What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth Bears or bust?!

I can see them being a feeder club for the Perth Bears (ie letting the current deal with the Storm expire), makes sense for keeping the costs of running NSW Cup manageable.

Plus it means that the Perth side & the Norths side of the operation need to have some degree of co-ordination - not just in logistics of bringing players between top tier & 2nd tier, but coaching strategy & development.

Long team I can see North Sydney Bears as Perth's feeder & *maybe* Newtown Jets as the Storm's feeder at NSW Cup, as the Sharks will at some stage want to bring their 2nd tier "In house".

I say "maybe" with the Storm, because with air travel more convenient & cheaper between Melbourne & Sydney (compared to between Perth & Sydney), it might be desirable AND feasible for them to have their own NSW Cup based in Melbourne.

If that happens (Sharks & Storm going "in house" for NSW Cup), then the Jets are in some trouble.
If the North Sydney Bears retain their junior and senior teams then it places a lot of pressure on Western Australians to embrace the club. Poor support in Perth will open the door for a relocation back to Sydney. Once a club has a licence it can do whatever it likes with it.

Vlad59

Bench
If the North Sydney Bears retain their junior and senior teams then it places a lot of pressure on Western Australians to embrace the club. Poor support in Perth will open the door for a relocation back to Sydney. Once a club has a licence it can do whatever it likes with it.
Potato

Dragonwest

Juniors
I'd expect HM and SG Ball to be run separately in both locations. By Flegg the players are old enough to relocate to one location.

flippikat

Bench
To be honest, I'm warming towards the Perth Bears thing as a concept.

Is it perfect? No, a unique identity & the full autonomy you'd get without the North Sydney link would be preferable.

But if that's the price to pay to get a few conservative heads on-board, well so be it - and in a way it rights a wrong. Norths should have had a stand-alone place assured by the NRL in Gosford - its to the NRL's shame it wasn't facilitated more.

The key thing is the backstop here. If the partnership fails, the licence CANNOT leave Perth. This is the Bears last chance.

To be honest, I'm warming towards the Perth Bears thing as a concept.

Is it perfect? No, a unique identity & the full autonomy you'd get without the North Sydney link would be preferable.

But if that's the price to pay to get a few conservative heads on-board, well so be it - and in a way it rights a wrong. Norths should have had a stand-alone place assured by the NRL in Gosford - its to the NRL's shame it wasn't facilitated more.

The key thing is the backstop here. If the partnership fails, the licence CANNOT leave Perth. This is the Bears last chance.
It's a shame we never got the Central Coast Bears. The biggest issue was too many teams in Sydney.

Is there a way of making this operation a non-merger?

If it's split between Cumins' consortium and the Bears then I fear it will be plagued by the same issues thar have doomed the Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Northern Eagles. Don't forget the failed Brothers-Valleys merger from 20 years ago.

I still think PNG is the dumbest proposition in the history of Australian sport. I'm not convinced it will get the go ahead, but with simpletons like Albo and V'landys on board anything is possible.

Wb1234

Immortal
Pretty clear if there is a team out west the NRL is demanding it will be the bears. NRL hasn't spoke to cumins & his supposed bid, with a quote in the media that they haven't received directions.

Vlandys spelt it out in telly article today: bears relocation is only option.

I'm getting the feeling Vlandys knows Perth crew won't accept bears & this is a neat way to make them go away. Whatever the case can't see Perth happening given ultimatum.
Are you Nostradamus ?

Vlad59

Bench
It's a shame we never got the Central Coast Bears. The biggest issue was too many teams in Sydney.

If it's split between Cumins' consortium and the Bears then I fear it will be plagued by the same issues thar have doomed the Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Northern Eagles. Don't forget the failed Brothers-Valleys merger from 20 years ago.

I still think PNG is the dumbest proposition in the history of Australian sport. I'm not convinced it will get the go ahead, but with simpletons like Albo and V'landys on board anything is possible.
Vlandys has done amazing things for this game and his decision making has been almost faultless. You on the other hand are a potato.

Vlandys has done amazing things for this game and his decision making has been almost faultless. You on the other hand are a potato.
He butchered the broadcast rights deal you dumbarse. The clubs were angry as f**k with him for leaving money on the table.

Why do you think he came up with the turbo charged expansion plan?

He's trying to get in the clubs' good books by wringing more money out of the broadcasters in 2028.

