What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

I think Paul Green's double standards have really hurt the club. Players like O'Neil can go missing for 2-3 years and never be dropped. Likewise, we can extend Granville and Cooper when they barely look park football standard at the moment. Yet, if Green sees some rookie come in and make the same mistakes, he throws them under the bus in interviews (cough, Clifford), drops them from the team (cough, Clifford) or lets them move to another club where they end up having a better career anyway.

It's amazing to look around the league and see so many players the Cowboys/ Green let go that would have us in a better position now if they were still Cowboys. Kalyn Ponga, Bradon Smith, Jahrome Hughes, Viliame Kikau, Corey Horsburgh, Enari Tuala etc. Plus James Tamou and Ethan Lowe are two of our premiership players we let go rather than some of the other deadwood we still.
Clifford seems to play better when he doesn't have the old blokes holding him back. He won us that game against the Roosters when Morgan wasn't there to get in his way. Selecting Asiata over Clifford at 5/8 was the dumbest thing Green has done.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Clifford seems to play better when he doesn't have the old blokes holding him back. He won us that game against the Roosters when Morgan wasn't there to get in his way. Selecting Asiata over Clifford at 5/8 was the dumbest thing Green has done.

I recall Clifford almost setting up a try last year, and Paul Green went nuts up in the box because Clifford apparently didn't take the right option.

I recall Clifford almost setting up a try last year, and Paul Green went nuts up in the box because Clifford apparently didn't take the right option.
Green does seem to have it in for Clifford. It's as if Green doesn't want Clifford to be a bigger star than him. Green's playing career at the Cowboys didn't last long.

redVinme

Bench
Sounds exactly like Mary. Except he played jdb at half instead of asiata. He also shows favouritism to senior players and publically shames young players. We are also years behind due to his inability to bother with or develop youth. Funny thing is though. Greeny will still get the sack before mcgregor

Sounds exactly like Mary. Except he played jdb at half instead of asiata. He also shows favouritism to senior players and publically shames young players. We are also years behind due to his inability to bother with or develop youth. Funny thing is though. Greeny will still get the sack before mcgregor
Green wanted to belt Macgregor up a year or two ago after Tariq Simms took Morgan out with a cheap shot.

SBD82

Coach
Glad you said it. Reading through this thread I couldn’t help noticing the similarities.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Glad you said it. Reading through this thread I couldn’t help noticing the similarities.

I think coaches like Green and McGregor think it is the young player's fault if they appear to be not ready for the NRL. Yet, it actually exposes a huge flaw in the coaches ability in that they can only coach ready made NRL players, and do not have a clue about player development. Coaches like this might better suit an origin environment where you just have to motivate some superstars in the room with big egos (cough, Mal Meninga).

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think coaches like Green and McGregor think it is the young player's fault if they appear to be not ready for the NRL. Yet, it actually exposes a huge flaw in the coaches ability in that they can only coach ready made NRL players, and do not have a clue about player development. Coaches like this might better suit an origin environment where you just have to motivate some superstars in the room with big egos (cough, Mal Meninga).

"Coaches" like McBaldy don't suit any environment. How is that bald-headed numpty going to motivate anyone?

BennyV

Referee
Talent identification and development is a huge part of coaching that often gets overlooked for irrelevant and dopey shit like ‘passion’ and ‘being hard nosed’. It’s why guys like Nathan Brown still have hope of one day finding success in coaching (or at least elsewhere in football departments) and it’s a big part of why McGregor (and apparently Green) is such an abysmal failure.

McGregor is quoted as saying ‘he didn’t develop naturally in the position’ when asked about dropping Zac Lomax from fullback after 1 game this season. The head coach moves a young player from a position because he didn’t develop naturally! It’s actual madness that this clown has any supporters left! And judging by this thread, Green is in the same boat!

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Talent identification and development is a huge part of coaching that often gets overlooked for irrelevant and dopey shit like ‘passion’ and ‘being hard nosed’. It’s why guys like Nathan Brown still have hope of one day finding success in coaching (or at least elsewhere in football departments) and it’s a big part of why McGregor (and apparently Green) is such an abysmal failure.

McGregor is quoted as saying ‘he didn’t develop naturally in the position’ when asked about dropping Zac Lomax from fullback after 1 game this season. The head coach moves a young player from a position because he didn’t develop naturally! It’s actual madness that this clown has any supporters left! And judging by this thread, Green is in the same boat!

Very good points. Paul Green also has no idea how to coach attacking footy. For him, it is all about boring robotic structure. It's one thing to be beaten well by an opposition, but it's another to have to sit through some of the most boring football possible by us in addition to losing comfortably.

BennyV

Referee
Very good points. Paul Green also has no idea how to coach attacking footy. For him, it is all about boring robotic structure. It's one thing to be beaten well by an opposition, but it's another to have to sit through some of the most boring football possible by us in addition to losing comfortably.
Lol same deal with McGregor!!! He reckons that if completion can get above 80% then we are sure things! Despite the fact that his plan to achieve that is 5 one-out hit ups and a mid field bomb!!

Seems like these 2 were cut from the same cloth. Did Green spend any time coaching In the Illawarra local comp?!?!

mistertaylor

Juniors
Unfortunately I think Green's (and granville's) time at Townsville is up. Get Walters in ASAP, move Morgan into the centres when he returns from injury, and we should see some improvement.

My best 17 from current squad: holmes, feldt, morgan, marsters, tabuai-fidow, drinkwater, clifford, mclean, robson, mcguire, wright, dunn, taumalolo, cotter, gilbert, hess, asiata

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Paul 'Mary' McGregor
Anthony Seibold
Paul Green
Stephen Kearney (RIP)
Dean Pay

All ready to go if not already. I left out John Morris but some would deem him worthy of a sack.

Then I think of replacements:

Anthony Griffin

Looking forward to seeing some fresh blood in the coaching ranks.

beave

Coach
Unfortunately I think Green's (and granville's) time at Townsville is up. Get Walters in ASAP, move Morgan into the centres when he returns from injury, and we should see some improvement.

My best 17 from current squad: holmes, feldt, morgan, o'neill, fidow, drinkwater, clifford, mclean, robson, wright, mcguire, dunn, taumalolo, cotter, cooper, hess, asiata

Granville still has a year to run on a contract........ sigh

betcats

Referee
I know it was always going to be really hard to keep all of them but just imagine if they found a way to hang onto Ponga and Kikau plus Lolo.

Anyway surely they get rid of green soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The new faster game is much more like SL, I can see Wane, the ex wigan coach getting a gig somewhere next year that wants to play attacking rugby.

jim_57

Staff member

My best 17 from current squad: holmes, feldt, morgan, o'neill, fidow, drinkwater, clifford, mclean, robson, wright, mcguire, dunn, taumalolo, cotter, cooper, hess, asiata

Not keen on Walters at all, this was 10 years ago or so but he was an utter flop in Super League as head coach. He took over a team that came 3rd and took them to 8th then 14th (last) in two years. From memory posters on another forum said he didn't bother to learn any French even though over half his squad were French, then he neglected any sort of youth or local player development for 2 years even though Super League didn't have promotion/relegation at that time.

Maybe he's improved as a club coach but honestly I'd prefer we look at other options. Someone hungry for a start as an NRL coach or someone like Toovey.

All that aside I'd wager if he was successful 100% he'd jump to the Broncos as soon as the option came up.