What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

The Teach

Juniors
The thing with our draw is that yes, it's been a bit easier compared to others, but people forget that this is a squad that has been gradually developing. With that development, it means that we will take time to form combinations as well, so hopefully we can keep the core of the team injury-free and with a few more weeks of consolidating those combinations, we will have confidence going into those games against more highly-fancied teams. I think history might suggest that teams who keep their spine fit and healthy generally do well come finals time.

Puntastic

Juniors
It is only because of a favourable draw that Penrith is first in the NSW Cup too :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

And last year's favorable draw let our 20's win the comp... :lol:

I think Maple and Frog have pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why we aren't rated re: competition points.

I also think RWB is spot on: in particular the Roosters, Storm, Bulldogs and Sea Eagles games will be a real test (3/4 away). It's a bit hard to make any inferences until then. I am honestly quite nervous about those games, but it doesn't mean I'll criticise the side without cause. They've done well so far.

GongPanther

Referee
At this point in time (9th June and including Brisbane's win V C/berra) if everyone has a look at the draw.

Now,don't take any notice of how many games have been played or how many competition points each team has.

But note that there are six teams,yes SIX teams that have won EIGHT games.

Now Tommy,you have a bit of work to do in figuring out each teams draw whether it favors them or not.

Yes,I realise that there are teams that have played more games.But if you take this as a snapshot in wins only,you find that there is not much between 1st and 10th.

On another note,after the SOO series is finished and eventually out of the way,you watch the comp REALLY hot up with the likes of the Roosters,the Souths and the Dogs get the bit between their teeth on the home stretch.

The Panthers with their limited experience in playing big time games together will have them flounder in a couple of games before the semis,thats to be expected with such a youthful side.

But against some sides,we will be putting up a fair fight,and also counting on the better class sides to belt the stuffing out of each other,I still give ourselves a fair chance of staying in the top 4.

Of course,unforeseen circumstances such as injuries and suspension can undo everything we have worked hard for.

But I doubt that will happen.

Even for this year,Ivan Cleary,Sir Phil Gould,and the rest of the team individually have come a long way in their own personal lives and they won't be giving up the hope to a Grand Final for this year.

And if we don't,enjoy the ride as it will put us in good stead for years to come.

But all I've explained here will probably fall on deaf ears...lets face it,it's only the Panther supporters that hear the call.

Mr Spock!

Referee
OOooh sour grapes?

Your Rabbitohs led the comp this time last year. How many posts can you find from Panthers supporters begrudging you that position at that time? So what is your problem?

The Rabbitohs would have led this year too, but they've lost five games, while three other teams have lost fewer games than that.

I don't begrudge your position. I'm sick of seeing StormvManlyvRoosters GFs. It'd be good to have someone to cheer for come GF time.

The big 4 from last year have been hit by injuries allowing the others to catch up.

We saw what happens when some of these 'improvers' like the Eels hit the Roosters at full strength.

It was a bloodbath.

The competition is weaker this year.

I don't begrudge your position. I'm sick of seeing StormvManlyvRoosters GFs. It'd be good to have someone to cheer for come GF time.

The big 4 from last year have been hit by injuries allowing the others to catch up.

We saw what happens when some of these 'improvers' like the Eels hit the Roosters at full strength

It was a bloodbath.

The competition is weaker this year.

Who was missing from the Roosters round 6 side that was beaten by the Eels? Looks pretty close to full strength to me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the NRL about to be running the Knights I await the call of bias when the knights fixtures are released next season or the first time a knights player gets off a charge.

franklin2323

Immortal
The thing with our draw is that yes, it's been a bit easier compared to others, but people forget that this is a squad that has been gradually developing. With that development, it means that we will take time to form combinations as well, so hopefully we can keep the core of the team injury-free and with a few more weeks of consolidating those combinations, we will have confidence going into those games against more highly-fancied teams. I think history might suggest that teams who keep their spine fit and healthy generally do well come finals time.

See it wasn't that easy until things started to unfold.

In the 1st 10 rounds we played

Newcastle x 2, Souths Both Prelim Finalists last year
Bulldogs, Storm, Sharks all finalist

So 6/10 looked hard. As it turns out Newcastle and Sharks are rubbish but that wasn't known at the time the draw came out

The butthurt is epic though

firechild

First Grade
Anyone whining about who has played easier/harder teams right now is simply preparing their excuses for fear that they might finish 9th.

Penrith have played well against the teams in front of them. Manly, Canterbury, Souffs and the Roosters have all had some shockers so far this year so why worry that Penrith has also been beaten well on a couple of occasions? Best thing they can do is play what's in front of them and let the chips fall where they may.

Valheru

Coach
So they play all 4 prelim finalists from the previous year only once? This is what happens when the NRL goes with the “who do you want to play” system to increase crowds.

If you aren’t going to play every one twice it is not hard to create some type of seeding system where every team has a draw with a similar theoretical difficulty. There will still be easier draws due to performance changing from one season to the next but it won’t be as bad.

betcats

Referee
So they play all 4 prelim finalists from the previous year only once? This is what happens when the NRL goes with the “who do you want to play” system to increase crowds.

If you aren’t going to play every one twice it is not hard to create some type of seeding system where every team has a draw with a similar theoretical difficulty. There will still be easier draws due to performance changing from one season to the next but it won’t be as bad.

