What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Use to walk those very same streets back in the late 50’s and 60’ when I was a kid . Parramatta was the place that mum would take us 6 kiddies if there were clothes to be bought and bills to be paid .

The tallest building back then was the White Horse hotel ( which my old man promised to take me to when I had whiskers growing on my face , but not at 8 )

Recall standing outside Murray Brothers on the cnr. of Macquarie and Church streets when somebody told me that President Kennedy had just been assassinated .

Of course me and my mates would often go to Cumberland Oval to watch the likes of Ronnie Lynch , the Thornett brothers and big bad Bob O’Reily go round the park .

But thank goodness I was turned away from the dark side and followed the mighty Dragons from the mid 60’ to now. Oh how I wish those days were back . ☺️

Great post and thanks for sharing.
I have so many memories of my days back then that I could fill up 2 pages of this thread.
I might just do it one day!!

Gareth67

First Grade
Great post and thanks for sharing.
I have so many memories of my days back then that I could fill up 2 pages of this thread.
I might just do it one day!!

Thoroughly enjoyed living there in those years , Parramatta , Dundas Valley were a wonderful place to live.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
When it comes to copying and pasting some pics on this site, this site sucks balls big time.
f**king useless.
It chokes when a pic is more than 1mb. So you need to post a linked pic or reduce the file size of the pic. Hassle but I’m guessing that it’s a server limit thing.

Suitman

Post Whore
It chokes when a pic is more than 1mb. So you need to post a linked pic or reduce the file size of the pic. Hassle but I’m guessing that it’s a server limit thing.

Thanks for the reply.
I have reduced file sizes of pics to .25 MP size (smallest size available with my photo editor) and it still comes up as "image can't be downloaded as the file size is too large".

As you can guess, I'm not too tech savvy but try my hardest.

Gronk

Staff member
Thanks for the reply.
I have reduced file sizes of pics to .25 MP size (smallest size available with my photo editor) and it still comes up as "image can't be downloaded as the file size is too large".

As you can guess, I'm not too tech savvy but try my hardest.
If you are tying to post an image from another site, try right clicking on the image “open image in new tab”. Then copy the address of the image in the address bar. You can then pop the address of the image into this site via the link.

9AD6AC20-BDD8-49D3-881A-814A47C07618.jpeg

Suitman

Post Whore
If you are tying to post an image from another site, try right clicking on the image “open image in new tab”. Then copy the address of the image in the address bar. You can then pop the address of the image into this site via the link.

View attachment 55376

Yeh, cheers.
I've done that a few times when I haven't been able to post the pics.
Mostly, the pics are my own.
I post them to other sites as full quality images - sometimes as large as 12 MP as I want the quality of the pic reproduced - then I post the reduced pic on here at the minimum size and it sometimes still get's rejected.
I've even reposted the reduced pic on the other sites that reduce them in size automatically and then copy and paste them here.
Sometimes they will work, sometimes they won't. That's the frustrating part.
Anyway, I will keep trying to work within LU's ridiculously low pic size limits.
Oh well, I'

TheRam

Coach
I don't like it. Blue is old hat

And yet still classic.

Pink and canary yellow bathrooms were all the rage in the 70's. When selecting fixtures that are going to be around for 50 years or more, I feel classic is the best option.

TheRam

Coach
On the Adelaide indoor city stadium that the SA Gov decided to not make football compliant.

I wish I could shake Peter V'Landys and wake him up.

I can't believe he is so absent on this subject or does he even know? It should be his job to know of course and if he doesn't he is totally asleep at the wheel.

I wrote to the SEN 1170's Matt White and asked him to discuss this topic and make some noise about it, but all he responded with was that "it was interesting", but nothing was ever mentioned from there. Don't people think that this is a massive opportunity for our sport and to just sit by the sidelines and ignore it while we miss out again is unbelievable to me.

I mean these talking heads are primarily living off the game and yet very rarely push agendas that help strengthen the game. Instead they talk endlessly on salacious gossip and sensational negative stories. Today for example Matt White is making the NS Bears his main focus and discussion point. What?! Really? The Bears again? My Lord who cares anymore about the Bears seriously? Are we seriously going to add another team into the Sydney/NSW market?
Only a moron would take that discussion seriously and a couple thousand diehard old supporters that are still alive ffs.

Why can't our Rugby League media discuss and debate topics on our sport that would actually make our sport grow and thrive? Make these discussions regular and loud. Just stay on it, especially a topic that is time sensitive like the Adelaide Stadium. V'Landys should be made to look and feel embarrassed that he isn't doing anything to reverse the SA Gov's short sighted decision.

V'Landys needs to jump on this now before it is to late. He should band together with Rugby's and Soccer's leaders and as a united front lobby privately, publicly and loudly to get a positive result for all our rectangular sports. Instead we have absolute silence from all quarters. Barely anyone knows about it either media wise or the public. Who knows if the ARLC know about it, because we didn't hear a peep from them when the decision was made to remove the football option back in March?

It is crickets everywhere. I can guarantee that if this was an opportunity for the AFL to benefit from in the non traditional AFL States, they would be moving Heaven and earth privately and publicly to reverse the decision and make every effort to make it AFL compliant. Why do we almost always ignore opportunities that can really make a major positive change to our sport and this is a massive one in regards to expansion?

V'Landys wake the f**k up!!!

