What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

The_Frog

First Grade
For what?
From his Wikipedia page:
Spent 6 seasons at the Eels subsequent to this.
Ma'u was an original member of Auckland's Roskill South-based "JDK", one of the many street gangs in New Zealand.[3] In 2007, after one of the gang was stabbed during an altercation, the gang gatecrashed a 21st birthday party in an alcohol-fuelled quest for vengeance, found the alleged perpetrators and "unleashed hell".[3] Two months later, Maʻu was arrested along with his brother, Semisi, and later sentenced to three years in prison for his part in the brawl.

yobbo84

First Grade

One snippet:

Panthers has subsequently notified May he is stood down from all club-related duties and appearances until further notice.

The matter will be considered further at the upcoming meeting of the Panthers Board of Directors.

Code for he may get sacked.
Ahh, yes. The perfect player to virtue signal over. Well known enough to make a belated example out of, but not good enough to sweep it under the carpet.

(Every club does this, not singling out the Panthers)

ACTPanthers

Bench
Dear god if we sack May this year will be nearly perfect for Panthers fans.

Well most of us. Somehow he has a few defending him
Only because he's in Panthers colours. If he played for any other team they'd have the same opinion of him as the rest of us.

The_Frog

First Grade
Dear god if we sack May this year will be nearly perfect for Panthers fans.

Well most of us. Somehow he has a few defending him
They have renewed him multiple times since his court matter was concluded. So they'd be sacking him for that post on Grand Final night and nothing else. No names mentioned. No-one being condemned to hell. Seems not a lot to dismiss someone over to me. Has he ever been specifically warned about posting on social media? Even Israel Folou had to do it twice.

The club does not have to renew him beyond next season and I'd suggest this might be the better option than just throwing him under the bus. Put him in reserve grade even. He will have a premiership winning coach batting for him which might count in his favour.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

One snippet:

Panthers has subsequently notified May he is stood down from all club-related duties and appearances until further notice.

The matter will be considered further at the upcoming meeting of the Panthers Board of Directors.

Code for he may get sacked.

off contract. Can't sack him can not re-sign but that is different and won't need board meeting

The_Frog

First Grade
off contract. Can't sack him can not re-sign but that is different and won't need board meeting
Are you saying he hasn't yet signed past 31 October this year? If so they can just say goodbye, if that is what the club wants to do (perhaps where the board meeting comes in). Someone will pick him up on near-minimum money.

All the more stupid to be posting on social media if that's the case.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Are you saying he hasn't yet signed past 31 October this year? If so they can just say goodbye, if that is what the club wants to do (perhaps where the board meeting comes in). Someone will pick him up on near-minimum money.

All the more stupid to be posting on social media if that's the case.

He agreed to terms but technically still un-signed so yes no need for the board to sack.

Ivan did a radio interview through the week worded it as a mis-understood post. So maybe they want to confirm it as that and hopefully ban him from social media

Blues Riff

Bench
Only because he's in Panthers colours. If he played for any other team they'd have the same opinion of him as the rest of us.
I wanted him gone since day one. I didn't order a Premiers T-shirt for the sole reason that I don't want to wear his image.
However, this latest witch-hunt has been a massive over-reaction. Condemned by the Twitter flogs over the interpretation of some fkn Drake lyrics FFS.

I wanted him gone since day one. I didn't order a Premiers T-shirt for the sole reason that I don't want to wear his image.
However, this latest witch-hunt has been a massive over-reaction. Condemned by the Twitter flogs over the interpretation of some fkn Drake lyrics FFS.
Exactly my thoughts.

Iamback

Coach

That is what twitter does.

Bazal

Post Whore
Panthers didn't dismantle it either.

View attachment 55170

But since this isn't Panthers bashing i doubt this story gets much attention on social media unlike the others which seem to be constantly reposted every 12 hours or so. Also being behind a paywall wouldn't help

It was a reference to the fella who suggested it was all ok and not an issue cos the players pulled it apart with a spanner, lad.

Anyway, it clearly wasn't even the players. Which is why they've been sanctioned for it.

Bazal

Post Whore
From his Wikipedia page:
Spent 6 seasons at the Eels subsequent to this.
Ma'u was an original member of Auckland's Roskill South-based "JDK", one of the many street gangs in New Zealand.[3] In 2007, after one of the gang was stabbed during an altercation, the gang gatecrashed a 21st birthday party in an alcohol-fuelled quest for vengeance, found the alleged perpetrators and "unleashed hell".[3] Two months later, Maʻu was arrested along with his brother, Semisi, and later sentenced to three years in prison for his part in the brawl.

Congratulations for the dumbest series of posts of 2021 so far.

Yes, an NRL club should sack a man for a crime committed seven years prior to his signing with them.

A fair effort from a man who uses the word surfeit on a rugby league forum.

Latest posts