We have played the knights twice already. Anyway I could give a f**k whether we have an easier draw or not, we are still 1st.

Rorters fans whinging about the league being unfair is funny.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
So they play all 4 prelim finalists from the previous year only once? This is what happens when the NRL goes with the ?who do you want to play? system to increase crowds.

So Playing evey non Sydney team at home (2nd year straight) and not playing our biggest drawing team of the last 2 years (Tigers) at home is by choice?

Melb is the top 4 team we are pooled with. Round 2 and Round 21 so they should be full strength by then.

Top 8 teams from last year we play twice are Bulldogs, Newcastle and Sharks. We can hardly be held responsible for Sharks and Newcastle being terrible this year.

Away trips to Leichhardt, Brookvale and ANZ to come all places we have struggled at recently. So not the easiest nor the hardest draw

TheFrog

Coach
If you aren?t going to play every one twice it is not hard to create some type of seeding system where every team has a draw with a similar theoretical difficulty. There will still be easier draws due to performance changing from one season to the next but it won?t be as bad.

Isn't that exactly what happens now?

The Roosters at present are getting a saloon passage ride to the upper reaches of the table, courtesy of teams depleted by Origin, and teams with horrendous injury tolls. Just like performances from one season to next, these things are impossible to predict at the start of the season. Nonetheless, it certainly seems churlish for Rooster supporters to come on here and suggest the Panthers are getting some sort of free leg up.

Last edited:

BCH

Juniors
Roosters draw this year is pretty easy going by the same standards you have set for the Panthers draw being easy.

Bulldogs without their halves. Roosters getting to keep their halves. Turning a guaranteed loss into a guaranteed win.

Today they face the Storm without Slater and Cronk, which is another gift two points.

3 of their other wins have been against the Dragons, Sharks and Raiders. Which according to you are all easy wins and gifted points.

So after todays win, the Roosters will have had 5 gifted wins out of their 8 wins. Their draw sees them get to play the Knights, Eels, Sharks and Dragons twice, which is pretty easy. The also only have to play the Broncos, Cowboys and the competition leading Panthers the once.

Deadset any club can have the same arguments made.

Roosters beat Bulldogs last year during SOO last year without halves & others. Nothing is guaranteed....Roosters also have this year have played Souths, Bulldogs (twice), Manly, Cowboys (A) & Eels twice, so hardly a gifted draw. As a few have said an argument could be manipulated in any number of ways. Usually though, an easier draw does become apparent as the season wears on & you can only beat whose in front of you. Penrith's test will come later in the season but if they keep winning they'll get great confidence and belief from that.

Last edited:
Roosters beat Bulldogs last year during SOO last year without halves & others. Nothing is guaranteed....Roosters also have this year have played Souths, Bulldogs (twice), Manly, Cowboys (A) & Eels twice, so hardly a gifted draw. As a few have said an argument could be manipulated in any number of ways. Usually though, an easier draw does become apparent as the season wears on & you can only beat whose in front of you. Penrith's test will come later in the season but if they keep winning they'll get great confidence and belief from that.

Could have easily happened again given that Lozza virtually guaranteed Pearce the NSW 7 jumper before season kickoff. And with that in mind, at the beginning of the season most pundits would have expected a lot of Roosters representing their state, yet we were given no byes during the Origin period.

I don't buy into conspiracies, I'm more a believer of NRL ineptitude.

Valheru

Coach
We have played the knights twice already. Anyway I could give a f**k whether we have an easier draw or not, we are still 1st.
Rorters fans whinging about the league being unfair is funny.

So Playing evey non Sydney team at home (2nd year straight) and not playing our biggest drawing team of the last 2 years (Tigers) at home is by choice?
Melb is the top 4 team we are pooled with. Round 2 and Round 21 so they should be full strength by then.
Top 8 teams from last year we play twice are Bulldogs, Newcastle and Sharks. We can hardly be held responsible for Sharks and Newcastle being terrible this year.
Away trips to Leichhardt, Brookvale and ANZ to come all places we have struggled at recently. So not the easiest nor the hardest draw

Isn't that exactly what happens now?
The Roosters at present are getting a saloon passage ride to the upper reaches of the table, courtesy of teams depleted by Origin, and teams with horrendous injury tolls. Just like performances from one season to next, these things are impossible to predict at the start of the season. Nonetheless, it certainly seems churlish for Rooster supporters to come on here and suggest the Panthers are getting some sort of free leg up.

Comprehension skills are obviously lacking in Penrith. I?m not whinging about the league being unfair and I?m not specifically complaining about the Panthers draw. All I am saying is that there is a better way than the current method. Do you guys disagree with that? I couldn?t care less if Panthers are the ones benefiting most, good luck to them.

TheFrog

Coach
Comprehension skills are obviously lacking in Penrith. I?m not whinging about the league being unfair and I?m not specifically complaining about the Panthers draw. All I am saying is that there is a better way than the current method. Do you guys disagree with that? I couldn?t care less if Panthers are the ones benefiting most, good luck to them.

A better and workable (in the view of the NRL and its partners) solution that involves 16 teams and a competition proper lasting not more than 6 months has yet to be found. You've suggested a system that exists already, ie that seeding occurs in accordance with last year's finishing positions in the competition proper. If you can come up with something that allows for not only injuries, but results of football games yet to be played, by all means share it.

Latest posts