What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Iamback

Coach
Only 1 really.

Storm last year was no Cleary.

Unless my Philter affected memory is failing me, we've only lost at full strength against the Eels in early 2020.

Storm I counted with no Yeo also.

Eels
Tigers
Sharks
Storm

Can't remember the other one

Girds89

Bench
I couldn't pick it honestly but Staines defence probably has him 1st.
Couldnt drop taylan after that.

I mean for crying out loud that was his 3rd nrl game....

That try he scored he beat latrell and campbell.

Hes runs are stronger than charlies.. hes finishing is just unreal..

3 nrl games!!! Just crazy.

And thats not a knock on staines. Hes improved so much as is killing it. But man, taylan is just something else.

Imagine him after the amount of experience staines has had.

Either way things are looking good

Girds89

Bench
Modern players can't pass left to right.

It'll always be harder to defend on the right side due to the majority of the population being right handed.
What?

Haha cmon munky. Modern players are more skillful than ever and they can all pass both ways..

Thats an insane comment haha. Its different for each team as to which side is harder to defend on.

For us our left is definitley weaker defensivley.

Being left or right handed has nothing to do with it..

By your analogy that means cause the majority of the country is right handed its easy for the players on the right to tackle with there more dominant shoulder... not making much sense on that one

Iamback

Coach
Staines only stood out so much in defence because of how bad the right defended tonight.

Without that it is May

Munky

Coach
What?

Haha cmon munky. Modern players are more skillful than ever and they can all pass both ways..

Thats an insane comment haha. Its different for each team as to which side is harder to defend on.

For us our left is definitley weaker defensivley.

Being left or right handed has nothing to do with it..

By your analogy that means cause the majority of the country is right handed its easy for the players on the right to tackle with there more dominant shoulder... not making much sense on that one

Grab a footy and try and pass or kick left sided.

I imagine tackling is like riding a bike, your left leg is less powerful but not noticeably so.

Girds89

Bench
Grab a footy and try and pass or kick left sided.

I imagine tackling is like riding a bike, your left leg is less powerful but not noticeably so.
Grew up playing league and union and me and almost all others i played with in the backs could pass it both ways. Not at some insane high level either.

I promise you even the forwards could all pass it both ways. Its not the 80s anymore. There all freak athletes who spend 40+ hours a week training with a footy in there hand.

Tackling is considerably more difficult on your non dominant arm. A lot of head injuries come from right arm dominant players getting there head in the wrong spot.

Hence why on our left we have luau,kiks and critta who are all left side dominant as its there natural side. But similar to passing the players are all so skillful these days its not that much an issue.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I am not down playing it. When does Cleary miss 7 tackles a game? So less breaks means defence isn't needed.

May is scoring tries, breaking tackles and ave 180m a game
The double stop he made tonight and the one on JAC last year only he can do for us.
We don't really need the meters. May is doing well but he'll go back down I think

Girds89

Bench
Charlie is always a gun in defence. Don't down play it

Really dont want to get into an argument over staines and tiny but tiny has been on another planet in his 3 games.

You can take a few errors for what he brings to the table..

Ask yourself? If we put him back to cup wjen too is back do you think well keep him? Clubs will be all over him.. i like charlie and how much hes improved this year but i mean, tiny has played 3 games and already looks better.

Again thats not down playing staines..hes been brilliant but thats just the reality of it.

Munky

Coach
Grew up playing league and union and me and almost all others i played with in the backs could pass it both ways. Not at some insane high level either.

I promise you even the forwards could all pass it both ways. Its not the 80s anymore. There all freak athletes who spend 40+ hours a week training with a footy in there hand.

Tackling is considerably more difficult on your non dominant arm. A lot of head injuries come from right arm dominant players getting there head in the wrong spot.

Hence why on our left we have luau,kiks and critta who are all left side dominant as its there natural side. But similar to passing the players are all so skillful these days its not that much an issue.

Happy to be proven wrong since I'm a couch halfback but how many left to right cut out passes do you see now?

I'm sure @Iamback can find a stat for the majority of tries being scored down the left side attack in the NRL.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Really dont want to get into an argument over staines and tiny but tiny has been on another planet in his 3 games.

You can take a few errors for what he brings to the table..

Ask yourself? If we put him back to cup wjen too is back do you think well keep him? Clubs will be all over him.. i like charlie and how much hes improved this year but i mean, tiny has played 3 games and already looks better.

Again thats not down playing staines..hes been brilliant but thats just the reality of it.
Hard to call at this point. Staines is our backup fullback which counts for a lot but Turuva is probably the better prospect

Munky

Coach
Staines was also next level in his first three games.

There is now 240 minutes of multi angle film for attack coaches of May to study. His rookie tendencies will be noted and exploited if possible by well coached sides.

Last edited: