What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Without Cleary

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s possible Burton could get the 14 role of the bench for SOO.

Luai out for 2-4 weeks.

I think we seriously have to consider bringing in short time half/five eight signing to cover us till the end of the season.

We have till August 1. Maybe Milford could be someone worthy looking at, unwanted at the Broncos could be worth a gamble as cover. no doubt there are others.

Still prob need an edge forward.

Both halves will come back.. then with Burton that half is wasted

The_Frog

First Grade
It’s possible Burton could get the 14 role of the bench for SOO.

Luai out for 2-4 weeks.

I think we seriously have to consider bringing in short time half/five eight signing to cover us till the end of the season.

We have till August 1. Maybe Milford could be someone worthy looking at, unwanted at the Broncos could be worth a gamble as cover. no doubt there are others.
Not the way this club does things.

mxlegend99

Referee
Who then? We just beat a top 4 side with him at 7.
We beat them despite him at 7. Api was the only reason we won.

Nathan has missed 4 games and we have lost 2 and won 2 by a combined 3 points. We need to look at improving if he's not on board. Tyrone May is not the answer.

Luai and Burton looked much better against Storm than Luai and May. They didn't have Api and lost Edwards mid game. That's easily our best halves combination while Cleary is out.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We beat them despite him at 7. Api was the only reason we won.

Nathan has missed 4 games and we have lost 2 and won 2 by a combined 3 points. We need to look at improving if he's not on board. Tyrone May is not the answer.

Luai and Burton looked much better against Storm than Luai and May. They didn't have Api and lost Edwards mid game. That's easily our best halves combination while Cleary is out.
And now it's Burton and Falls. Clear as day

Pomoz

Bench
Who then? We just beat a top 4 side with him at 7.
I understand the sentiment, but we only just beat the Eels and we were not very good by our own high standards. In addition to the poor performance last night we have the evidence of the previous two losses with May at halfback to show that number 7 is not his position. He gives his all, makes many good tackles, but when we are attacking it all turns to custard.

Cleary's logic is just his usual default decision making. "Take no risks". We cannot win the premiership without taking some risks and putting the best players on the field in their preferred positions whenever possible. When it comes to spine positions, putting round pegs in round holes makes even more sense. May is a good player, but he is not a halfback. Why on earth he wouldn't have put Burton at half, Tago in the centres, or Naden for that matter and Jennings on the wing is beyond my comprehension. It's perverse and masochistic to put May there.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I understand the sentiment, but we only just beat the Eels and we were not very good by our own high standards. In addition to the poor performance last night we have the evidence of the previous two losses with May at halfback to show that number 7 is not his position. He gives his all, makes many good tackles, but when we are attacking it all turns to custard.

Cleary's logic is just his usual default decision making. "Take no risks". We cannot win the premiership without taking some risks and putting the best players on the field in their preferred positions whenever possible. When it comes to spine positions, putting round pegs in round holes makes even more sense. May is a good player, but he is not a halfback. Why on earth he wouldn't have put Burton at half, Tago in the centres, or Naden for that matter and Jennings on the wing is beyond my comprehension. It's perverse and masochistic to put May there.
Great post

franklin2323

Immortal

The plan long term is Cleary/Luai halves though. Anything short term plug the holes.

It doesn't help when others certain starters keep missing games.

I rate Falls but that chance got missed. Should of blooded him weeks ago now he maybe plays 1 game then is out cause Luai is back. That part makes sense

What we can do is change the attack up though. Play off Api. Come up with a few set moves and defence will do the rest

We score 20 points we beat both Warriors and Broncos

The_Frog

First Grade
Why on earth he wouldn't have put Burton at half, Tago in the centres, or Naden for that matter and Jennings on the wing is beyond my comprehension.
Jennings is injured. Tago is a rookie and looks a bit light on to me. I thought Burton would play in the halves but he wanted to preserve as much of the team's structure as possible, and he wanted to show belief in Tyrone May, who has suffered a dip in form for whatever reason and could be down on confidence. Maybe that belief will be repaid later. May acquitted himself reasonably well but is copping plenty of criticism from all quarters. Now that Luai is injured as well, it is inconceivable that he will move May away from the halves. They've got 14 days to run plays so for the sake of the side lets hope Burton isn't selected for NSW. He'll play Origin eventually.

WestyLife

First Grade
Jennings is injured. Tago is a rookie and looks a bit light on to me. I thought Burton would play in the halves but he wanted to preserve as much of the team's structure as possible, and he wanted to show belief in Tyrone May, who has suffered a dip in form for whatever reason and could be down on confidence. Maybe that belief will be repaid later. May acquitted himself reasonably well but is copping plenty of criticism from all quarters. Now that Luai is injured as well, it is inconceivable that he will move May away from the halves. They've got 14 days to run plays so for the sake of the side lets hope Burton isn't selected for NSW. He'll play Origin eventually.

Surely fittler won't pick Burton knowing we need him now with Luai out.

As far as May goes he's simply not good enough to be starting half. It's his form I hate not the man. his personal business is his own. What the options are I don't know I'd be tempted to play Falls or Salmon and trust the club wide systems.

murraymob

Coach
Reality with the injuries may will be in the halves with burton .if Edwards is back there will be not much change to our side

The_Frog

First Grade

As far as May goes he's simply not good enough to be starting half. It's his form I hate not the man. his personal business is his own. What the options are I don't know I'd be tempted to play Falls or Salmon and trust the club wide systems.
Falls and Salmon are not in the bubble so aren't options, unless I'm mistaken. Also they haven't been training with the first grade squad and so won't be familiar with the plays. Apparently Edwards played some half during his development, but surely things aren't so dire we need to use him there.

WestyLife

First Grade
Falls and Salmon are not in the bubble so aren't options, unless I'm mistaken. Also they haven't been training with the first grade squad and so won't be familiar with the plays. Apparently Edwards played some half during his development, but surely things aren't so dire we need to use him there.

I thought the two grades train together. The reserve graders are usually in the training picks.

WestyLife

First Grade
To win the next few games this is the best side by far but I think overall we need someone to play halves with Burton in the finals if Nath and Luai fall over

I'd just start Falls and get him into a rythm in first grade but won't happen. Maybe can't.

franklin2323

Immortal

If both were out long term Falls or Salmon are no brainers. You are maybe 2 games at most looking for cover. Rather be sure in defence

Latest posts