What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's First Premiership Team

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well there you go 1964, first premiership in any grade

Then the first reserve grade title in 1975

Just on 1981, I think they lost in third grade to Souths, and eelavation you mentioned Brian Smith was the coach, and I think Mario Fenech was also in the match.

They lost in reserve grade, to Canterbury I think, so it fired Parramatta up even more. Wouldve been devastating if they lost all 3 grades.

Just on the early 60s, Parra were in the finals 3 years in a row, there was one match when they played St George and got beat in the preliminary final 12-7. Could you imagine if Parramatta beat the Dragons, wouldve ended their winning streak, and played Wests in the Grand Final, with the likes of Rushworth, Dick and Ken Thornett, Hambly, Ron Lynch. I think Ken Kearney was the coach.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PARRA_FAN said:
Just on 1981, I think they lost in third grade to Souths, and eelavation you mentioned Brian Smith was the coach, and I think Mario Fenech was also in the match.

Craig Coleman captained the side..

parra pete

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Well there you go 1964, first premiership in any grade

Then the first reserve grade title in 1975

They lost in reserve grade, to Canterbury I think, so it fired Parramatta up even more. Wouldve been devastating if they lost all 3 grades.

Just on the early 60s, Parra were in the finals 3 years in a row, there was one match when they played St George and got beat in the preliminary final 12-7. Could you imagine if Parramatta beat the Dragons, wouldve ended their winning streak, and played Wests in the Grand Final, with the likes of Rushworth, Dick and Ken Thornett, Hambly, Ron Lynch. I think Ken Kearney was the coach.

They had the wood on Wests in 1963 too. Beat them twice during the season. I was at the final when St George beat them. Had a seat in the M A Noble Stand..at the SCG and I don't remember how I managed that?????

I think, from memory, Gasnier scored both St George tries..and *Kenny Foord (who passed away earlier this year) picked up the Parra try with an intercept.

Wrong it was the other winger *Mick Jackson...and it wasn't from an intercept ..I must be getting old!!!!
Although, I can remember those games like they were played last week..Must be an attempt to hold on to my youth. I loved the football in those days. It certainly invoked passion...Wouldn't swap my life now for any other..
You know the signs that you are getting old...First you forget peoples names then you forget their faces, then you forget to do up your fly,................then you forget to UNDO it. :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
I often wonder with that 81 side.

Given guys like the Crow, Price, Sterlo, Kenny Ella gave us so much pleasure from the first win in 81 through to 86, how would we have fared under the salary cap/monetary demands of today? I often wonder if we would have had that dynasty of if it would have been pulled apart piece by piece.

I tend to think, given the nature of some of the players, the core would have still stuck together....

jono

Juniors

They Lost reserve grade to Canterbury the year before , 18-16 in extra time , in Arthur Beetson's last game in Sydney . In 1981 they lost to Wests in reserves , the side for which Garry Jack was ineligible due to having played too many 1st grade games at the end of that regular season.

Brett Kenny recalled in his biography that he was glad the two lower grades has lost because it seemed too much to ask for all three grades to win and that the 1sts were then fated to win

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Has that ever happened?

I know the St George in 62 side won all 3 grades and came close in 1985, but has a club lost all 3 grades?

jono

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Has that ever happened?

I know the St George in 62 side won all 3 grades and came close in 1985, but has a club lost all 3 grades?

Saints in 1971 lost to Canterbury in reserves and thirds and Souths in 1sts

parra pete

Referee
Did you know that Chris Guider, the St George hooker played in all three grade Grand Finals in 1985. He joined the Church of Scientology the next year and, to my knowledge, never played again....

eelusive

Juniors
emjaycee said:
saw steve sharp in heathcote macca's a few weeks back.
he has changed heaps - like added about 10kgs only to his frame and still has same hair and mo :)

Love him for being first try-scorer at Parra Stadium against the Dragons... was there with my ex-g/f and her family (all st george supporters).

steve sharp was coaching the u15's for cabramatta 2-3 years ago? just trying to jog my memory

Latest posts