What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peach the great man

shadowboxer

First Grade
from nrl.com.........

David Peachey wants to finish his NRL career a one-club man and is bent on helping Cronulla finally break its premiership duck this season.

The 12-season veteran expressed anguish today at rumours linking him to a move to England and promised Sharks fans "there's no truth whatsoever' in talk of a move.

Peachey said he was upset to have his 13-year-old daughter Ashleigh ask him last week if he was going to England.

"That was probably the hardest thing, to tell my daughter that no I wasn't going to England," he said.

"To hear the innuendo again and the rumours, it's hard. I don't know where they started, but there's no truth in the rumours whatsoever."

The 31-year-old fullback said he wanted to emulate club legend Andrew Ettingshausen who played all his premiership career at Cronulla.

"To play for so long with ET and seen what he's done through the good and the bad, I've been exactly the same as well," Peachey said.

"I was a one-club man in Dubbo as I came through from juniors, and I've been a one-club man here.

"Loyalty's a big factor to me and I think the club realises that and knows that and, in the end, it should be an easy decision.

"I've always said I wanted to finish here."

Peachey, one of the most influential Cronulla players of the past decade, said he would love to run around again next year.

"As long as the body's going well - which it is, I'm feeling great - and I'm enjoying my football, then that's the main thing," he said.

"I'm scoring tries and having fun right throughout the week until game day, so if the club's got me in their plans for next year, then I'd only be too happy to do that.

"If I fit into their plans, then great."

After three painful near-misses, Peachey believes Cronulla's class of 2005 is a genuine chance of ending the club's 38-year title drought.

The Sharks, boasting the best defence in the business, shares the competition lead after eight rounds.

"I don't think it's too far away, a premiership," Peachey said.

"It's only early but, if we get in that predicament where we keep doing what we're doing, there's every possibility."

Peachey went within one win of a grand final berth in 1999, 2001 and 2002 but - on each occasion - the Sharks blew a second-half lead in preliminary finals, against St George Illawarra, Newcastle and the New Zealand Warriors.

"When you're a little bit younger, you think it will come around, but football's not like that. You never know when you've missed your chance," he said.

"We've just got to keep plugging away. It's something that this club's been striving for for many, many years."

Cronulla coach Stuart Raper today said Sharks general manager Steve Rogers met with Peachey's management last week, but a decision about the player's future had yet to be made.

Raper said he was hopeful of announcing an extension to his own contract after Saturday's clash with the Zealand Warriors.

"I was sort of hopeful it would be done this week, but obviously going to Perth tomorrow has put us back a bit," he said.

"But I'm hopeful that we're pretty close to getting things tied up and hopefully we'll make an announcement after this weekend's game."

Brought to you by AAP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres hoping they sort it out sooner than later. He has had his ups and downs but a stauch member of the club and they would be mad not to give him another go.

Dave simmons, (who has improved) keep taking those red apples to training to Mr Raper - teachers pet.

dreary

Juniors
I think it may depend on how the Sharkies go this year. Nothing better for the great man than ending with a premiership, if not I hope he keeps going strong and runs around again next year.

After which I think the club should keep him on the payroll as a country league scout and club ambassador. With his affinity with the towns, people and areas of western NSW and the CRL I think he would be great.

Sharkhead

Juniors
Great post 'dreary' agree with all the above even the the 'brace', Bastard a brace 3 or 4 is it ?
I put Peachies improved form down to 2 things one the obvious the form of the teams defence and the other the presence of Dykes.
He seems to have more time, not forceing the play as much, popping up when the time is right.
Same with kimmorley really his form has gone from good to best!

imasharkie

Coach
Wow that is great news.
Peachey close to signing.
Hope he carries his form from this year into 2006.
I too think that the presence of Dyksee has Peach jumping out of his skin.

i'm not sure they mentioned peach was close to signing did they. he obviously wants to play again next year. all the fans and everybody else (numbskulls excluded) wants him to play again next year.

seems it's the club who aren't rushing to sign him. i guess being that he's close to the end of his career and they know he wouldn't want to go anywhere else they realise they can wait as long as they want while monitoring injuries, form, alien bodysnatchers or whatever takes their fancy before signing an extension with peach. makes sense as long as they communicate this to him clearly.

still, i think an email bombardment of sludge's office is about due !

- Keep the Peach ! -

sladden road

Juniors
best shark article of the year..
says all that is needed..
experience plus hope...
loses but optimism..
better player than mullins and he won one with the cocks at 33...
sign him up
last year i was thomas but this year im on the road to damascus with saul..

sharknows

Bench
"To hear the innuendo again and the rumours, it's hard. I don't know where they started, but there's no truth in the rumours whatsoever."
Danny Weidler strikes again - I can't believe the crap this bloke makes up and channel 9 is trying to give him hero status

Where's that f**ken numbskull who got on here and reported Weidler's LIES as gospel even though we all knew it was BS?

Talk about a fuggen SPUD.

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
Where's that f***en numbskull who got on here and reported Weidler's LIES as gospel even though we all knew it was BS?

Talk about a fuggen SPUD.

Oh dear, what can I say, but thats jsut embaressing. Apart from the fact that this is not needed in a thread which should be praising the mighty Peachey, its is totally false, I have already stated that my thread was merely informing everyone of what Weidler said, now crawl back into that hole you came from :roll:

On Peachey, I agree, sign him up immediately, I dont know why they even consider playing next year without such a great, loyal clubman who has PROVEN he can still peform in the top grade

Latest posts