What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

forby

Juniors
Honestly, is this the best defensive team the NRL or Rugby League has ever seen? I have been going to Penrith games since 67 and other games from the early 70s and I can't remember any team being so good over such a length of time.
The genuine pride the team takes in defending the line is something to behold. 1991 was a great team, and 2003 was a case of if we can't stop you scoring we'll just score more. However the 2020-2022 Panthers are something extra special and should go down in history as one of the greatest club sides ever!

Original Name

Juniors
Who could hate on the raiders? They're like your typical dickhead drunk uncle. Just sit back and enjoy the ride until he passes out in his own vomit.
Rapana is the grubbiest player in the game. Nobody pays attention to it because the Raiders are consistently shit.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Honestly, is this the best defensive team the NRL or Rugby League has ever seen? I have been going to Penrith games since 67 and other games from the early 70s and I can't remember any team being so good over such a length of time.
The genuine pride the team takes in defending the line is something to behold. 1991 was a great team, and 2003 was a case of if we can't stop you scoring we'll just score more. However the 2020-2022 Panthers are something extra special and should go down in history as one of the greatest club sides ever!
“So good over such a length of time”?

some11

Referee
Here's a spreadsheet I just whipped up of lowest ppg conceded before the 6 again era. Just for reference though Penrith conceded around 11.9 ppg the last two years.

defence.png

Last edited:
Its so odd watching them running around on the field, as I fully expect them to hover above it like the majestical beings they are.
It’s just amazing that they take time off from their main roles of caring for sick, orphaned echidnas and leading the research into curing cancer to be the best sporting team of all time.

The_Frog

First Grade
Here's a spreadsheet I just whipped up of lowest ppg conceded before the 6 again era. Just for reference though Penrith conceded around 11.9 ppg the last two years.

defence.png
So we're behind the Manly sides of 95-96, bang in the middle of the Super League war (which I would suggest was very relevant in outcomes of the time), and the Storm sides that cheated the cap. Discarding the cheating Storm sides, to get a remotely accurate picture you have to compare points conceded to average points scored by all teams. Manly in '96 conceded 45% of the average in a 20 team comp with an awful lot of reserve grade players. Panthers in 2021 conceded 51% of the average in a 16 team comp. This was adversely affected by Origin (7 players missed 2 games in which we conceded 45 points), whereas Manly in '96 only had Toovey and Menzies in Origin.. So we'll have to be content to be the best defensive side of the NRL era. That really was a great Manly side too.

Last edited: