What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Bests, Completed Goals, Milestones and General Achievement Thread

abpanther

Staff member
Started the 5 X 5 6 weeks ago and am starting to hit some highs now ( I think) I havent lifted for 2 years so bear with me.

Squat: Started at 70kg, now 112.5 kg
Bench Press: 50kg------> 85kg (Did one set at 87.5)
Overhead Press: 22.5kg-------->57.5kg
Barbell Row: 50kg----------->77.5kg
Deadlift: The program started me at 40kg primarily because I have never done them but did 1 set at 120kg.

The starting weights weren't too hard but I'm at the stage now where I'm struggling. So anyway, I'm half way through the 12 weeks and hope I can impress with some bigger numbers by the end.

That's awesome. Hey man with overhead press, are you doing it standing or sitting?

abpanther

Staff member
Ok I tried overhead press standing today, definitely feel my lower back arching but I guess that's all part of the core strengthening?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I only do my OHP with dumbells unless I do squats into OHP then I use a barbell, never felt pain in my lower back.

New pull up PB today, well technically heaves, I can't help but go back down into a dead hang because I'm afraid I won't go down again otherwise.

Snoochies

First Grade
That's awesome. Hey man with overhead press, are you doing it standing or sitting?

I do them standing. We were lucky enough to get a power rack here at work at Christmas so it's worked out well for me. I do know that I won't be getting all the presses out. :(

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's a great achievement mate, well done.

I'm trying to get back into running too, just struggling to find time.

Just wondering, how do you juggle the running with weights training? I always worry that if I run too close to a workout (before or after) it will affect my recovery.

Balancing weights and running is hard... TBH lifting has kind of taken a temporary back seat at the moment due to a number of factors, I've been trying to lose weight and lifting heavy on a caloric deficit sucks whereas I seem to be able to handle running better, plus my work schedule has been all over the place. Luckily my job involves a lot of heavy lifting anyway! Planning on crackingh bavk into the weights harder once I make my goal weight though.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
120kg behind the neck jerk @ 85kg body weight. It was easy. I just visualised Anthony Minichiello's stupid f**king face grinning as he scored the match winner with 2 seconds left. It should provide motivation for some strong lifts for roughly the next 40 years.

goosie

Juniors
i am 60kg and bench 80kg when i was doing weights for a few months. i am just doing weights to strengthen the muscles i got now for boxing.
Don't wanna put any weight on. so more reps lighter weight.

Last edited:

Snoochies

First Grade
So have completed 12 weeks but during that time had 2 weeks off for personal reasons but my stats as they stand now are in red below.

Started the 5 X 5 6 weeks ago and am starting to hit some highs now ( I think) I havent lifted for 2 years so bear with me.

Squat: Started at 70kg, now 112.5 kg ------> 140kg
Bench Press: 50kg------> 85kg (Did one set at 87.5) ----------> 90kg
Overhead Press: 22.5kg-------->57.5kg ----------> 62.5kg
Barbell Row: 50kg----------->77.5kg ----------87.5kg
Deadlift: The program started me at 40kg primarily because I have never done them but did 1 set at 120kg. -----------> 145kg

The starting weights weren't too hard but I'm at the stage now where I'm struggling. So anyway, I'm half way through the 12 weeks and hope I can impress with some bigger numbers by the end.

I feel on everything I can keep increasing the weight but the overhead press is pretty stagnant and have had to drop a couple of times. Either way, keep on going cos it's definitely working.

I haven't really lost any weight as such but my pants are baggier and have noticed more definition.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
In the previous 4 weeks i've managed to drop 4kg, my metabolic age down 3 years and smashed out a 1 min 21sec 500m last night compared to 1.38 i started with.

Coming back from a serious heart failure that didn't kill me for some reason and most should of sat me on my ass from training for 3 months and only just getting back in the swing of things. Am a big boy but 122kg for me was outrageous and am sitting on 118.1kg atm with a few more to go (still managed to have 92kg of muscle according the machine i got tested with when i weighed in at 120kg).

Last serious illness i had back when i was in uni i crawled my way back into the gym and started fromt eh very beginning again with walking, then fast oaced, then slight jog, then 400m - 800m etc. Got told i'd never be 100% again then i saw the personel best times up on the board in front of the rowing machines and decided i was going to break the 2000m record. Never touched a rowing machine before but 6 very long and painful weeks later after dropping off 8kg that i gained in hospital i knocked 5 seconds off the gym record and fell off the thing with my feet still strapped in. Pretty sure there is still a picture of me ont he wall with the machine above my head after i clean and jerked it with tears on my face (after i vomited outside lol). Was never suppose to be able to do it

Cliffhanger

Coach
I had to give up on that year without candy thing, I developed amenorrhoea and had to get my body fat back up and as I don't eat things like pasta or potatoes. My options were limited. People keep telling me I look skinnier though, so I am guessing it's not bad and my abs are still clearly visible and I'm training harder than ever.

Anyway disappointed that I couldn't finish a year of 100 per cent strict eating. But it's better than getting osteoporosis.

dogslife

Coach
Giving up on all those foods is overrated anyway imo. I eat pretty healthy most of the time, have the occasional blowout, drink to excess at least once a week and my BF% has hovered around the 14-15% mark for a couple of years now. I got it down to about 7% at one stage a few years ago, but my diet consisted of about 5 things and I was miserable, so gave it up pretty quick. I wouldn't be too disappointed Cliff, from your latest pics you're definitely fitter than most girls out there

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah, it's true, when I was at my fittest and at my lowest bf percentage, I would have gelato on a daily basis. Moderation is good.

beave

Coach
I dont like bragging, but f**k it!!!

Was 100kgs 3 months ago almost to the day, decided to change my life and start giving a shit, weighed myself this morning

1d1e6a12.jpg

20kgs done and dusted.

In the past I would have celebrated with a dirty big feed but instead I'm going for a run up Caste Hill, this hasn't been anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be, a bit of will power and smarter/better informed choices when it comes to food. The feeling I get after a decent workout Is amazing, I crave it these days and if I don't do some sort of circuits or cardio every day then I get grumpy!!! It used to be the other way around, if I didn't have junk food i would be in a foul mood. I still have the odd cheat meal and the a bit of alcohol to keep my sanity but eating less (well none) rice, potato and white flour products(i used to be a pretzel fiend, like a family pack a day/2nd day)has been far less difficult than I imagined and I wish i had done this sooner.

Will never go back to my old ways

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
I dont like bragging, but f**k it!!!

Was 100kgs 3 months ago almost to the day, decided to change my life and start giving a shit, weighed myself this morning

1d1e6a12.jpg

20kgs done and dusted.

In the past I would have celebrated with a dirty big feed but instead I'm going for a run up Caste Hill, this hasn't been anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be, a bit of will power and smarter/better informed choices when it comes to food. The feeling I get after a decent workout Is amazing, I crave it these days and if I don't do some sort of circuits or cardio every day then I get grumpy!!! It used to be the other way around, if I didn't have junk food i would be in a foul mood. I still have the odd cheat meal and the a bit of alcohol to keep my sanity but eating less (well none) rice, potato and white flour products(i used to be a pretzel fiend, like a family pack a day/2nd day)has been far less difficult than I imagined and I wish i had done this sooner.

Will never go back to my old ways

:thumb

Latest posts