What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So it's been hooked because of what they may, or may not find ?

If they were to uncover any artifacts they could at least preserve them and display them on site.

Doesn't make sense to me.
In my experience with project approvals, heritage regulators are some of the most difficult people to deal with. No common sense.

I remember a guy almost crying once when I presented a development proposal. He couldn’t comment on how to help preserve the heritage values, all he could say in his whiny little voice was “but it’s heritage…it’s really important!!!”.

Yeah, we know that dickhead.

Suitman

Post Whore
In my experience with project approvals, heritage regulators are some of the most difficult people to deal with. No common sense.

I remember a guy almost crying once when I presented a development proposal. He couldn’t comment on how to help preserve the heritage values, all he could say in his whiny little voice was “but it’s heritage…it’s really important!!!”.

Yeah, we know that dickhead.

It's crazy.
The worst thing is that it has taken 12 months for Parramatta council to come to this decision, after originally approving the stage 1 application.

This is a Sydney wide problem. The approval processes in NSW are a joke.

For example, the redevelopment of Barangaroo Central was announced in 2007. 12 months ago, the govt announced that a decision was imminent. Yet, still nothing.
Then, 2 months ago, they said the same thing. Again, still nothing has been announced. A few basic renders have been released, yet, there has been no announcement. That's 15 f**king years ffs!!!
The first pic below is what has been promised.
The 2nd pic is what it looked like last week. Construction hasn't started. What you see is work for the Barangaroo metro station.

It is no wonder developers walk away and decide not to proceed.

1654339113705.png

1654339376830.png

TheRam

Coach
The Tigers CoE is looking pretty impressive atm.

Also how good is it that it is right next to the Burwood North Metro that is being built. Makes for very easy access for fans or anyone to come along and watch their team train and stuff.

It would have been good if Parra's COE had a similar setup especially being so far out North West of the city. Great for the locals, but not so great for the rest of us. It is basically cut off and miles away from any train line. Really bad from that point of view and unless I'm mistaken, I can't see it changing for decades. Real pity. Lets hope it has everything else going for it like they tell us it does.

8 Memorial Avenue, Kellyville. Fastest growing region apparently, but has no significant transport infrastructure.

Suitman

Post Whore
Latest video from JD.

The Rozelle interchange for West Connex. It's not just the above works you see that is being constructed.
Check out the map shown at the 20 second mark of the video.
All those blue lines on the map are underground tunnels. The largest underground road interchange in the world when completed. Also, there are stub tunnels there for the future Western Harbour tunnel which will begin when this is completed later this year/early next year.
Also, The Bays metro dive site can also be seen under construction (for the City - Westmead Metro)
This NSW Govt is really building some serious city changing infrastructure. That is, as well as what they have already built which is also extraordinary

Anyway, enjoy.

T.S Quint

Coach
Also how good is it that it is right next to the Burwood North Metro that is being built. Makes for very easy access for fans or anyone to come along and watch their team train and stuff.

It would have been good if Parra's COE had a similar setup especially being so far out North West of the city. Great for the locals, but not so great for the rest of us. It is basically cut off and miles away from any train line. Really bad from that point of view and unless I'm mistaken, I can't see it changing for decades. Real pity. Lets hope it has everything else going for it like they tell us it does.

8 Memorial Avenue, Kellyville. Fastest growing region apparently, but has no significant transport infrastructure.

How many people do you think want to go watch the team “train and stuff”?

84 Baby

Referee
It is no wonder developers walk away and decide not to proceed.
Or don’t walk away and end up going bankrupt.

Well a) Imma guess you’ve never been there because it’s not that far away from the metro (definitely not miles), the bus interchange is on the same road but b) you at least stumbled into the fact that the roads around there are DECADES behind on upgrades

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
June update from the big JD.

Some points.

- The new Parra pool is coming along nicely.
- The new Parra metro site is huge. There are 5 office towers going on top of this once the underground station is built. Disappointing that it is so far from Parramatta Cityrail station. Not sure if there will be underground links but I hope so. It does however, have a good link with the Light Rail.
- The twin towers at 180 George are really reshaping the skyline.
- 8 Phillip st is going to be a fantastic addition to the CBD.
- Some nice views of Commbank.

Anyway.......

Suitman

Post Whore
A couple of cool videos on the progression of the extension of the Sydney Metro from Chatswood to Sydenham and Bankstown.
Opening 2024.
The Victoria Cross station precinct in Nth Sydney looks very nice.
Pitt st north and south will also open up that part of the city, with underground pedestrian access to Martin Place and the new Hunter street station of the City - Parramatta/Westmead Metro, which will link underground to Wynyard station.
Some amazing stuff being built by our current govt.

Gronk

Staff member
So what's the difference between a new Sydney Metro and just building new train lines? Is it actually different types of trains?
Sydney Metro are single deck driverless trains so the station platforms need to be adapted etc.

1658714678743.png

Suitman

Post Whore
So what's the difference between a new Sydney Metro and just building new train lines? Is it actually different types of trains?

There are massive differences.

- Sydney's double deck fleet are slow and cumbersome. Their dwell time at stations is slow because they only have two doors per carriage. The stairs between the two levels creates congestion loading and unloading in peak times

- Sydney trains have drivers and guards, both front an back. This is useless.

- As @Gronk suggested, Metro is a completely different system.
It is fast (100 km/h) between stations. It has three doors per carriage, it is single level so dwell times at stations are short. It covers distances between stations far more quickly. And because it is automated with no operating staff, it is immune to industrial action and strikes. It is in and out of stations very quickly. If you miss one train, another will be there in quick time.
The more metro's Sydney can build, the better.

There are so many more advantages. And it is all available on the same Opal card of the rest of the system.
Sydney actually has an amazing transport system including buses, ferries and trams, and the Apps available make it so easy to use.

Here's a screen shot of current transport.
It's a live app and updates every 15 seconds.
If ya zoom in on the app, there's even more than this.

1658746846530.png

1658747081004.png

Chipmunk

Coach
There are massive differences.

- Sydney's double deck fleet are slow and cumbersome. Their dwell time at stations is slow because they only have two doors per carriage. The stairs between the two levels creates congestion loading and unloading in peak times

- Sydney trains have drivers and guards, both front an back. This is useless.

- As @Gronk suggested, Metro is a completely different system.
It is fast (100 km/h) between stations. It has three doors per carriage, it is single level so dwell times at stations are short. It covers distances between stations far more quickly. And because it is automated with no operating staff, it is immune to industrial action and strikes. It is in and out of stations very quickly. If you miss one train, another will be there in quick time.
The more metro's Sydney can build, the better.

There are so many more advantages. And it is all available on the same Opal card of the rest of the system.
Sydney actually has an amazing transport system including buses, ferries and trams, and the Apps available make it so easy to use.

Here's a screen shot of current transport.
It's a live app and updates every 15 seconds.
If ya zoom in on the app, there's even more than this.

View attachment 64148

View attachment 64149
Are they going to convert the current train system trains eventually to the newer types to?

Latest posts