What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stats Thread

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Drivel like this calls for a pooper scooper...

Encouragement Dog Poop GIF
Thats a lot of straining. I think the dog need needs to lay off the ibuprofen.

T.S Quint

Coach
I was actually more shocked considering our shit finals record under BA and not winning a comp for 37 years we have a current winning streak in finals with 80% of teams in the comp

Yep, we've just been unlucky to come up against a couple of the strongest teams of all time (Penrith and Melbourne) and Souths (who made 4 straight prelims I think and we have a shocking record against). We have been underdogs in every one of those games. , and so no one was surprised that we lost. Shame we couldn't pull off an upset, but that's not an easy thing to do.

Although we did pull off an upset last year in Townsville. That was pretty good.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It shows how dominant the Storm and Panthers are and highlights that there is a second tier that includes Rabbits, Roosters and Eels.

If you then look at which of those second tier teams are competitive with the Storm and Panthers it becomes frustrating as an Eels fan given how good we have been against both teams.

We have been very solid over the last few years but could have easily done more. Blame BA, blame the players but at least we aren't the Titans, Dragons, Tigers or Dogs.

The other thing it shows is that the salary cap is bullshit and hasn't done anything to level the competition.

King-Gutho94

Coach
It shows how dominant the Storm and Panthers are and highlights that there is a second tier that includes Rabbits, Roosters and Eels.

If you then look at which of those second tier teams are competitive with the Storm and Panthers it becomes frustrating as an Eels fan given how good we have been against both teams.

We have been very solid over the last few years but could have easily done more. Blame BA, blame the players but at least we aren't the Titans, Dragons, Tigers or Dogs.

The other thing it shows is that the salary cap is bullshit and hasn't done anything to level the competition.
You could say the salary cap was doing its job between 2000-2010.

There was a yo-yo of every team being up and down. Brisbane made the finals every season but were never an unstoppable force post 2000.

But ever since they allowed the TPAs to creep in around 2011-2012 its become a joke. Look at the Roosters and how they have flexed there power with Uncle Nick and he has figured out a system to utilise the salary cap to his advantage.

T.S Quint

Coach
Yeah, the salary cap really isn't doing a good job of evening up the comp.
The best teams stay the best. The worst teams may occasionally get better (like we did) but it takes years, close to a decade to get there. Sharks made their way back up and were lucky to win a comp. We have made it back up, but haven't had that same luck. Newcastle has only just made the Finals again after years down the bottom.

The Dogs, Tigers and Dragons have been down the bottom for a while now. How long will it take them? From the way things have been going, if they do make it back up the ladder it will be at the expense of a mid-tier team like us, Souths or Canberra. The top teams will stay the top teams.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yep, we've just been unlucky to come up against a couple of the strongest teams of all time (Penrith and Melbourne) and Souths (who made 4 straight prelims I think and we have a shocking record against). We have been underdogs in every one of those games. , and so no one was surprised that we lost. Shame we couldn't pull off an upset, but that's not an easy thing to do.

Although we did pull off an upset last year in Townsville. That was pretty good.
Yeah getting Melbourne every finals series we played in between 2006-2020 didn't help.

Just unlucky I suppose the side of the draw we ended up with.

Outside of the QLD hub in 2021 where the comp was based Souths had played 2 final since 2018 from there last 12 finals outside of Sydney.

For us under BA since 2017 we have had 4 finals from 10 outside of Sydney. Not including the QLD hub in 2021.

Like we have been unlucky we have had to travel every bloody finals series.

If the Sharks hung on last year for 5 more seconds we are playing a prelim at Allianz not Townsville and who knows may have more petrol for the GF

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You could say the salary cap was doing its job between 2000-2010.

There was a yo-yo of every team being up and down. Brisbane made the finals every season but were never an unstoppable force post 2000.

But ever since they allowed the TPAs to creep in around 2011-2012 its become a joke. Look at the Roosters and how they have flexed there power with Uncle Nick and he has figured out a system to utilise the salary cap to his advantage.

Yeah, the salary cap really isn't doing a good job of evening up the comp.
The best teams stay the best. The worst teams may occasionally get better (like we did) but it takes years, close to a decade to get there. Sharks made their way back up and were lucky to win a comp. We have made it back up, but haven't had that same luck. Newcastle has only just made the Finals again after years down the bottom.

The Dogs, Tigers and Dragons have been down the bottom for a while now. How long will it take them? From the way things have been going, if they do make it back up the ladder it will be at the expense of a mid-tier team like us, Souths or Canberra. The top teams will stay the top teams.
Agree with both of you, but at the end of the day I'm happy that it hasn't become a charity. My main issue is the NRL bullshitting about how effective the salary cap has been.

I think great clubs shouldn't be penalised and I like the idea of being able to have an environment where we can compare the best teams across eras.

Having a random club win each year would seem too manufactured, but for a while it appeared to be a legimate goal of the NRL.

Latest posts