Delboy

First Grade
It goes back further than PVL. Here in Kellyville the NRL under Gallop was given the opportunity to join with Cricket NSW to develop a joint academy style field and buildings. In their usual short sighted vision in the the biggest growth area in suburban Sydney, he declined and said something like - well we have some facilities at St Mary’s so why duplicate.

What happened, AFL jumped in as co tenant , expanded it to fit AFL and put enough money in for lights etc.

They still don’t have sufficient teams to fill age groups in AFL and the car park is rarely full on game days, but they took the opportunty to invest while the NRL sat on their hands. in effect an AFL ground in an area where they are prepared to wait.

At least Parramatta are investing in the area, but another instance of short sighted vision from the ivory tower situated in the eastern suburbs, which by no stretch of imagination is league heartland.

Gronk

Staff member
On the Adelaide indoor city stadium that the SA Gov decided to not make football compliant.

I can't believe he is so absent on this subject or does he even know? It should be his job to know of course and if he doesn't he is totally asleep at the wheel.

I wrote to the SEN 1170's Matt White and asked him to discuss this topic and make some noise about it, but all he responded with was that "it was interesting", but nothing was ever mentioned from there. Don't people think that this is a massive opportunity for our sport and to just sit by the sidelines and ignore it while we miss out again is unbelievable to me.

I mean these talking heads are primarily living off the game and yet very rarely push agendas that help strengthen the game. Instead they talk endlessly on salacious gossip and sensational negative stories. Today for example Matt White is making the NS Bears his main focus and discussion point. What?! Really? The Bears again? My Lord who cares anymore about the Bears seriously? Are we seriously going to add another team into the Sydney/NSW market?
Only a moron would take that discussion seriously and a couple thousand diehard old supporters that are still alive ffs.

Why can't our Rugby League media discuss and debate topics on our sport that would actually make our sport grow and thrive? Make these discussions regular and loud. Just stay on it, especially a topic that is time sensitive like the Adelaide Stadium. V'Landys should be made to look and feel embarrassed that he isn't doing anything to reverse the SA Gov's short sighted decision.

V'Landys needs to jump on this now before it is to late. He should band together with Rugby's and Soccer's leaders and as a united front lobby privately, publicly and loudly to get a positive result for all our rectangular sports. Instead we have absolute silence from all quarters. Barely anyone knows about it either media wise or the public. Who knows if the ARLC know about it, because we didn't hear a peep from them when the decision was made to remove the football option back in March?

It is crickets everywhere. I can guarantee that if this was an opportunity for the AFL to benefit from in the non traditional AFL States, they would be moving Heaven and earth privately and publicly to reverse the decision and make every effort to make it AFL compliant. Why do we almost always ignore opportunities that can really make a major positive change to our sport and this is a massive one in regards to expansion?

Huge size difference between netball or basketball and a soccer pitch.

1635469707489.png1635469809674.png

It looks like they are working with a limited footprint too.

1635469881168.png

The stadium will have a capacity of 15,000 spectators, and house concerts, conventions and other events, as well as basketball and netball games.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

Why would they make any noise when a team in SA is so far down the list it can't even be seen. There's no point. The Bears have more chance and they have zero.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
From this shit hole.......

View attachment 55318

To this.........

Parramatta is truly coming along nicely.

I've gotta say though that the Parramatta in the B + W photo was the Parra I grew up with and fell in love with.
Then, it just fell to shit and nothing happened for decades.
This current rejuvenation is quite stunning and is reinventing the city.

Check this out.....

And this, which is almost complete as well - a great new riverside destination with more food and shopping options....

These two are also continuing to rise and both of these towers will be taller than the Meriton tower in the background.

Parramatta is killing it!!
Yeah I think calling that first photo a shit hole is very harsh. It was a photo of area of its time and it would’ve been nicer than many Sydney City suburbs at the time.

The pic you need is one of late 90s Parramatta through to almost now. Now that was a shithole that can still be seen in some parts today

TheRam

Coach
Huge size difference between netball or basketball and a soccer pitch.

View attachment 55495View attachment 55496

It looks like they are working with a limited footprint too.

View attachment 55497

The stadium will have a capacity of 15,000 spectators, and house concerts, conventions and other events, as well as basketball and netball games.

Yeah I know mate, but a football compliant Stadium is very much doable. Did you see the first option? I've already put up the link many times. It was originally slated to be rectangular football compliant, but then downsized due to cost, but I feel it might be more then just coast. There would be many AFL sycophants within the SA Gov that would not want to see this type of leg up for RL in their State. But regardless, all the rectangular football codes should be blowing up delux in a combined effort to reverse this decision with V'Landys leading the way. I think Soccer made a slight public protest but that was about it.

We should be committing a team to be our 18th franchise if it were to be built with football in mind. It is a great incentive for both the NRL and SA Gov to commit respectively. Also it would put other cities on notice with what it would take to get a team. Be proactive and strong. I mean just be like the AFL for once and show some real leadership ffs.

TheRam

Coach
Why would they make any noise when a team in SA is so far down the list it can't even be seen. There's no point. The Bears have more chance and they have zero.

Make a commitment as the 18th franchise if that is what it would take. We will need to expand into these other States and this type of stadium and in particular location will be lost forever. It is like building a stadium in Darling Harbour. We could have done it 30 years ago but it is a lost opportunity now that will never return. Or the over Central Station option. Gone now forever.

Either of those 2 options would of guaranteed a minimum average crowd of over 30k a game. I doubt that the SFS will average that once the hype dissipates. We need to stop losing the best opportunities for success like we almost always do.