What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic Manly Fans

Slammin

Juniors
We only need two Sydney teams. The overkill with all these Sydney teams are what is going to kill this league which is supposed to be national.

Shorty

Staff member
Don't blame the Cowboys fans Oval, did you expect the Cows fans to come out in droves, that is travel several thousand km as opposed to your p*ssweak distance? F**king idiot, of course there's going to be more Manly fans....because it's a home game.
Manly embarrassed the NRL.

stormbati

Bench
I just dont get why Manly fans boo at everything.
But cmon, theyre not all idiots, I sat amongst thousands in the 08 GF and they were surprisingly good apart from the ones in front of us. One of them, an old man, started crying when the game was almost over and I felt a little better about the loss. Meant so much to him, he'd been waiting a while.

Hooch

Juniors
We only need two Sydney teams. The overkill with all these Sydney teams are what is going to kill this league which is supposed to be national.

They're going to have to knock a few of them on the head in the coming decade and spread to the regions.

Jason Maher

Immortal
It was terrible. However when you consider the Friday game only drew 45k, that's 22.5k each team. One of those sides is a merged entity with 2 sets fans, the other the most followed team in the league or close to it. Last night 99% of the crowd was Manly fans but the 8.30 timeslot kept away families, I did not notice many kids at all. If the game was earlier there would have been 20k.

*both sides are *joint venture

Silent Knight

First Grade
tim__and_tom_0x4q.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
So whats your solution to this issue? Kick Manly out for having lazy fans?

Prior to this game there was some controversy relating to staging this game at the SFS against an out of town team with next to zero local support ie. small crowd and guess what - it came true!

Of the 13000 or so who made the trek, 12,900 were Sea Eagle supporters, and looking at historical crowd stats for Manly its safe to say that these comprise the core of supporters. Its not a large number, but thats the way it is and the way it always has been. Manly is not that widely supported outside the Northern Beaches, which itself is not all that big an area compared with the population base of many other clubs. Hence relatively smaller membership, attendance and club income of the Manly Sea Eagles.

So were this game to be held at Brookvale you'd have this core of 13000 attending plus the 6-7 thousand half arsed local fans who think "oh yeah, theres a game at Brooky lets go". Last night these are the people who instead chose to watch the game at the pub or wherever instead of f**king around with trekking to the Eastern Suburbs. The game should have been at Brookvale - having the game at the SFS benefits nobody.

So some of you feel outraged. What did you expect? An army of supporters marching across the city ala St George or the Bulldogs? That just aint reality, and unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past 60 years what happened last night should come as no surprise.

So again I ask - what should be done? Cut the club and abandon the region to Union/AFL? Seriously, do you have any constructive suggestions?

Whatever the case what matters to me and the other "pathetic" sea eagles fans is that we flogged the Cowboys, and we only have one more game to win before we progress to the grand final. So while you choke on your outrage we can enjoy watching the club we support play some good footy.
This. Well said.

It is still frustrating though Oval. At the 2008 GF there was 60,000+ Manly fans. Guess all fans are happy to travel to a GF.
They were playing Melbourne. Everyone with a brain was a Manly fan that day. Twas the only day in history that you had Eels, Dragons, Wests, Dogs, SOuffs and Easts fans cheering for Manly!

13,000? At a final? If we can't fill the SFS for a final then there are too many Sydney teams.
F*ck. Here we go. Someone let the genius out of the cage under the stairs.

Get back to me about the 50k plus crowd to the Storm game this arvo when it happens dickhead.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
They were playing Melbourne. Everyone with a brain was a Manly fan that day. Twas the only day in history that you had Eels, Dragons, Wests, Dogs, SOuffs and Easts fans cheering for Manly!

I missed that GF but I was at the 2007 GF between the same teams and just about every neutral supporter I saw was backing the Storm.

I'm sure it would be a different story now though, post salary cap scandal.

gronkathon

First Grade
The crowd was a joke. There are reasons but still, pretty pathetic.

More pathetic was the Manly fans sitting on their broad acres when Patterson was being medicabbed off. No customary applause wishing the injured player well. More than a little pathetic for mine.

But Manly played a great second half

typicalfan

Coach
Even the sharks would have got more to the SFS without a doubt if they were presented with the situation.

Surely this must embarrass some Manly supporters, it would embarrass me.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I think our finals system is a little bit of a letdown too. I guess when you know your team is guaranteed of playing again despite a loss you're not too fussed about missing the first final.

squeeze

Juniors
F*ck. Here we go. Someone let the genius out of the cage under the stairs.

Get back to me about the 50k plus crowd to the Storm game this arvo when it happens dickhead.

it won't happen, Carlton is playing essendon across the road and there will be 70k +. how real finals footy crowds should be.

flippikat

Bench
I'm pretty annoyed at this.

There are so many places that desperately want NRL teams, and plenty of fans that would turn out to their games - week-in and week-out, and yet the Manly fans can't haul their butts across town to a PLAYOFF GAME?

If any Sydney team wanted to relocate here to Wellington, I would be there EVERY DAMN WEEK.

...and they wonder why other league regions are tired of the Sydney-centric nature of the competition....?

thorson1987

Coach

f**k me, do you expect people to sit on the roof of AAMI park.

Also with the Carlton v Essendon game down the road will dilute the crowd a bit.