What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic Manly Fans

tomdl

Bench
It can't be that hard for you to travel less then an hour to support your team. Several teams in the Nrl have fans whom travel several hours to see their team play. Apparently it's far to much of an ask for you to travel. Not to mention that the few fans that decide to turn up for your game are absolute merkins and thinks it's appropriate to boo a player off who is on a Medi-Cab with a potentially serious neck injury. Stay classy Manly

oval

Juniors
True.

But Manly are gonna beat your team left right n centre.

Get a dog up ya.

ozenzud

Juniors
Agree with Tom. I've always been embarressed by Manly. But to see that crowd last night, that was appalling. I recall, I think Warriors v Canberra at same venue 2003 had about 33,000!

Wilson1

Juniors
Hardly. Common sense has to be used. The game was never going to raw more than 20,000 at SFS so they should have played it at Brookvale. I can accept Dragons vs Wests being played at ANZ but this was just stupid.

Flapper

First Grade
Bullshit. There's more than 13000 Manly and Cowboys fans in a city of 5 million, and the SFS is easier to get to than Brookvale. If the ones that live near Brookvale couldn't be bothered to put the bong down and get off their arses they deserved to be told how pathetic they are. There should be been at the very least 20000 there last night, and thats a low number.

Garts

Bench
It was terrible. However when you consider the Friday game only drew 45k, that's 22.5k each team. One of those sides is a merged entity with 2 sets fans, the other the most followed team in the league or close to it. Last night 99% of the crowd was Manly fans but the 8.30 timeslot kept away families, I did not notice many kids at all. If the game was earlier there would have been 20k.

What's the go with Manly fans booing all the time when there is a player coming off or even when the Cowboys came back on at half time ??....it is fine to not like the opposition but booing each time something occurs is feral IMO.

Pathetic crowd indeed but if it was at Brookvale, it would have been a nightmare to get to etc. The facilities there are just not good enough to cope for a full house. I must say I was surprised at the lack of Cowboys supporters - they used to get a good travelling group.

The 8:30pm timeslot I think can't be overlooked - it was getting a bit too late for families. If you lived on the Northern Beaches, you wouldn't be home earlier that 11:30pm.

Would have been better to have it at 2pm on Sunday and then 1 vs 8 live at 4pm but that would never happen.

Garts

Bench
What's the go with Manly fans booing all the time when there is a player coming off or even when the Cowboys came back on at half time ??....it is fine to not like the opposition but booing each time something occurs is feral IMO.

I don't think they were booing the player, there was a guy getting in trouble from security and the crowd booed that. He was apparently running around with some sign and got in trouble. That's what the wife said anyway. If they were booing the player it was poor form, very poor.

I don't think they were booing the player, there was a guy getting in trouble from security and the crowd booed that. He was apparently running around with some sign and got in trouble. That's what the wife said anyway. If they were booing the player it was poor form, very poor.

Dont know where abouts you were but in bay 34 a guy came running down the stairs with a the It should have been @ brookie sign when Patterson was down so the crowd started singing that, we heard no booing

No probs...

oval

Juniors
So whats your solution to this issue? Kick Manly out for having lazy fans?

Prior to this game there was some controversy relating to staging this game at the SFS against an out of town team with next to zero local support ie. small crowd and guess what - it came true!

Of the 13000 or so who made the trek, 12,900 were Sea Eagle supporters, and looking at historical crowd stats for Manly its safe to say that these comprise the core of supporters. Its not a large number, but thats the way it is and the way it always has been. Manly is not that widely supported outside the Northern Beaches, which itself is not all that big an area compared with the population base of many other clubs. Hence relatively smaller membership, attendance and club income of the Manly Sea Eagles.

So were this game to be held at Brookvale you'd have this core of 13000 attending plus the 6-7 thousand half arsed local fans who think "oh yeah, theres a game at Brooky lets go". Last night these are the people who instead chose to watch the game at the pub or wherever instead of f**king around with trekking to the Eastern Suburbs. The game should have been at Brookvale - having the game at the SFS benefits nobody.

So some of you feel outraged. What did you expect? An army of supporters marching across the city ala St George or the Bulldogs? That just aint reality, and unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past 60 years what happened last night should come as no surprise.

So again I ask - what should be done? Cut the club and abandon the region to Union/AFL? Seriously, do you have any constructive suggestions?

Whatever the case what matters to me and the other "pathetic" sea eagles fans is that we flogged the Cowboys, and we only have one more game to win before we progress to the grand final. So while you choke on your outrage we can enjoy watching the club we support play some good footy.

Garts

Bench
It is still frustrating though Oval. At the 2008 GF there was 60,000+ Manly fans. Guess all fans are happy to travel to a GF.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
The real Sea Eagles fans are bloody lycky the teams the club keep producing are so good, or this team would've gone the way of the Jets.

bobmar28

Bench
13,000? At a final? If we can't fill the SFS for a final then there are too many Sydney teams.