What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets see if he can sustain it for ten years and bring through a second wave under his guidance, then he might be close to Bellyache. At the moment he is a distant second, even with their two season win record.

blaza88z

Coach
It’s interesting how people assess the Panthers by heralding their star players through their 13/17, as well as things like fitness, balance, teamwork and morale. And that’s all valid. But you hardly ever see Ivan Cleary credited for the current success. He is never the focus of media praise.

I’ve never seen a team on a winning streak and setting records where so little attention is paid to the coach (though he probably welcomes being out of the limelight). I know a lot of the current success can be put down to the junior system and good salary cap management, both of which owe a lot to Gus, but I think Cleary’s role in harnessing the talent in this team is being understated.

And yes, he will be very wary of things going awry later in the season, just based on last season, and perhaps his lost grand final with the Warriors.

Ivan Cleary is the best coach we have seen in the NRL for quite some time

Couldn't agree more, what other valid points have you got?

This year's Penrith Panthers side has attack all over the field,

The Panthers at the moment, they can create opportunities at any time, plus it's backed up by their defence.

cc3d050e7108be3623f2f483508461b5

)
The 2020 Penrith Panthers team hasn't let in any points in the first 20 minutes of a game since round one.

It's been mind-blowing to watch. They've just got every box ticked at the moment.

When I sit down and watch the Penrith Panthers, they're probably a lot better team than what they were in 2003.

Not only that, but this team's even younger than in 2003.

The_Frog

First Grade
Lets see if he can sustain it for ten years and bring through a second wave under his guidance, then he might be close to Bellyache. At the moment he is a distant second, even with their two season win record.
Not even second to be honest. He's only recently passed a 50% win rate. He's really managed to hit the spot with his current player group, though.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
Ivan Cleary is no super coach, he's copped a few sackings throughout his career.

I heard on NRL360 last night he wanted the origin salary cap bonus to not count towards the cap, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This year's Penrith Panthers side has attack all over the field,

The Panthers at the moment, they can create opportunities at any time, plus it's backed up by their defence.

cc3d050e7108be3623f2f483508461b5

)
The 2020 Penrith Panthers team hasn't let in any points in the first 20 minutes of a game since round one.

It's been mind-blowing to watch. They've just got every box ticked at the moment.

When I sit down and watch the Penrith Panthers, they're probably a lot better team than what they were in 2003.

Not only that, but this team's even younger than in 2003.

They've arguably benefitted most from the rule changes due to their small and agile attacking side. Storm would be the club that has currently adapted the best, going from a side reliant on controlling the ruck to one that can play up tempo attacking football just like that. Im amazed the massive Sotrm forwards have adapted so well.
Roosters are going through change and injury but Robinson would be #2 coach for me so no doubt he will have the squad changed and ready next year, Warriors SHOULD be a club that love these rule changes and hopefully when they get back home we might see them being advantaged by them. The rest are all over the shop with the game changes.

Correct, we have benefit from the rule changes and we play structured but we also play touch footy sometimes as well, I think the Penrith Panthers will be clear sailing this year. The pain and anguish the players felt in those first few minutes after last years Grand final game finished will drive them. It will fuel their fire over the off-season to go one step further in 2021 and this time not only make the big dance but do the Cha-Cha!

One year older, one year wiser. 2020 rookies such as Charlie Staines, Matt Burton and Daine Laurie all had a taste of first grade and showed they were more than ready for it. Staines is a speed machine, Laurie can play a variety of positions and well, we all know what Matt Burton can do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its theirs for the losing for sure but as we saw in the Storm game there isnt anything between the two clubs. Olam decides to pass to the unmarked winger instead of going for the line in the last minute and Storm win that one. It will be a very close GF I think if they both get there. Amazingly I think Storm look better this year than they did last.

Fair is fair, due is due, I must reluctantly agree with Ivan on this occasion.

All things considered, the load on the Panthers is entirely disproportionate this season.

They are doing an outstanding job and richly deserved of cap and ancillary relief.

Last edited:
The Panthers are alone at the top of the ladder, but they're only one point ahead of the Storm and Eels. Plus you can never count out the Roosters because they always come good when it matters.

The Storm are probably playing the best footy of those challengers at the moment, but the Eels are finding ways to win ugly even though they're in a bit of a flat patch after their 5-0 start, which included a win over Penrith.

I'd love to see a Parramatta-Penrith grand final. The battle of the west would make for a pretty special grand final.

If it wasn't that, I'd love to see a Penrith-Newcastle grand final. Just to see a couple of sides with passionate fan bases that haven't been there for a long time would be awesome.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sydneysiders would rather Melbourne Storm win the premiership than the Penrith Panthers. That's disgusting.
Not just Sydneysiders, Queenslanders too ;)

Seriously thought, the Panthers didn't win when it counted and even this year only beat the storm by 2 points. Hopefully the Storm beat them in the GF again this year too. A minor club with a small fan base dominating does nothing for the game. If it were the dogs, souths, eels, tigers, broncos, warriors, cowboys or even dragons displaying this kind of dominance it would actually light up the whole comp in terms of interest / buzz and in most cases be capitalised on with actual large crowds.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
The Panthers are alone at the top of the ladder, but they're only one point ahead of the Storm and Eels. Plus you can never count out the Roosters because they always come good when it matters.

The Storm are probably playing the best footy of those challengers at the moment, but the Eels are finding ways to win ugly even though they're in a bit of a flat patch after their 5-0 start, which included a win over Penrith.

I'd love to see a Parramatta-Penrith grand final. The battle of the west would make for a pretty special grand final.

If it wasn't that, I'd love to see a Penrith-Newcastle grand final. Just to see a couple of sides with passionate fan bases that haven't been there for a long time would be awesome.
Lol. The new forum format actually provides links to the pages that you’re plagiarising.

Not plagiarising, I wrote it first off. Again it is a terrible response and just some normal type of bullying that we Penrith Panther fans have had to face since, well, since Forever. it comes with the territory and each and every single Penrith Panther fan knows what I am saying and has faced it. For Penrith, the next few weeks during SOO are crucial. First off, it is imperative that NSW win the SOO and that Penrith players are the drivers of that. We want out Penrith players also not to get injured. But it is also very important that the young Penrith Panther Cubs on display tonight, show up and show out. If we are going to have the most glorious season in sporting history and win, win, win all the games and be the greatest team ever, the Penrith Panther Cubs must win tonight. Everybody is against us. The whole world is against us. But if we can pull off a win tonight, it may be the greatest ever performance in the history of humanity, not only sport. To be decimated because WE Penrith are the NSW State of origin side and to have our unknown unmanned players come in and do what WE all hope will happen and Win will be great for all of Rugby League. it will give the world hope in very very dark times. The world is very troubled at the moment and it seems only the Penrith Panthers can save it. Go Boys!!!!

I'm actually looking forward to this game more than Origin. I think we can win, and win well, it will be a good indicator of the shape we are in as a club long term.