What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Press Conference Thread

Red V for life

Juniors
Blame:
Low completion rates....check
Poor D....check
Opposition for scoring from kicks....check
The field not being 98m long...check
Blame the recruitment and retention staff....check.

Whose fault will it be against the Sharks? The trainers for delivering the wrong messages to the players on the field? His wife for not packing his lucky game day undies?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I am surprised that Mary never thought of
Leilua and Dufty as players he could use this year. Why would he stick to Marketo, Matthews and McCarthy when you had Leilua and Host? Just because he played First Grade at 26 he thinks that 20 is too young. If Widdop and Marshall knew that they might be dropped they might have pulled their fingers out.

Because their name didn't start with an M.

Dea

Juniors
Our salary cap doesn't let us play anybody else and we have to keep the same team.... Excep for Host... And now Leilua... And maybe in the next few weeks some other players, but that is definitely all. Sounds like a Month Python Life of Brian skit, except our team is not meant to be a joke

thebigredv

First Grade
Just watched the press conference today. Seems more and more like a dead man walking - a stubborn zombie. Some of the old excuses, some new ones. He can't get us over the line, literally, and fails to explain that one to the media. His comment about recruitment gives us a look into the type of person and non-professional he is. And if your job is to only coach players, you are not doing that well anyway quite frankly. It's you that is scaring others away, Paul.

If we fluke a win against the Sharks it could be the worse thing ever to happen to our club. This situation is worse than a culture of mediocrity. It is creating conflict in the minds of Dragons fans about results. I can't say I hope we lose but I really don't wish for results that can be used as excuses to give him his last year.

He's overtaken Price as the worst.

1st & 10

Juniors
"Whoever scores the most points in a game wins the game. We didn't score the most points"

1st & 10

Juniors
Widdop chimes in as captain obvious "yeah, we must score more points than the other team to win"

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I honestly thought he would say something like:
'We won the 2nd half against last years finalists. Now that's the last 2 games we have won a half so I guess we deserve 1 point for that"

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Our salary cap doesn't let us play anybody else and we have to keep the same team.... Excep for Host... And now Leilua... And maybe in the next few weeks some other players, but that is definitely all. Sounds like a Month Python Life of Brian skit, except our team is not meant to be a joke
sounding worse every week, cant even lie straight

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
58 games of mediocrity under Price, 59 for McGregor.
I cannot agree with the word "mediocrity" for the 2016 season. It is rating our performance too highly. 8 wins, 12 losses, For 257 Against 422 for a differential of -165. 4 or 5 teams have put 30 odd points on against our much vaunted "D". I would use "mediocre" for the teams who win as many games as they lose and break just about even in For and Against, eg. Warriors, Panthers. For us I would use "struggling" or "battling" only because we have to save words like "poor", 'very poor" and "not competitve" for those teams below us on the table that Mary loves to point to.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
"They scored a few tries from kicks and look at Knights"

I hate that argument. I honestly bust a vein in my head when he says that.
What does he expect?? Tries often come from kicks, it's part of rugby league. Why is he palming off tries coming from kicks like they're some sort of fluke? It's a strategical play, and when you have big tall wingers or fast players who can chase a grubber, why wouldn't you do it?
In fact our ONLY try today came from a kick, is Mary going to say that was illegitimate?
Jesus f**king Christ.