What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

Someone

Bench
This is the problem you have when teams don't play each other twice.

It really is an unfair comp IMO. Something needs to be sorted out.

Either expand the season to 30 games or consider expansion of more teams and using conferences.

It really is an unfair comp IMO. Something needs to be sorted out.

Either expand the season to 30 games or consider expansion of more teams and using conferences.

30 games ?! Have you lost your mind? It's a massive season as is.

The only point where I could see it being close to perfectly fair is when there are 22-26 teams and every team plays each other once.

Even then though people will complain about who they play home & away.

redvscotty

First Grade
Tis a good feeling isn't it.

It is, but the Storm are hated for being salary cap rorting merkins.

Other teams are hated because they are generally good or just haven't been busted yet.

I like the Panthers, mainly because I want Segeyaro at my club.

Apey

Staff member
Lol this argument comes out every year when a team is going much better than expected.

But on topic I don't understand how they lucked out in only playing the 3 best teams in the competition once. That's very fortunate.

They don't even have to play the best team aka the mighty Panthers at all! Rigged.

Someone

Bench
30 games ?! Have you lost your mind? It's a massive season as is.

The only point where I could see it being close to perfectly fair is when there are 22-26 teams and every team plays each other once.

Even then though people will complain about who they play home & away.

Teams play 24 games as is, 28 including all finals games. It would be an extra month and a half of footy so i can see your point. But you cant Deny that the competition is unfair in the fact some teams have easier draws regardless of hindsight.

Maybe one option would be to shorten the competition to 15 rounds (vs each team once)/(17 rounds once 2 more teams come in) and have stand alone Origin weekends etc. I actually really like that option as a future resolution, once the comp has 18 plus teams the draw is going to be impossible to please anyone. You could also expand the Nines or maybe do something like a champions league with top 4 AUS vs top 4 ENG to fill in some of the extra weeks. Would be a long campaign for the successful teams but that would be the price you pay for being successful.

Than again, it could stay the same and i wouldnt mind at all.

mxlegend99

Referee
I like the Panthers, mainly because I want Segeyaro at my club.
Too bad. He's staying put. ;-)

Absolutely loving the recruitment for the Panthers the past two seasons. Segeyaro, Whare, Soward, Wallace, Peachey, Idris, Korisau, Manu, Taylor, Brown, Masoe, Latimore etc. have been a class above the signings we used to make and have helped turn us into a strong club with great depth.

I think missing out on Carney and Thurston has been for the best. Soward and Wallace have been capable alternatives, much cheaper and will play more games then either of those would likely have played for us. Better value IMO... we couldn't be sitting any better on the ladder then we do now

RockWheel

Bench
Who cares about a team having an easy draw? They won't be able to avoid the top teams come finals time; that's where they'll be shown up or prove themselves a good team.

Someone

Bench
Who cares about a team having an easy draw? They won't be able to avoid the top teams come finals time; that's where they'll be shown up or prove themselves a good team.

That is the difference though, making the finals. The difference between 10th and 7th is so f**king small...Everyone should have an equal opportunity to make the 8.

Red Bear

Referee
Having halves that are good enough to be quality at club level but not good enough for origin is perfect at this time of year.

But you make your own luck, a draw is one thing, still have to win the games to make the finals.

Some would also argue a tougher draw will toughen a side up better for the business end of the season.

Timing of injuries has far more of a say than the draw IMO. Cronulla and Newcastle were both stuffed before they got going this year with injuries.

RockWheel

Bench
That is the difference though, making the finals. The difference between 10th and 7th is so f**king small...Everyone should have an equal opportunity to make the 8.

Yeah, maybe. On the other hand if a team misses out on the finals because of the draw, they probably weren't going to win anyway. History shows you need to finish top 4 to win a premiership (only twice has the grand final been won by a team outside the top 4). 24 games, albeit with an uneven draw, is enough for the best teams to generally rise to the top.

Someone

Bench
Yeah, maybe. On the other hand if a team misses out on the finals because of the draw, they probably weren't going to win anyway. History shows you need to finish top 4 to win a premiership (only twice has the grand final been won by a team outside the top 4). 24 games, albeit with an uneven draw, is enough for the best teams to generally rise to the top.

Agreed it isnt a MAJOR issue and probably rarely if ever affects the end result of the season, but it bugs me the draw is basically a dogs breakfast.

roofromoz

First Grade
Looking back to 2010, we managed to get to second at this stage of the season, and somehow managed to stay there. However, in the last 2 or so months, we couldn't beat teams in the top 8, but easily accounted for teams in the bottom 8. History says that we were bundled out in straight sets, most probably on not being able to beat these ranked teams in the lead up.

Yes, there is a marked difference in terms of the coaching - but it still sticks in my mind as a Panthers fan. Basically we need to maintain the rage.

Given the congested nature of the ladder, anything can happen - but if we can maintain a spot in the 8 going into the last few rounds... there is the Storm (at Penrith) and Manly at Brooky to play in Rounds 24 and 25, and the Warriors at Penrith in the last round. Manly are locks at this stage - Melbourne and the Warriors may very well be in the 8 or fighting for a spot. That will be a good litmus test.

Last edited:

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
The ridiculousness of the draw is the fact that, after round 13, they have already played Newcastle, Canberra, Parra and the Gold Coast all twice. And then they don't play Manly until round 25.

The draw needs to change so that, by round 17, every team has played each other once, plus had their 2 byes. THEN the repeat rounds start. Either that, or you play 9 rounds, then have ALL of them double up (every team plays 9 teams twice) and then play the other teams you haven't already played.

It's just stupid playing teams 4 rounds apart, and then not playing others until the final round, like the Dragons and Newcastle.

innsaneink

Referee
They play the Dragons, Titans, Sharks, Raiders and Knights - aka the 'Fab Five' - twice each.

And they only play the Roosters, Rabbits and Manly once. And also the Cowboys and Broncos once (both at home).

Who did their season draw, Phil Gould?

Look, they're a solid team who are well and truly on the up. But that's borderline match fixing!

They're the Gold Coast Suns of the NRL.

2003 was a looonnnng time ago

Mr Spock!

Referee
It's a shame the Rabbits don't get to play Penrith again.

An easy 2 points for us like the first game.

They had nothing.

In cricket terms - flat track bullies.