro-tunnelling machine to build drainage and stormwater capacity while reducing noise, dust and vibration impacts above the ground.
The Parramatta Light Rail will connect Westmead to Carlingford via the Parramatta CBD and Camellia, and is expected to commence services in 2023.

Photos and some videos: Dropbox – Parramatta's Eat Street light rail on track – Simplify your life

Also, this bridge is being lifted into place this weekend over James Ruse Dr for the light rail.

JRD2-1168x656.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
beat the NRL ?

gee he's really trying to beat up a story out of this, didn't know it was a competition to see who could play first

Gronk

Staff member
beat the NRL ?

gee he's really trying to beat up a story out of this, didn't know it was a competition to see who could play first
Yeah pretty sure that SFC would be the anchor tenant at the SFS anyway.

Gronk

Staff member
Over the Roosters? Controversial opinion.
Crowd numbers suggest they're both around 15k mark. With the Roosters supporters more fickle than SFC.

I guess you might be right if you bring game day advertising, broadcasting and public interest into the conversation.

Latest posts