What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patron's Trust

Alex28

Coach
According to the presser this is the way that the board is moving forward with - that their offer is still alive and now superior to Tinkler's offer.

Discuss.

perverse

Referee
without knowing the intimate details of the deal, no-one can really comment either way... although i'm sure they will. it's obviously worth looking at, and i hope to find out more about it over the coming weeks.

Rolla

Juniors
Is anybody able to explain what the patrons trust is? It is new to me, pardon any ignorance on my part.

macavity

Referee
I think I wrote a post on this about 6 months ago when it was being discussed.

someone with better search skills should dig it up.

perverse

Referee
I think I wrote a post on this about 6 months ago when it was being discussed.

someone with better search skills should dig it up.
i'd like to hear it from the horses mouth, no offense dude. things change in that amount of time, they progress etc. i'd want to know the names of those involved, the dollar figures involved and how they came to those numbers. the basic concept sounds alright, but the devil is in the detail, as proven by this Tinkler bid.

I'm wondering who our 'patrons' are.

I'd hazard a guess that NIB (read Mark Fitzgibbon) is one of them, but I doubt he is ponying up the whole $10M himself.

Who else has their hand in their pocket for us?

macavity

Referee
No offence taken.

All I can say is that this has been in the background for quite a while. Tinkler was originally going to be a part of it but after McKay swindled him into buying the Jets he decided to go the path he did with us instead.

The names are not ones that will probably be immediately recognisable, but they are certainly cashed up enough to mean we don't have to live hand to mouth like we traditionally have done.

Hopefully they have now pulled the trigger to announce the formation of the trust, and we are right to start expanding and restructuring.

I would expect some very good sponsorships (new or upgraded) to be announced over the next few months too.

macavity

Referee

I'd hazard a guess that NIB (read Mark Fitzgibbon) is one of them, but I doubt he is ponying up the whole $10M himself.

Nope. Fitzgibbon isn't one.

two of them are current sponsors, and I am not sure of the others. when I last discussed it with them there was one more, but by now there could be one or two on top of that.

cram

Bench
My understanding from the Press Conference is that a meeting will be held next Monday night 28/2/11 and at that time details will be provided.

Jobdog

Live Update Team

Jodi McKay? :sarcasm:

aqua_duck

Coach
I think the big thing is will this model be able to attract the 3rd party deals outside the cap that Tinkler might have been able to attract. At the end of the day its all about whether we can get say Gidley to count as 400k or 250k under the cap for example

Alex28

Coach
I think the big thing is will this model be able to attract the 3rd party deals outside the cap that Tinkler might have been able to attract. At the end of the day its all about whether we can get say Gidley to count as 400k or 250k under the cap for example
It really depends on who is part of it, however I think it is probably time to accept the potential of rorting the cap like Tinkler was proposing has sailed...

COB

Juniors
Quick Question - Will the Public Trust model need 75% approval as per Tinkler Deal?

If so i cant see them obtaining this figure , maybe 60% at best. The propaganda war will begin from all angles but it will only take 1-2 high profile figures ( eg Chief etc ) backing the Tinkler Model and 75% becomes almost impossible.

There is also the fact this model means we divorce ourselves from Tinkler Sports Group who will own every other sporting team in the Hunter - once again something that may be hard or people to vote against by default by voting for the Patrons Trust.

Add to that Tew and Burraston are now charachters that pulverize public opinion and basically they will be now selling this to members.

Not on any anyones side - just cant see this getting over the line and we will be left back to square one.

- COB

perverse

Referee
Quick Question - Will the Public Trust model need 75% approval as per Tinkler Deal?

If so i cant see them obtaining this figure , maybe 60% at best. The propaganda war will begin from all angles but it will only take 1-2 high profile figures ( eg Chief etc ) backing the Tinkler Model and 75% becomes almost impossible.

There is also the fact this model means we divorce ourselves from Tinkler Sports Group who will own every other sporting team in the Hunter - once again something that may be hard or people to vote against by default by voting for the Patrons Trust.

Add to that Tew and Burraston are now charachters that pulverize public opinion and basically they will be now selling this to members.

Not on any anyones side - just cant see this getting over the line and we will be left back to square one.

- COB
excellent observation, and it hadn't even occured to me yet. Tinkler has demonstrated that he has the press in his pocket, more or less, particularly locally.

yes, my understanding is the a Patrons Trust would need the same 75% approval from members... and now that i think about it, it has about 1% chance of getting through whilstever Tinkler still wants the club. if he wants to rape us in the papers, in the public eye, he's going to be able to.

very interesting.

Karmawave

Bench
This is a load of tripe this rubbish about the Patrons Trust.

This was clearly always 2nd option to the Knights - or they wouldn't have been wanting to continue discussions with Tinkler as late as today ( Tinkler pulled out on the Knights - not vice versa ). Tew has been mentioned in a quote himself saying how much better Tinklers offer was in comparison.

*And if the Tinkler offer was so bad like Tew is now trying to play and this Patrons Model is so good - then why were the Knights not the ones to pull out of discussions with Tinkler?

* Why were the Knights still wanting to proceed with a meeting with Tinkler today at 2pm even after last nights press release, that quoted the Tew as remaining ' optimistic ' they would ' reach an agreement ' to present to members after today?

The Knights can play it any way they like post fallout but they come off looking just as bad as anyone else in all of this.

Some members will fall for it though.

Talk about media spin and getting the runner up cheque.

Alex28

Coach
if he wants to rape us in the papers, in the public eye, he's going to be able to.
It should be noted it took the Herald 1 hour 40 minutes to report the 2:30pm presser by Tew and Burro. They were too busy reporting the 7pm members revolt meeting at the Mark Hotel at Lambton instead.

All this from a club sponsor.

COB has a great point. This has no chance of getting 75% of the members vote.

perverse

Referee
it is the runners up cheque, Karma... but that doesn't necessarily make it a poor option either. you can't just discredit it because it's not the first choice.

and to answer both your main questions i think it's plainly obvious - the Knights want the deal that was promised in the media, plain and simple. it was a good deal. there's no need fo them to pull out of discussions, why would they not try and negotiate?

Latest posts