What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

ACTPanthers

Bench
I wanted him gone since day one. I didn't order a Premiers T-shirt for the sole reason that I don't want to wear his image.
However, this latest witch-hunt has been a massive over-reaction. Condemned by the Twitter flogs over the interpretation of some fkn Drake lyrics FFS.
I get your point my friend, I really do.

I personally saw his post as a lack of remorse, but as the age old adage says, opinions are like arseholes.

roofromoz

First Grade
How is Storm cradling the trophy anything like dismantling it?

Being in that FB group, the reason for the post is that the trophy was being 'disrespected' in that photo, as quoted in the breach notice statement. I agree that the photo with Brandon Smith is not in a dismantled state, which is why I thought the penalty was for.

mxlegend99

Referee
However it ended up in pieces, I still don't see the similarities to Smith cradling it a year earlier.
Panthers were fined for doing exactly that. Treating it like a baby was 'disrespectful'.

Panthers players didn't break the trophy. It was damaged by a woman trying to get a photo with it. Nothing disrespectful. Just an honest accident. It fell and the weld broke

The media crucified them for breaking the trophy before knowing what happened... And then when the investigation was over they ignored the story (the story isnt worth reporting if the Panthers aren't villains) until the NRL fined them for disrespecting the trophy. The media headlines make it appear as though they were fined for breaking the trophy

Cleary and Crichton were fined for putting the trophy in a pram and for cradling it like a baby. 12 months ago Brandon Smith did the exact same thing and the media praised him and the Storm for partying it up and celebrating the win.

The public think players broke the trophy and were fined for it. Because that's basically how the media have framed it. The bury the truth behind a paywall article and in the middle of lengthy articles where the headlines make it look like the fines are related to the broken trophy. I don't blame anyone for thinking that because that's exactly how it looks. If I hadn't seen screenshots of the articles behind a paywall I would think the exact same thing. Most people arent paying for access to those articles.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
(the story isnt worth reporting if the Panthers aren't villains)
Would love to know the logic of dropping this absolute rubbish in the middle of an otherwise articulate post. Found myself agreeing with you til this appeared... Why say something as inane as this?

soc123_au

Staff member
I don't disagree and as always I consider there to be a massive difference between the Flog and the average Penrith fan around here...but Manu Ma'u is about the most ridiculous example he could have used.

Actually I feel like old Froggy has a lot in common with Tyrone May.

Anyway it's all pretty overblown. The trophy thing was careless. May's a f**kwit but there's plenty worse.
Danny Wicks would have been a better example. The main difference I suppose is Wicks appeared to go out of his way not to make poor decisions after he had done his time.

mxlegend99

Referee
Would love to know the logic of dropping this absolute rubbish in the middle of an otherwise articulate post. Found myself agreeing with you til this appeared... Why say something as inane as this?
How is it rubbish?

For a week the media are spamming and recycling the same bullshit about the broken trophy that the disrespectful players broke and once the investigation was complete they just basically ignore the truth as they aren't interested in that story when it's revealed that it was an honest mistake made from someone that isn't a player

Theb the NRL fined the players (because the media blew the story up) they're suddenly interested in it again counting on the headlines to make it look like the players are responsible for breaking the trophy.

Most people think the players broke the trophy. Because the only articles freely available everywhere give that indication. There's no freely available articles or headlines that clear the players of breaking it. In this very thread people still think the players broke it because of the fines players received and that's exactly what those headlines are intended to make people think.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How is it rubbish?

For a week the media are spamming and recycling the same bullshit about the broken trophy that the disrespectful players broke and once the investigation was complete they just basically ignore the truth as they aren't interested in that story when it's revealed that it was an honest mistake made from someone that isn't a player

Theb the NRL fined the players (because the media blew the story up) they're suddenly interested in it again counting on the headlines to make it look like the players are responsible for breaking the trophy.

Most people think the players broke the trophy. Because the only articles freely available everywhere give that indication. There's no freely available articles or headlines that clear the players of breaking it. In this very thread people still think the players broke it because of the fines players received and that's exactly what those headlines are intended to make people think.
I have no doubt the media are carrying on (although I think May's post lit the fire and the media have then fanned the flames).

I just don't buy into this rubbish that Penrith are somehow villains. The media don't care who the club is - if it's controversial they'll run it and run it til it literally has no more oxygen. Same deal with the Tigers being a basketcase, Canterbury having zero discpline off-field (or on-field lately), Brisbane when Bennett isn't there anymore, the list goes on.

This will blow over soon and Penrith will go back to being a good news story probably

Pantherjim.

Referee
It’s not like the trophy hasn’t ever been damaged via mishap after a Grand Final anyway, Bradley Clyde dropped it damaging the base after the 1989 GF against Balmain, the Raiders weren’t on trial via media at the time as I recall.

Latest posts