Unfortunately, he's a dumb shit like you and is going about it thr wrong way. For a start, he's leaving out the one location that the broadcasters have officially said they want. To make it even more f**ked, he's adding one from a third world country that offers nothing but a headache to the broadcasters, RLPA and other 17 clubs. He's also trying to revive a dead NSWRL club and stick it in a fumbleball market that has stated its preference to have its own team. All because the greasy old grifter is nostalgic about the NSWRL. If that ain't dumb enough, he's willing to sabotage the club's ability to win over the fumbleball market by allowing it to take two games back to the most over saturated market on the planet. That's dumb. Really dumb.

Sadly, you're too stupid to understand the significance of any of this because you're a dinosaur pining for a return to the NSWRL days.

The Las Vegas thing is not viable in the long-term. Fans will lose interest and stop flooding to America to prop it up. Americans will never give a f**k about the game.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
If the Bears do end up in Perth then all 12 home games must be played at PRS. It's outrageous that there's talk of taking two games to a shithole like North Sydney Oval.

V'landys is a dickhead.
I’d prefer to see 1-2 games at Optus Stadium.

The Opening round home fixture then another game against someone like Souths.

One game a year at Central Coast Stadium as part of the NRL’s footy country tour and the rest at HBF Park

I’d prefer to see 1-2 games at Optus Stadium.

The Opening round home fixture then another game against someone like Souths.

One game a year at Central Coast Stadium as part of the NRL’s footy country tour and the rest at HBF Park
If a Sydney team were to take a game against the Bears to Central Coast then it could work.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Both the bold sentences are incorrect.

The Bears are committing to Perth 100%. The Bears will be Perth’s team. There is no going back.

No team in the NRL can relocate without the ARLC’s agreeing to it. Colours, names and emblems are protected by the game itself.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

I fail to see anywhere that states the Perth Bears would be a merger between North Sydney and any Perth based consortium.

I expect the deal to be done between the ARLC, WA Government and the North Sydney Bears. This is a relocation. Not a merger.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
He butchered the broadcast rights deal you dumbarse. The clubs were angry as f**k with him for leaving money on the table.

He's trying to get in the clubs' good books by wringing more money out of the broadcasters in 2028.

Unfortunately, he's a dumb shit like you and is going about it thr wrong way. For a start, he's leaving out the one location that the broadcasters have officially said they want. To make it even more f**ked, he's adding one from a third world country that offers nothing but a headache to the broadcasters, RLPA and other 17 clubs. He's also trying to revive a dead NSWRL club and stick it in a fumbleball market that has stated its preference to have its own team. All because the greasy old grifter is nostalgic about the NSWRL. If that ain't dumb enough, he's willing to sabotage the club's ability to win over the fumbleball market by allowing it to take two games back to the most over saturated market on the planet. That's dumb. Really dumb.

Sadly, you're too stupid to understand the significance of any of this because you're a dinosaur pining for a return to the NSWRL days.

The Las Vegas thing is not viable in the long-term. Fans will lose interest and stop flooding to America to prop it up. Americans will never give a f**k about the game.
All of this is nothing but opinion.

I disagree with all of it.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
If a Sydney team were to take a game against the Bears to Central Coast then it could work.

The game on the Central Coast should be against Manly.
Manly will want their own home game against the Bears at Brookvale.

Clubs take home games on the road to regional areas already as part of the Country Footy Tour so Perth taking a game to a regional area isn’t a stretch. Sure they could take games to regional areas within WA but none from what I am aware of have the broadcasting requirements.

blue bags

First Grade
Grizzlies Bears could play Eagles at New stadium Brooksvale Oval
Then play Eagles at North Sydney oval
The 3rd match on east coast would be vs Roosters at SFS
4th match would be at Olympic Park stadium
Vs Rabbitohs 😍

The game on the Central Coast should be against Manly.
Manly will want their own home game against the Bears at Brookvale.

Clubs take home games on the road to regional areas already as part of the Country Footy Tour so Perth taking a game to a regional area isn’t a stretch. Sure they could take games to regional areas within WA but none from what I am aware of have the broadcasting requirements.
There will be a maximum of 12 games in Perth. Sydney teams can take games to regional venues because there's over 100 played in Sydney.

MugaB

Coach

2lS.gif
Stop the pouting ffs...
Club 17 was only taking all Brisbane/SEQ bids
Clubs 18-20 everyone but SEQ, pretty sure if there's a club 21, it will be that east tigers consortium