What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

Tommy Smith

Referee
anyone who had the Sharks in their top 8 needs re-think which sport they follow

I posted on another thread how fortunate they've been with the draw, I got nothing against Penrith or their fans, I just think to be boasting about being top of the ladder when you've beaten the Titans, Raiders & Knights twice is a bit extreme

given they've won 8 games, 6 of them have been against bottom 4 contenders, they beat the Eels without Hayne which is basically a free win, their other win was against the Bulldogs which may sound impressive but given it happened in Round 3 before they hit their straps it's nothing to be writing home about
And this is my point...that they are false leaders. They're not even close to Souffs or Manly.

And clearly the borderline match fixing comment wasn't serious. There's a lot of Panthers fans with sand in their vagina in this thread. I'm a Roosters fans so why would I be envious? Lol

I just think you guys have had the most insane draw so far this year, which continues next week vs the Dragons.

But again, Penrith are a good side on the up but you'll go out the back door quickly in the finals.

So yeah, big time pretenders in 2014. And I'm sure you're all honoured some of us think that!

eozsmiles

Bench
Someone always gets a "good" draw but nobody really knows who it will be until the season is rolling. The Knights were meant to be strong this year, nobody knew the big three would all get injured on the same day, etc etc etc.

We should be talking about how unlucky the teams that drew Penrith twice this year are.

eozsmiles

Bench
Knights were tipped to be a top 8 side, many even tipping them for the top 4. After the way they finished off the 2013 competition, not many teams would have wanted to face them in Round 1.
Titans were leading the competition when we first faced them aswell. They were in very good form, and neither time we have faced them has it been a depleted shitty side that was an easy win.

It should have been obvious that the Raiders would be shit having played under Ricky Stuart, but even then the Raiders have generally been one of the teams Panthers struggle against. Ricky Stuart has just turned them to be shitty enough it doesn't matter.

I suppose at the end of the season, we should go and remove all the wins against teams outside of the top 8. It couldn't possibly be those teams having to face the Panthers twice that has them looking worse either... you throw two wins on each of those teams that we played twice and suddenly they don't look anywhere near as shit.

Titans would be equal first had they won both games against Panthers.
Raiders would be equal 11th with Warriors, Dragons and Cowboys.
Knights would be on 10 points and still sitting bottom 4.
Eels would be sitting on 18 points and equal first had they beaten us in the second encounter.

I think most teams are happy to play the Knights at home when Mullen is out. History shows the Knights suck in those situations. Boyd and Gidley getting hurt in the same game didn't help the knights much either. Maybe a little bit, but not much.

This is the problem you have when teams don't play each other twice.

Exactly. Some teams are going to win, others are going to lose out of it.

And even at the start of the year, you can't say any team has a good or bad draw - who would have picked the Knights and Sharks to be in the bottom 4?

TheFrog

Coach
Yep, the Panthers are lucky with the draw this season. They were last season too. But the draw is made based on finishing positions from last year and is an agreed-to system, but clubs playing strength varies from year to year. We could always go to a season of 30 rounds plus four weeks of finals, but I'd prefer play each other once (15 rounds) and have a second competition (preceding the main competition) of 8 rounds or so plus a knockout finals series.

TheFrog

Coach
They play the Dragons, Titans, Sharks, Raiders and Knights - aka the 'Fab Five' - twice each.
The Titans are actually 6/6 (wins/losses). Two of those losses were to Penrith, so they are 6/4 if you take Penrith out. I'd suggest, despite their capitulation last night, that they are still well in the running for the finals. The Raiders are a better side than their position suggests as well, particularly at home.

But that's borderline match fixing!
Ah, nothing like a bit of frothing at the mouth hysteria on a Sunday morning. I thought such allegations got you a post deletion around here.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I CLEARLY wasn't being serious.

I thought it was obvious.

