What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Wizardman

First Grade
As the original poster of this thread, I predicted that this side would have great success over a period of time. At the end of last year, I thought they were a shot this year but would not be as good as they were in 2022.
The 2023 side is indeed in my opinion, the weakest of the premiership sides. The fact that they still wipe the floor with 15 of the 16 other sides with Brisbane being the only real tough nut to crack for them speaks to how well they are coached. Talentwise, man for man, I think the Broncos edge out Penrith. The great difference between the sides was their mindset, the way they are coached plus some elite plays from Chrichton and Cleary which led to a title.

I have nothing but admiration for this team. As a Tigers fan, I hated Ivan Cleary and didn't like the initial success of the Panthers. But, they have won me over with time. This IS the greatest side I have ever seen.

Not that Panthers fans should care....but I think the energy towards being excellent for such a long period of time will probably finally take their toll next year. Their biggest challenge will probably be desire to climb that mountain again. Roster-wise, I think Taylan May will do a job at centre. Leniu will be harder to replace so I hope for their sake they have a young prop coming through as I don't think Lindsay Smith fits that bill.

Huge congratulations!!!

As the original poster of this thread, I predicted that this side would have great success over a period of time. At the end of last year, I thought they were a shot this year but would not be as good as they were in 2022.
The 2023 side is indeed in my opinion, the weakest of the premiership sides. The fact that they still wipe the floor with 15 of the 16 other sides with Brisbane being the only real tough nut to crack for them speaks to how well they are coached. Talentwise, man for man, I think the Broncos edge out Penrith. The great difference between the sides was their mindset, the way they are coached plus some elite plays from Chrichton and Cleary which led to a title.

I have nothing but admiration for this team. As a Tigers fan, I hated Ivan Cleary and didn't like the initial success of the Panthers. But, they have won me over with time. This IS the greatest side I have ever seen.

Not that Panthers fans should care....but I think the energy towards being excellent for such a long period of time will probably finally take their toll next year. Their biggest challenge will probably be desire to climb that mountain again. Roster-wise, I think Taylan May will do a job at centre. Leniu will be harder to replace so I hope for their sake they have a young prop coming through as I don't think Lindsay Smith fits that bill.

Huge congratulations!!!
Lisati has potential to be like Leniu, will need more match minutes into his development though.
McLean/Iongi will be next Critchon.
Cole has more upside than Luai and Katoa.
Schneider as backup half has more upside than recent back ups Cogger and OSullivan.
Sommerton will be 14 next season as Kenny’s back up.
Theyre in a good spot for 2024/2025.

MugaB

Coach
Sounds like they can afford to build their own stadium. Nsw tax payers will be happy :)
Yes its great to have a local team that the govt is willing to spend money on, i reckon we apply for a 2nd franchise in penrith, its will get rubber stamped quicker than one will ever get in Perf

BunniesMan

Immortal
The NRL has to look at the salary cap to stop this. Because right now if Penrith players keep taking unders they will win next year and the year after with no end in sight to this dominance which is bad for the game.

The NRL must make a rule saying a player's club must pay him his market value. If you have another club wanting a bloke for a million a year then sure he has freedom and he can stay at his club out of loyalty. BUT that club must now pay him a million a year.

MugaB

Coach
The NRL has to look at the salary cap to stop this. Because right now if Penrith players keep taking unders they will win next year and the year after with no end in sight to this dominance which is bad for the game.

The NRL must make a rule saying a player's club must pay him his market value. If you have another club wanting a bloke for a million a year then sure he has freedom and he can stay at his club out of loyalty. BUT that club must now pay him a million a year.
Cough cough jack wighton... cough cough
Stop throwing stones, and just get better at running your salary cap, or just get better at winning games

Latest posts