What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stats Thread

T.S Quint

Coach
You could say the salary cap was doing its job between 2000-2010.

There was a yo-yo of every team being up and down. Brisbane made the finals every season but were never an unstoppable force post 2000.

But ever since they allowed the TPAs to creep in around 2011-2012 its become a joke. Look at the Roosters and how they have flexed there power with Uncle Nick and he has figured out a system to utilise the salary cap to his advantage.

I just had a look back at the ladder for a bunch of those seasons during the 2000s.
In 2007 we finished the year with 13 wins, one more than we had this season. We finished in 5th place and made the prelim final.

Shows how different seasons can be.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I just had a look back at the ladder for a bunch of those seasons during the 2000s.
In 2007 we finished the year with 13 wins, one more than we had this season. We finished in 5th place and made the prelim final.

Shows how different seasons can be.
I think in 2009 we won 12 games as well but the draw got us in the playoffs over the Tigers.

Came 8th and made a GF.

12 wins and a minimum 50% winning record is normally the benchmark to get in.

The Titans won 10 games lost 14 in 2021 and came 8th ffs and were a Patrick Herbert brainfart away from playing in week 2.

King-Gutho94

Coach
68-22 was still one of my favourite moments as an eels fan.
If we weren't giving away token goal kicking practice to a few blokes in the last 20 we could have scored 80 from memory .

I still rate 58-0 against the broncos higher a few years back as it was in a semi final and basically felt like the main course meal of opening commbank stadium in its first season after the entree of opening day against the Tigers.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If we weren't giving away token goal kicking practice to a few blokes in the last 20 we could have scored 80 from memory .

I still rate 58-0 against the broncos higher a few years back as it was in a semi final and basically felt like the main course meal of opening commbank stadium in its first season after the entree of opening day against the Tigers.
Hard to compare. I jizzed all over myself during both games.

T.S Quint

Coach
Agree with both of you, but at the end of the day I'm happy that it hasn't become a charity. My main issue is the NRL bullshitting about how effective the salary cap has been.

I think great clubs shouldn't be penalised and I like the idea of being able to have an environment where we can compare the best teams across eras.

Having a random club win each year would seem too manufactured, but for a while it appeared to be a legimate goal of the NRL.

Completely agree, the NRL loved to talk up how the salary cap was working because they had like 10 different Premiers in 12 years or something like that. They didn't show that it was the same teams finishing in the top 4 all the time and just had some luck that a random would sneak in and steal the title.

I don't have a problem with the good teams being good because they manage themselves the best. Same for the poor teams being shit because they can't get their act together.
If a team is good because they just manage their cap well, then fantastic. But we all know why the best teams are always so good. It's because of money. The salary cap is there to make it so that money isn't the difference between teams, but that's not how it is.

T.S Quint

Coach

What a great day that was.
From memory, we got behind on the scoreboard for a bit there after leading first up. I got a bit worried when the Broncos got to 22 points.
Then Hayne, Finch and Smith put on a f**king masterclass, piling on the points.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What a great day that was.
From memory, we got behind on the scoreboard for a bit there after leading first up. I got a bit worried when the Broncos got to 22 points.
Then Hayne, Finch and Smith put on a f**king masterclass, piling on the points.
Mateo was out of this world as well.

T.S Quint

Coach
Mateo was out of this world as well.

Ah yes, forgot about him.

I might see if I can find that game online. Would like to watch it again.
I used to have a massive stack of our old games on VHS and would watch them all offseason. I would record every win we had, and did it for years (from about 1999 to around 2008). Wish I still had them...although I have no idea where I would keep them in my house.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It shows how dominant the Storm and Panthers are and highlights that there is a second tier that includes Rabbits, Roosters and Eels.

If you then look at which of those second tier teams are competitive with the Storm and Panthers it becomes frustrating as an Eels fan given how good we have been against both teams.

We have been very solid over the last few years but could have easily done more. Blame BA, blame the players but at least we aren't the Titans, Dragons, Tigers or Dogs.

The other thing it shows is that the salary cap is bullshit and hasn't done anything to level the competition.
That table only shows results since 2020 and I wouldn't expect a level competition over only four years. There should be strong and weak teams over that sort of time frame. Unfortunately, we know that some teams have been strong over much longer than four years while others have been weak over similarly long periods. It's f**ken bullshit.

emjaycee

Coach
Agree with both of you, but at the end of the day I'm happy that it hasn't become a charity. My main issue is the NRL bullshitting about how effective the salary cap has been.

I think great clubs shouldn't be penalised and I like the idea of being able to have an environment where we can compare the best teams across eras.

Having a random club win each year would seem too manufactured, but for a while it appeared to be a legimate goal of the NRL.
Until it was our turn.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That table only shows results since 2020 and I wouldn't expect a level competition over only four years. There should be strong and weak teams over that sort of time frame. Unfortunately, we know that some teams have been strong over much longer than four years while others have been weak over similarly long periods. It's f**ken bullshit.
Thanks Ian Schubert.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You could say the salary cap was doing its job between 2000-2010.

There was a yo-yo of every team being up and down. Brisbane made the finals every season but were never an unstoppable force post 2000.

But ever since they allowed the TPAs to creep in around 2011-2012 its become a joke. Look at the Roosters and how they have flexed there power with Uncle Nick and he has figured out a system to utilise the salary cap to his advantage.
My favourite BS of Buzz was the Roosters are legitimately able to put together strong squads because of TPA’s, when they the published all the TPA’s had sweet FA. Buzz called on it blocked a heap of people and then dribbled some shit about them being a well run club and people are willing to take unders to play for Mumps face.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Conor Mcgregor Mma GIF by UFC

Me at work that next day.