What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V the lot that stole our song, & claimed it as their own (bulldogs)

Kilkenny

Coach
How did you get to the game?? I usually like to drive but the old stadium was horrible to park at.

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Novotel, Parramatta, which is a short walk to the ground and we parked underneath. Enjoyed our drinks before the game and meal & drinks after the game. The at the game experience was depressing other than the fact the stadium itself is impressive. You can get off street parking if you get there very early otherwise your only option is paid parking in the various paid options in and around the CBD.

Kilkenny

Coach
Just on the game itself and I have avoided this forum since the game but the thing that stood out for me personally is the form or lack there off of Nathan Cleary. It is a major, major concern. He is a SOO half back supposedly but you certainly wouldn’t know based on his performance.

I think Nathan Cleary will benefit enormously from Jimmy Maloney leaving the club as silly as that sounds. Assuming he is going to continue in the number 7, which he almost certainly will, he needs to benefit from having full ownership of the attacking plays. Currently he is playing in Jimmys shadow and that is doing him no good whatsoever.

I think in 2020, it will be Nathan’s team, rightly or wrongly, with either Laui and or Matt Burton as the support act. Now I see that as a good thing. We need to move on from Jimmy Maloney and reinvent ourselves as a team. The dummy half and fullback positions remain an issue and Ivan needs to make some big calls there going forward. We certainly have two young up & coming fullbacks who are going to put pressure on Dylan Edwards who has been very good in my opinion.

Our biggest issue is the dummy half. We simply don’t have someone who creates anything out of dummy half. Watching some of the hookers in the modern game they create so much either running out of dummy half or just from there creativity and we don’t have that from any of ours. Maybe it is a coaching thing but seriously Egan, Katoa and
Kenny just aren’t in the same ball park as most of the other dummy halves currently. Watching the Roosters v Titans game yesterday the 18 year Roosters dummy half was dynamite, scooting out of dummy half. I just don’t get it. I’m not sure it is all the players fault as much as the game plan we employ. Regardless of where the fault lays we need to get it sorted one way or the other.

I just wonder how more potent we would be if we had a hooker such as Josh Hodgson from the Raiders. It would be interesting.

Abacus

Juniors
Just on the game itself and I have avoided this forum since the game but the thing that stood out for me personally is the form or lack there off of Nathan Cleary. It is a major, major concern. He is a SOO half back supposedly but you certainly wouldn’t know based on his performance.

I think Nathan Cleary will benefit enormously from Jimmy Maloney leaving the club as silly as that sounds. Assuming he is going to continue in the number 7, which he almost certainly will, he needs to benefit from having full ownership of the attacking plays. Currently he is playing in Jimmys shadow and that is doing him no good whatsoever.

I think in 2020, it will be Nathan’s team, rightly or wrongly, with either Laui and or Matt Burton as the support act. Now I see that as a good thing. We need to move on from Jimmy Maloney and reinvent ourselves as a team. The dummy half and fullback positions remain an issue and Ivan needs to make some big calls there going forward. We certainly have two young up & coming fullbacks who are going to put pressure on Dylan Edwards who has been very good in my opinion.

Our biggest issue is the dummy half. We simply don’t have someone who creates anything out of dummy half. Watching some of the hookers in the modern game they create so much either running out of dummy half or just from there creativity and we don’t have that from any of ours. Maybe it is a coaching thing but seriously Egan, Katoa and
Kenny just aren’t in the same ball park as most of the other dummy halves currently. Watching the Roosters v Titans game yesterday the 18 year Roosters dummy half was dynamite, scooting out of dummy half. I just don’t get it. I’m not sure it is all the players fault as much as the game plan we employ. Regardless of where the fault lays we need to get it sorted one way or the other.

I just wonder how more potent we would be if we had a hooker such as Josh Hodgson from the Raiders. It would be interesting.
I can't help but think that we were complacent and out-coached.
Now we'll turn up to play the Sharks and get beat despite a great effort, making the Dogs loss even more crucial.

Kilkenny

Coach
I can't help but think that we were complacent and out-coached.
Now we'll turn up to play the Sharks and get beat despite a great effort, making the Dogs loss even more crucial.

I know what you are saying but I didn’t think we were complacent at all, just hopeless basically.

At the game you could see everyone was putting in, we were really trying we were just clueless.

I think had Naden just grounded the ball rather than trying to do what he did, catch it and then ground it the result could have been different but that is no excuse for the other 50 possessions we had inside the Bulldogs 20 metre zone.

I give us no chance against a Sharks side on the way up.

Kilkenny

Coach
I should say being at the game on the weekend the lowlight was hearing the song ‘Hey Baby’. My all time favourite song which was synonymous at our home games after we had scored our fifth or sixth try on the back of a great win. Hearing the song Hey Baby after the Bulldogs third and winning try was the ultimate kick in the guts.

Panfa

Juniors
They stole more than just our song they also stole a very important 2 points which could have just derailed our season.Why is it that the players that leave penrith always aim up for our games why dont our players fire up to smash the dopes who left it amazes me that we cant fire up especially this friday.

franklin2323

Immortal
I will give you the Raiders and Dogs one, but the Dragons inside ball was a tough pass to make.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your post. He has potential but needs a good off season to polish his performance. I expect he will come back all the better for it next year.

He bombed 1 v Roosters and NZ too. Nothing an off season can't fix but still needs work