What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Walker played well and kept Souths in it; pity for him he threw the intercept. Doesn't deserve to be tarred for that play.

He is all elbows though when he is tackling, and like a chat when he's on top; I'm sure Nathan was probably reminding him of some of the chat he had received during the game. It isn't usually Nath's bag to get involved in the talk...
Definitely. Without Walker Souths dont ever go close IMO. He ultimately threw the pass that gave Panthers the match winner. But he was the most dangerous player in the South's side.

Scored a good try. Set one up for Johnston. But unfortunately for him he's gonna be remembered more for the intercept probably.

Nathan threw one in last years grand final. Every playmaker has thrown them. The difference between them being a good pass and a bad one is usually dependent on how the opposition read the play.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Cleary controlled the game with his boot. His side was busted and knew we had to win in a defensive grinding match. His kicking game and game management was inch perfect.

5 drop outs forced. Souths basically started every set off on their line which made defending them a hell of a lot easier and reduced the amount of attacking ball Souths had.

The final result also came down to goal kicking. Nathan nailed a sideline conversion. Reynolds missed his. His game wasn't flashy or anything if that's what you expected. But take him out and Panthers don't win.
Also those uncatchable floaty bombs. Up against Reynolds who's also a master at it. But his kicking game was a cut above.

Sime_11

Juniors
Walker's pass was the right option - Crichton took the gamble and it paid off.

He misses it and Johnston flies down the edge and Souths take the lead IMO

The_Frog

First Grade
I think Walker played well and kept Souths in it; pity for him he threw the intercept. Doesn't deserve to be tarred for that play.

He is all elbows though when he is tackling, and like a chat when he's on top; I'm sure Nathan was probably reminding him of some of the chat he had received during the game. It isn't usually Nath's bag to get involved in the talk...
It was along the lines of "Yee-Hah" I'm led to believe.

Munky

Coach
Crichton had two game saving intercepts in the finals.

The one against Parra when they were certain to score and obviously the one on Sunday.

For all of Ivan's weird positional changes over the past two years heading into the finals the Critter to wing was actually a master stroke.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Crichton had two game saving intercepts in the finals.

The one against Parra when they were certain to score and obviously the one on Sunday.

For all of Ivan's weird positional changes over the past two years heading into the finals the Critter to wing was actually a master stroke.
he was great on the wing. too many errors in fb and centre, but couldn't overplay his hand on the wing.

Meth

Staff member
Cleary definitely isn't a bad choice for the Clive Churchill. I don't think there was a clear standout. Yeo, To'o or even Murray could have also been worthy winners.

It definitely wasn't. The short pass was on. regulation 2 on 1 overlap.
But obviously hindsight

I agree with you. The cut out was not the right option, just going through the hands to Gagai was what he should have done. This screenshot shows it clearly -

1633395214740.png

Though you are correct, it is easy to see in hindsight.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I agree with you. The cut out was not the right option, just going through the hands to Gagai was what he should have done. This screenshot shows it clearly -

View attachment 54739

THat just shows that the centre could have slid over to cover Gagai. He was trying to break things open and just overplayed his hand.

Munky

Coach
THat just shows that the centre could have slid over to cover Gagai. He was trying to break things open and just overplayed his hand.

Yep, Gagai and AJ no longer have the explosive burst to guarantee the overlap would be a try or even a line break.

Kikau showed on the other side the cover defence could get there.

If it was JAC/Olam then it'd be a worry since their power and speed combo has shredded teams from that position all year.

Burton also runs onto passes at full speed with a great line and you'll get to enjoy watching it next season.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Walker is a grubby POS. Giving shit to grubs is fine. They give it so they can cop it too. In our previous win over Souths Walker was working Cleary over on the ground and grinding his elbow in his face.

Just as it's fine for opponents to get stuck into Luai. Do grubby shit and you need to expect it to be thrown in your face when you screw up. Which everyone does eventually.
So be it, but if Nathan Cleary wants to lower himself to that level - guess that's his call. I wouldn't be.

Iamback

Coach
That's funny; that is word for word what I said....

Of course, we have been told all year that our players can't be cocky until they have won something; so does a premiership, the CCM and three SoO series qualify?

The haters won't care. They will still bang on about some garbage

Exsilium

First Grade

View attachment 54739

Cody could have also backed himself.

Momo was committed to slide. Slower man on the inside.

This is what game pressure does to you. When you think it’s on, it’s because you want it to be on.

You’ll see from the earlier shots, Walker was committed to the long ball as soon as he got it. He was looking to his outside man and not playing, and I hate to use this term, “heads up footy”.

So many options but he took the low percentage one.

Munky

Coach
Courtesy of Snickers007 in the Panthers forum in regard to Yeo.

Yeo was epic all Finals series.

Averages
Mins - 79:15
Running Metres - 145
Post Contact Metres - 44.75
Tackles - 40.75
Missed Tackles - 1
Errors - 0
Penalties - 0.25

Incredible.

Not a bad effort. Four missed tackles in tackles in four games, three of those games were against the best two attacking teams in the comp.

No errors and a lone penalty.

Truly the king of locks.

The_Frog

First Grade
Truly the king of locks.
Even a season ago, this description would have brought derision around here. With Murray, J Trebojevic, Taumalolo and Radley out there, it was a hot field. But Yeo has surpassed them all this year and would be a certainty for Australia if Australia were playing a match. Murray would be a certainty too, but on the bench.