What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

maple_69

Bench
Normally at this stage of the season the top side has cracked 22-24 points. That's means a win loss of 10/2 or 11/1 which is probably why people look at Penrith and not rate them compared to previous front runners. Fact of the matter is Penrith are playing well but no one else has got there shit together so rather than humming along having a good season in 4th or so, Penrith have found themselves on top and Rabbitohs fans who have had their first fleeting experience of success have chosen to lash out at Penrith because they feel that this little flirtation with the finals could be coming to an end and Penrith represent the next generation of teams to pound them.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I also get the fact that Panthers fans are being defensive of their side. That's only natural.

But I don't see how I'm wrong.

My belief is that the Panthers have had an incredibly easy draw. And my point is that I don't see them coming close to having the firepower and class to compete with the likes of Souffs or Manly come finals time.

I won't call them June Premiers because the coach and players aren't making any noise. They're just going about their business as is Cleary's way.

But there's no way I see this side making any serious noise come finals time. A Prelim would be an excellent result.

Meh the NRL scheduling and draw generally suck every year, because all teams don't play each other twice some teams don't get their chance to play the "easy beats" of the year. Also props to the Panthers, even if they know they're playing crappy teams they haven't become complacent...

Yeah I'm hoping for top 8 which is pretty much a sure thing now and to win a finals game. 2015-16 we will be a team capable of winning the comp

Big Pete

Referee
Was having a similar discussion on another website.

Essentially, the NRL is never going to be a equal competition due to the fact that clubs have unequal draws. I don't think this can be changed at this time due to the logistics of either scaling it back to one game or expanding it to two, it just is what it is and the NRL isn't the only competition in the world to suffer this problem.

Now, what I do have a problem with is this trend where we're seeing where teams are having 3 or 4 repeat matches by Round 13. As a fan, I don't particularly enjoy it and would much rather see fresh match ups each week until it's time to reset and I think there is the possibility where a team can be advantaged because they can load up on wins against crap teams, building and establishing competitions while a very similar team is doing it tough. That isn't to say Penrith have done this exactly.

Another issue is Origin and how it advantages certain teams and almost rewards mediocrity or players of a different nationality. I think that's a problem and it certainly makes advertising the game harder when the 'top' teams aren't necessarily your 'best' teams. However that's a whole other can of worms.

On Penrith, while I don't think their place on the ladder is truly indicitive of where they're at as a footy team and I can't envision them as premiers this season, I think they're a good overall footy team playing to a very solid gameplan. This is really only just the beginning for them - they're going to be true premiership contenders in the coming years.

Congratulations to the Panthers.

At the end of the day you can't control who you have to play against or the timing of when you play them.

5 out of the last 6 matches are against quality opposition (Bulldogs, Cowboys, Storm, Manly, Warriors) and will them give a good indication of how they are placed heading into the finals.

I thought this thread would be just Dragons fans bagging out Penrith because of Soward but imagine my surprise when I see it's mostly the Rabbitohs fans who usually go off early after a good win in the Charity Shield and you don't hear from them after week 2 of the finals.

From what I can see it has been mainly one Souths fan.

Congratulations on mastering the art of exaggerating.

TheFrog

Coach
Normally at this stage of the season the top side has cracked 22-24 points.

NRL leaders after 13 rounds

2014: Panthers/Dogs/Manly 18
2013: Rabbitohs 22
2012: Storm 24
2011: Dragons 23
2010: Dragons* 20
2009: Dragons*, Dogs**, Titans, Broncos 18
2008: 5 teams 18
2007: Storm/Manly 22

* 0 byes ** 2 byes All others 1 bye.

Some years you get a tearaway leader or even two, other years it's more compressed at the top. Thus this year you have a team who, while never an easy opponent, were rather disjointed for the first 8 weeks leading the comp at the halfway mark. Because there is no-one else who has done better.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well that last time we led a competition this far into the season was 2003, and we weren't rated as a decent chance at winning the premiership back then either. A bit of confidence and self belief built in a winning streak can kickstart any team into being a contender.

There's nothing wrong with the squad we have. The spine is on par with the Roosters last year and outperforming them this year. We don't have a dud like Mitchell Pearce in the team holding us back either.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Another issue is Origin and how it advantages certain teams and almost rewards mediocrity or players of a different nationality. I think that's a problem and it certainly makes advertising the game harder when the 'top' teams aren't necessarily your 'best' teams. However that's a whole other .
Given how Origin is becoming more and more physical and taking a greater toll, and couple that with the NRLs refusal to play Origin on stand alone weekends, we may start to see clubs place a higher premium on Kiwis and Brits.

The Roosters, Rabbits and Bulldogs are capable of surviving the Origin period and coming out strongly on the other end because of their strong foreign contingent.

Oppositely we've seen the Broncos season destroyed on numerous occasions by Origin. The same happened to the Dragons in 2011 and the same is once again happening to the Storm.

Penrith are well placed for a top 4 berth given that they have no Origin players.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Everyone had knights and sharks top 8 at the start of the year. So enjoyable that my club is finally becoming good enough to get some hate

Spot on...

Teams need to be hated before they benefit the NRL. Im not a fan of the panthers but they COULD have some great rivalries becuase of their geography, they just havent pissed enough people off.

The Salary Cap thing was honestly the best thing that could have happened to the Storm and the Titans would really benefit from some kind of controversy...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well that last time we led a competition this far into the season was 2003, and we weren't rated as a decent chance at winning the premiership back then either. A bit of confidence and self belief built in a winning streak can kickstart any team into being a contender.

There's nothing wrong with the squad we have. The spine is on par with the Roosters last year and outperforming them this year. We don't have a dud like Mitchell Pearce in the team holding us back either.
Lol Pearce is much better than Wallace.

Also Friend is still a class above Segs.

Your spine is pretty good but I don't think it's bias to say they're not on the level of the Premiers. But our massive edge is in the forwards where we crush most teams man for man. Particularly Penrith where to a man we overwhelm you.

And in 2003 you had world class players in the spine. Wesser, Campbell, Gower and Priddis are to a man much better than your current group.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I look forward to watching Segeyaro continue his development.

He's an amazing talent.

As for Friend, I don't think it's crazy to suggest that he's been the form hooker over the past 18 months. He's one of the best players in the world atm.

Segeyaro has the potential to reach that level.

The key for Penrith going forward obviously is the halves. By the time you guys have the pieces in place to be a serious Premiership contender with the likes of DWZ, Whare, the Jennings boys, Bryce Cartwright, Taylor, Peachey, the great hooker rotation - which lets say is by the start of 2016 - I suspect Soward and Wallace's caretaker role in the halves might be up.

If Moylan can successfully transition to 5/8 and thrive, shifting Soward to halfback, then that may very well be enough when surrounded by so much talent elsewhere.

A couple of props wouldn't go astray either.

One thing is for certain, Gus has been immense for you guys. Every decision has been a winner and I'm sure he'll have a plan for the halves and at prop to ensure you guys are a serious threat for years to come.

But that's at least 1 year away, more likely two. You're more than welcome to prove me wrong! Better you guys than Souffs, Manly, Brisbane, the Dogs or Dragons.

Juju

Juniors
The scary thing is… the panthers will be even better next year.
They're gonna win soon. Cleary can coach. Gus can recruit.

BranVan3000

Coach
Spot on...

Teams need to be hated before they benefit the NRL. Im not a fan of the panthers but they COULD have some great rivalries becuase of their geography, they just havent pissed enough people off.

The Salary Cap thing was honestly the best thing that could have happened to the Storm and the Titans would really benefit from some kind of controversy...

It is an interesting argument. The salary cap and some years of success against a specific opponent like Manly have given Melbourne a genuine personality, love them or hate them.

Certain teams definitely lack any of sort of definable personality. Titans are the worst but are pretty young still

maple_69

Bench
I think you've nailed it Tommy. Most Penrith fans are hopeful we will exceed expectations this year and go deep into the finals but more than likely it starts next year.
I think our team structure will be a little bit different to your normal successful teams with Segeyaro, Peachey, Moylan and our centres being just as important as the halves. From 2016 we likely go to a more traditional structure with DWZ, Moylan, Soward/Scarlett, Segeyaro/Api, Peachey in the spine.

RWB

Bench
Panthers got a pretty hard run home after their second bye in two weeks.

It includes;

Warriors (A)
Tigers (A)
Roosters (A)
Bulldogs (A)
Storm (H)
Sea Eagles (A)

These will be the real tests for them, to see where they are as a team. The draw does start to even up somewhat eventually.

But yes I think it's fair to question the legitimacy of their position on the table as we speak, just like it was fair of those who questioned the Titans position on the table a month or so ago. I can't say I've been overly impressed with the Panthers in all honesty.

A well balanced team with very, very good depth but a lack of class in key positions & an average forward pack for mine leave a lot of questions. Time will tell.

Latest posts