But on topic I don't understand how they lucked out in only playing the 3 best teams in the competition once. That's very fortunate.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
Look at the Roosters draw last year and you'll find it was very similar in their favour, so i woildnt be complaining

Tommy Smith

Referee
No, no it wasn't.

I've backed up my claim with facts. Penrith have had a soft draw.

Now try and do the same.

But considering we played Souffs twice, Manly twice, the Bulldogs twice, Sharks twice (that's 4/5 other top 6 teams) and also played the Cowboys, Warriors and Knights away, it becomes clear that you are full of shit.

Packy

Bench
Who cares... you still have to turn up or you'll lose.

If they are the real deal they'll beat the big guns in september too.

Blues Riff

Bench
Lets give our points to the real contenders Manly/Bunnies/Storm/Roosters. We can then just hover around the bottom of the eight and feel grateful for the occasional pat on the head for trying hard.

GongPanther

Referee
Any argument can be twisted.

I could say the Panthers beat a side who were one off the GF 6 months earlier (Knights) almost beat Melbourne in Melbourne, toppled the Dogs and Titans x2 who have/had been in top spot and won in Canberra.

Are the Panthers the best side in the comp? Course they aren't. But they have a decent side under a very, very good coach and they're a chance at the top four if they're good enough.

I can't remember looking at a side in the eight at season's end and thinking gee they played shit footy, lucky the draw kissed them on the c**k.

It's easier to research a draw after half of the season is over.

And besides,even if the draw favours a particular side?.Every team gets a favourable draw in time.It's just a matter of waiting for that particular season when it does.

Which club had the most favourable draw last season?

And the season before that?

mxlegend99

Referee
No, no it wasn't.

I've backed up my claim with facts. Penrith have had a soft draw.

Now try and do the same.

But considering we played Souffs twice, Manly twice, the Bulldogs twice, Sharks twice (that's 4/5 other top 6 teams) and also played the Cowboys, Warriors and Knights away, it becomes clear that you are full of shit.
Roosters draw this year is pretty easy going by the same standards you have set for the Panthers draw being easy.

Bulldogs without their halves. Roosters getting to keep their halves. Turning a guaranteed loss into a guaranteed win.

Today they face the Storm without Slater and Cronk, which is another gift two points.

3 of their other wins have been against the Dragons, Sharks and Raiders. Which according to you are all easy wins and gifted points.

So after todays win, the Roosters will have had 5 gifted wins out of their 8 wins. Their draw sees them get to play the Knights, Eels, Sharks and Dragons twice, which is pretty easy. The also only have to play the Broncos, Cowboys and the competition leading Panthers the once.

Deadset any club can have the same arguments made.

Blackkat

Juniors

Sooooo...the Roosters play the Panthers 1 time (at home) this regular season and have 2 home games to finish the season. You should feel lucky :lol:

TheFrog

Coach
But on topic I don't understand how they lucked out in only playing the 3 best teams in the competition once. That's very fortunate.

Well one of those teams is us, so we double lucked it there. We don't have to play ourselves at all.

Honestly mate, you've identified what you consider to be an inequity, but have not made a single sensible (or otherwise) suggestion about what could be done about it.

And while we're at it, a suggestion on how to stop the same club buying all the big name players that become available would be of use too.

Nugget10

Juniors
Lol @ trying to troll Penrith fans. We have to be one of the most pessimistic set of fans in the NRL. Most of us have seen too many false dawns in the past. We're not getting ahead of ourselves. It's nice to be on top but we're not gunna be dickheads about it

Blackkat

Juniors
Exactly Nugget. We look at the draw each year to determine our weekends, not who will be easy beats!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's easier to research a draw after half of the season is over.

And besides,even if the draw favours a particular side?.Every team gets a favourable draw in time.It's just a matter of waiting for that particular season when it does.

Which club had the most favourable draw last season?

And the season before that?

Unsure, but the Roosters deserved to win last year, the Storm the year before, the Sea Eagles the year before that and so forth.

So whatever.