What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

Perth Red

Post Whore
IMO opinion Ponga was never staying. The unfortunate thing was that Coote deserved to be extended (I would have extended him if I was CEO). He had just won a comp and was a massive reason we were premiers and he was playing great. When Coote signed, Ponga had not played one FG game. The timing was just shit for everyone and Kalyn deserves whatever cash he can get, if Kalyn had of just waited the 12months in NQ til the end of 2018, he would have had the #1 to himself up there, tbh he would have probably had it early/mid 2018 as Coote got injured and was on the outer.

Kikau, Brandon, Uele, Horsbrough are all on those idiots at the club. Holding onto Granville, Hampton, Scott, Cooper, Oneill and going after Maclean have been major f**k ups, Parr and Green need to be held accountable.

Green has coached the football out of them in attack. In the first half last night, they could barely string 2-3 passes together in a single play. They are sloppy and clunky, the first 3 kicks in general play were a f**king mess.

In defence, the problems were shifted to our left side (right side got their shit together) and the middle. Simple shifts to the chooks right couldn’t even be countered because they have zero communication or clue on what the f**k they need to do, they get interested in decoy runners and confused as to who has who.

Has any Storm forward left and been as good? Tolman was tipped as the Roos prop for years to come when at Storm, Proctor, Harris both outstanding second rowers at Storm, look avg elsewhere. McLean just the latest. Looked the next best thing at Storm, avg at Cows.

beave

Coach
*premiership as in singular. Winning a premiership doesn't mean you hold on to those players forever even when they're at the back end of their careers especially when the players are only solid contributors at best in most cases and in most of the cases aside from Ponga the players that left didn't leave for massive money and the cowboys actually spent way more bringing in players externally like McLean, Holmes, Mcguire, O'Neill, etc.

Nailed it.

Reflector

Juniors
best thing the cowboys could do is fire green and find a medical retirement for morgan. You can't pay $1mil for a centre especially someone as injury prone as morgan. The cowboys have a big problem in squad depth. Morgan's salary would help that.

Kevin Walters?? You would need one hell of an assistant coach to hold his hand because Walters would comfortably be the worst coach in the league. Just listen to his commentary, he barely even understands the rules. Look at his results for the Catalan Dragons. He took over a side that was a title contender and led them to the spoon.

How much per season for a Coach Whisperer?

It'll be the North Queensland Cowboys vs 15 other guys...

aqua_duck

Coach
It only takes one. Happened to us too. People like Waterhouse, Clinton, Wesser, Rooney, Lewis and so on were suddenly worth more. It's probably worse if you don't win them often.
Difference is all those guys were quite young at the time and were on rookie deals, guys like Cooper, Granville, Scott, Bolton, etc were at the back end of their careers. Whatever the reason as mentioned early none of the players that left left for big money offers besides Ponga.

beave

Coach
You cowboys fans could learn a thing or two from Dragons fans. Their ranting at the coach thread was much more entertaining.
I’d like to think we are a bit more measured in our disdain for our coach. I get that sometimes shit happens, players get injured etc etc, but if he was sacked tomorrow, look where NQ was when he got there and what it would post said sacking. He will have left the joint in far worse a spot than when he arrived.

For mine, that is the testament of a coach.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
To show where the clubs leadership is at two players that have been rumoured to be leaving at the end of the year (oit if a long lost of spuds) are asiata and molo. Two forwards you would actually want to hang on too. But at least we will have hampton

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Has any Storm forward left and been as good? Tolman was tipped as the Roos prop for years to come when at Storm, Proctor, Harris both outstanding second rowers at Storm, look avg elsewhere. McLean just the latest. Looked the next best thing at Storm, avg at Cows.
Kostjaysn?

SBD82

Coach
You cowboys fans could learn a thing or two from Dragons fans. Their ranting at the coach thread was much more entertaining.
To be fair, Cows fans have the memories of Green coaching a premiership. So there’s gotta be some mixed feelings there.

The extent of my mixed feelings about Mary is trying to work out what would be more appropriate; a public lynching or a trip out to the five islands with a mulcher.

King hit

Coach
I’d like to think we are a bit more measured in our disdain for our coach. I get that sometimes shit happens, players get injured etc etc, but if he was sacked tomorrow, look where NQ was when he got there and what it would post said sacking. He will have left the joint in far worse a spot than when he arrived.

For mine, that is the testament of a coach.
So the good run of 2014-2017 will count for nothing then? It's a shame that Green is shitting on that achievement these days. I thought he did a great job but has just been living of it ever since without adapting.

beave

Coach
So the good run of 2014-2017 will count for nothing then? It's a shame that Green is shitting on that achievement these days. I thought he did a great job but has just been living of it ever since without adapting.

of course it counts for ‘something’ but you have to look at it holistically. NQ made the finals in ‘11-‘12-‘13. Green just continued it on in ‘14 but milked the cows tit dry....... Relying on the same tactics and players post 2015 for far too long and letting up and coming kids with massive potential leave. It’s not like he walked into a club and turned them into premiers that we’re in the bottom 4 for 3-4 years straight prior....... which will be what the next coach has to contend with.

Tbh, I don’t see us finishing any higher than 16-13th this year, the team is so poorly coached and drilled and lacks a massive amount of talent compared to the better teams. He held the club to ransom in 2018, his contract saga was a PR disaster for mine, he came out of it looking shit. I was 100% against his signing in 2013 but was man enough to eat humble shit for 4 years when he was getting the on-field results.

As a player in NQ, the way he carried himself on and off the field rubbed a lot of us the wrong way. In the early 2k’s Tim Sheens tore shreds off him in front of about 1k of us at an open training session in TVL for not listening and putting in a shit effort at the captains run on game eve.What f**king club hires a guy to be their coach when he has sued the same club when he was a player at said club 12 years earlier?

The fact now he doesn’t have an all-star assistant line up anymore is also showing his true colours as a coach as well. It was all well and good when he had Cartwright, Furner, Demetriou and Woolf aiding him, but now he has pot plants in his assistant ‘squad’ we are truly seeing what he has as a coach.

Other than Granville, I cannot think of a player that has improved his game under Green's tutelage. Even he has gone backwards over the last few years.

The great coaches bring out the best from their players. Everyone who plays under Green looks nervous or unmotivated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has there ever been a coach take a team to a GF, have them to turn to sht over subsequent years then lift them up again, or leave them in a better position?