What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Girds89

Bench
Tries on the left is the inside guys.

Jayden Sua for example in Round 2.

Rookie centre and Kiks being lazy mainly
Just poor numbering up. Was same issue on both sides tonight.

They had an extra man on both tries...

You can be the best defensive team ever but a team like souths are good enough to score when you have the right numbers. When your one short in the line its almost impossible..

Its why its frustrating to read people harping on aboyt the left..

Tago was on a hiding to nothing tonight. If he stays out they go short and he scores..so he jammed in and they went around....

I mean for crying out loud everyone on here last week was moaning that he stayed out instead of jamming in when they scored on the overlap last week..

Its just ridiculous. On a hiding to nothing both weeks on overlaps.. last week stayed out and hell get blamed, this weel jammed in and hell get blamed...

When both weeks its been clear as ive been saying that our issues start from the inside.. fatigue and poor numbering up.

Critta and tago have been fine when its actually a one on one situation... its when we are short that both edges look avg and that goes for all four of them. Not singeling any of them out.

Iamback

Coach
I'm a man known for stubbornness but you might have me covered haha

We were the same with Burton start of last year.
The shit thing is. We will get it sorted ( regardless of the winger ) then lose Kiks next year and be back to square one.

People don't pay attention to such things it seems

Iamback

Coach
Just poor numbering up. Was same issue on both sides tonight.

They had an extra man on both tries...

You can be the best defensive team ever but a team like souths are good enough to score when you have the right numbers. When your one short in the line its almost impossible..

Its why its frustrating to read people harping on aboyt the left..

Tago was on a hiding to nothing tonight. If he stays out they go short and he scores..so he jammed in and they went around....

I mean for crying out loud everyone on here last week was moaning that he stayed out instead of jamming in when they scored on the overlap last week..

Its just ridiculous. On a hiding to nothing both weeks on overlaps.. last week stayed out and hell get blamed, this weel jammed in and hell get blamed...

When both weeks its been clear as ive been saying that our issues start from the inside.. fatigue and poor numbering up.

Critta and tago have been fine when its actually a one on one situation... its when we are short that both edges look avg and that goes for all four of them. Not singeling any of them out.

I am not blaming Tago
So can't blame the winger

Communication and fatigue inside. They don't all do the same thing which leaves the gap

Girds89

Bench
Not trying to be that guy but that's mostly a pointless stat for outside backs, especially wingers
I just find it funny how much people are wanting to pull digs at the left or just blindly support certain players without anything to back up comments.

Basically the left and right this year have both had poor moments in defence. But as i keep saying none of them have really been their fault..

Personally i think tago, critta, staines and may sre all really good defenders.

Crittas easily the best but youd expect that..hes the most experienced.

Tago has had a few games at centre and imo every time hes had a one on one job to do hes nailed it.

As you say.... the wing guys arent really important as much.. taylan is a really good defender, to call him anything ekse suggests people havent watched him play any junior footy and are just biased towards some players.

Both he and staines are good defenders.

Kilkenny

Coach
The only disappointment on what was a great night was Chrichton not positioning Staines for what would certainly have been try. Really should have done better and it would have been a great sight to see Charlie run the 50 metres to put it under the post. Wasn’t to be, have to watch a replay of it again but live I just thought it was a certain try bombed.

Fangs

Coach
The only disappointment on what was a great night was Chrichton not positioning Staines for what would certainly have been try. Really should have done better and it would have been a great sight to see Charlie run the 50 metres to put it under the post. Wasn’t to be, have to watch a replay of it again but live I just thought it was a certain try bombed.

I thought so too. Live I thought he needed to feed him the ball straight away.

Kilkenny

Coach
Nothing more really needs to said about our Dylan Edwards his actions on the field speak for themselves. What I will say thou if I’m a Bunnies supporter watching Latrell, getting the big bucks, and compare what our fellow brings to his team, it is embarrassing really. If I’m a Bunnies fan I would be majorly disappointed with what Latrell did or didn’t do tonight.

Kilkenny

Coach
Just a side note from this evening, quite funny actually.

We had some rather passionate Bunnies fans sitting two rows behind us and they were very vocal until the game was put to bed and it was apparent they couldn’t win.

At one point in the second half one of the Bunnies fans loudly complained about why his side kept kicking it down Dylan’s throat each and every time. I couldn’t help but have a chuckle to myself, particularly given how ‘Trell’ as they affectionately referred to him all game was never in position once to take a kick on the full. ‘Trell’ had 9 hit ups for 71 metres apparently I think that is generous our unheralded equivalent ran for anywhere between 230 -290 metres depending on which stats you prefer. ‘Trell’ love it.

WestyLife

First Grade
Staines was also next level in his first three games.

There is now 240 minutes of multi angle film for attack coaches of May to study. His rookie tendencies will be noted and exploited if possible by well coached sides.

That's entirely why they have second year syndrome.

Really this goes back to my comment on the fact we will lose players we want. Whatever happens there's too much talent and not enough spots.

WestyLife

First Grade
You mean back when he had a broken f**king foot and was still by far better than the other options you were trying to push?

Yes he had a broken foot his entire career that just healed this season. Or maybe he's just put in the work to evolve his game.

It's super interesting how personal people take being right or wrong about players fulfilling their potential. Even more interesting is the context of why I doubted Edwards in the first place doesn't get mentioned. First is his injury history, multiple people here have said, including me, if he could stay fit it'd be huge due to having a reasonably serious injury every season and the passing thing like @Smug Panther mentioned the other day he was missing basic opportunities on that right edge not being willing to throw the pass < this was the biggest factor in people wanting someone like Crichton or even Staines who threw a 20m pass at full speed on debut. This is the part where Edwards was underestimated with his work ethic he's clearly over that as shown last night. In the end right or wrong I win any way since it's our team that benefits.

@Girds89 For defence I was referencing Staines decision making which is top class. Always where he should be as a winger and has shut down many attacking plays. Not to say May can't but the left would be harder to display it based on the issues you yourself mentioned with the inside defenders. May looks ready for first grade as does Tago I definitely don't think they're not. I would rate them the same as your ratings earlier with May a point higher due to his tries.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Happy to be proven wrong since I'm a couch halfback but how many left to right cut out passes do you see now?

I'm sure @Iamback can find a stat for the majority of tries being scored down the left side attack in the NRL.
No one is making it to the NRL if they can’t pass both ways.
I coach an u16 team and they can all certainly do it.
This is a strange thing to say.

Girds89

Bench
The idea Edwards has improved isn't controversial or new.

Mate the whole teams improved....

Over thd last 3 years weve gone from avg at best to champions. That requires all your players to improve....

Yeo has gone from not even close to origin level to best forward in the game in that period..

Fish has improved 200%

Cleary has gone to anpther level over last two seasons...

Brian too.

Edwards has always been a great player and hes supporters on here have always been able to see what he brings to our team.

Hes improved no doubt, as have they all..

Im not shocked theyve all improved over the last few years...winning does that..

Again the narrative that we needed a ball playing fb just never fit..critta isnt a natural ball player and neither is staines. Neither is edwards.. but we domt need him to be..

He just needs to do what hes been doing.

Right now over first 4 games hes not only the form fb in the comp hes up there in top 5 players.

Latest posts