What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

mxlegend99

Referee
I know we all had a bit of a chuckle over the WCC but it would be pure folly to write Penrith off based on that.

If Edwards plays, they win.

They will still finish top 4 and could still even finish first. I think what the WCC did make obvious though, is they won't roll through the competition like they did last year. There will be more teams capable of challenging them and they will be involved in a greater number of tight games resulting in more losses.

They are still one of the candidates to win the comp as opposed to the obvious candidate.
Last year Eels pumped them 36 nil in a trial.

Edwards. Martin. Sorensen. Luke rested with minor injuries

Api and Kikau missing for first time.

Most of the players had shortened pre-seasons and this was their first match together. Definitely not ideal circumstances.

That said there's some things we can tell based on that game and last year. Ie. Garner is not that good. Kenny will be a huge downgrade on Api. Etc.

I think Panthers will be 3rd to 6th depending on injuries. Though if Cleary or Edwards was out for an extended period we could slide a bit further. If we can be fully fit for finals with our best players firing I rate us as having an extra level and a premiership threat. Just like Storm used to be able to do. I just dont think we can easily go through the season dominating anymore with this roster.

Wizardman

First Grade
An unhealthy combination of bedwetters and doomsday fans in internet land tonight.

At this stage of the season, you'd have to be an absolute fool to put the line through Penrith.

1. Their key players are clearly underdone. For Penrith after their big two years, that is not a bad thing and is to be expected. They are going to take a while to come out of the blocks and hit their straps. I'd actually be a bit concerned if their form was in top notch right now. There are new players replacing some key players that will need some time before they make some impact. A guy who hits holes like Garner is going to need some time. Penrith's first two games were played in the rain.....hardly friendly conditions for a new recruit who has a hole hitting style. Let's see how they go after 6-8 weeks before making a call on their premiership defence.

2. It is round........one. As I stated in the previous paragraph, I think many of their players would have had a relatively light off season. Give them some time!

3. The wet weather. Penrith have played their first two games in the wet.....not a great assistance towards building a platform of attacking footy. If the St Helens and Broncos games were played in dry weather.....some of those close opportunities in attack would have been converted into points. Penrith win both of those games in dry weather.

4. Penrith's defence. Over the last two years, the quality of Penrith's attack has wavered from game to game (mostly good though). What I had not seen waver though is the quality of their defence. I don't think I had seen a soft try scored against them in the last two years. While Chriction seems to be quite off, the rest of them still appear very much in sync with their defence and put on their best efforts. They are still tough to break down. While this is still the case, I cannot put a line through them. The day I will write off Penrith as a contender is when a few players in their squad begin to let soft tries in. I have seen no evidence of this, despite losing their last two games.

I am not saying Penrith will or won't win the title. Im saying.....f**k....it is round one and far too early to tell. Lets check back in week eight or so.

MugaB

Coach
The thought did cross my mind...
Luai dont care if he is a weak gutted dog, he cared that salmon wasn't behind him when he no-looked passed, a Kiks specialty play, not sure why we are still persistent on trying to fill the Kikau sized hole.. with garner/salmon
Should be filling it with another monster, not a average plodder from the wooden spooners in Garner

Vic Mackey

Referee

Whats Gus complaining about didn't he entice Kikau and other Penrith coaching staff to the dogs.

Gus is the most full of s*#t prick in the game. ‘There’s no incentive to develop players’

winning 2 comps isn’t an incentive?!

Then lists Api and Kikau as examples, who Penrith bought from other clubs 😂

Generalzod

Immortal
Gus is the most full of s*#t prick in the game. ‘There’s no incentive to develop players’

The other day I saw him at Miranda fair (Westfields) walked around like he owned the place...

MugaB

Coach

Generalzod

Immortal
Gus might be the only guy allowed to poach from the panthers... rorters not so much
LOL

It's stinks of hypocrisy I wonder whether Andrew Johns still likes watching how badly his Newcastle team is going.