What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth Bears or bust?!

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
You've gotta wonder if any of the people sprouting a "Perth Bears" outfit has to play 2 home matches at NSO, remotely realize how they are setting Perth up to fail. They are mindlessly proposing that a Club in fledgling market on the other side of the continent has to do a workdays worth of flying (there and back) a minimum 14 times a year. Even if they have 12 real home games, they are still going to be traveling thousands of Kms more than any other Club in the competition.
Besides 2 Sydney "home games" being detrimental to the Bears being accepted and embraced by the Perth public, this WILL be a negative factor in recruitment, player retention, weekly recovery time, and career length. For example, in 37 seasons, the West Coast Eagles have only had one 300+ game player.

For the most part, WA based professional clubs and the public accept the geographical reality of being based in Perth. What they don't find acceptable is National competitions not just being ignorant to the travel handicap but exacerbating it. The Warriors will sympathize, I always thought it mean spirited the amount of times the Warriors were fixtured to play in Perth. This reality all too often goes over the heads of Sydney HQ, as it does in Melbourne's AFL HQ.

Last edited:
You've gotta wonder if any of the people sprouting a "Perth Bears" outfit has to play 2 home matches at NSO, remotely realize how they are setting Perth up to fail. They are mindlessly proposing that a Club in fledgling market on the other side of the continent has to do a workdays worth of flying (there and back) a minimum 14 times a year. Even if they have 12 real home games, they are still going to be traveling thousands of Kms more than any other Club in the competition.
Besides 2 Sydney "home games" being detrimental to the Bears being accepted and embraced by the Perth public, this WILL be a negative factor in recruitment, player retention, weekly recovery time, and career length. For example, in 37 seasons, the West Coast Eagles have only had one 300+ game player.

For the most part, WA based professional clubs and the public accept the geographical reality of being based in Perth. What they don't find acceptable is National competitions not just being ignorant to the travel handicap but exacerbating it. The Warriors will sympathize, I always thought it mean spirited the amount of times the Warriors were fixtured to play in Perth. This reality all too often goes over the heads of Sydney HQ, as it does in Melbourne's AFL HQ.
My passion for the game has waned a lot over the last decade due to its Sydney-centric administration.

I blame the News Ltd media for pushing this crap about the Bears down everyone's throat for 20 f**ken years. It the Bears do get the licence and take games to Sydney then the media will have played a large role in it. For that reason I'm contemplating getting rid of my Foxtel subscription and just watching full game replays on YouTube.

Wb1234

Referee
My passion for the game has waned a lot over the last decade due to its Sydney-centric administration.

I blame the News Ltd media for pushing this crap about the Bears down everyone's throat for 20 f**ken years. It the Bears do get the licence and take games to Sydney then the media will have played a large role in it. For that reason I'm contemplating getting rid of my Foxtel subscription and just watching full game replays on YouTube.
News ltd realised their error

final say

Juniors
Whats your source?

I would love for Perth to have 12 games. But it looks likely it’ll be 10-11 games in Perth from what I’ve read, heard and seen.
Maybe the NRL will buy away games, I'm pretty sure Thursday home game vs Perth Bears for the Cowboys would happily be sold for a profit. Or you would have to think a derby game against Manly would actually be cool to have at North Sydney oval.

It opens more doors than it closes

mongoose

Coach

I don't believe the Bears have any desire or commitment to grow the game in Perth. It's just a means to an end.
I Hope I'm wrong.

I don't believe the Bears have any desire or commitment to grow the game in Perth. It's just a means to an end.
I Hope I'm wrong.
I'll go one step further and say V'landys isn't interested in growing the game. He's just looking out for the interests of NSW Racing. The Las Vegas crap is something that can benefit NSW Racing in the long term more than it will help the NRL. The swipes he made about Victoria are aimed at the Victorian racing industry.

final say

Juniors
I Hope I'm wrong.
Well, I'm pleased to announce that you're definitely wrong. There's zero chance that a brand, any brand of business in any regard on planet earth doesn't work to appeal to the market in which they're situated... The Bears will be working overtime trying to hack the Perth market.. it's a grimey business but in relation to the greatest game ever in the history of games.. rock on.

That isn’t a source. Do you have one?

Please answer yes or no and leave your opinion out of it.
Re-read what I said.

I never claimed the club has announced all twelve games will be played in Perth if it gets an NRL licence. I said the maximum amount of games it can hold in Perth. Whether they choose to do that is yet to be determined.

The main point is Perth will have just one team. Sydney already has nine. It's dumb to take two games away from Perth and play them in a market that already has nine teams.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Re-read what I said.

I never claimed the club has announced all twelve games will be played in Perth if it gets an NRL licence. I said the maximum amount of games it can hold in Perth. Whether they choose to do that is yet to be determined.

The main point is Perth will have just one team. Sydney already has nine. It's dumb to take two games away from Perth and play them in a market that already has nine teams.
Context is important.

I told you all it would be png, then the bears... Winfield cup was the boom in the 90s, to have a brand like that come back into the fold is huge, regardless of the current administration that runs it, it like having the steelers come back (had they never merged and were culled)
You said it would be PNG Pride based in Cairns and North Sydney Bears relocating to Melbourne, despite it being explained to you ad nauseum that Melbourne cannot support two teams.

The 17 NRL clubs need to approve of Albo's proposal before PNG is awarded a licence.

MugaB

Coach
You said it would be PNG Pride based in Cairns and North Sydney Bears relocating to Melbourne, despite it being explained to you ad nauseum that Melbourne cannot support two teams.

The 17 NRL clubs need to approve of Albo's proposal before PNG is awarded a licence.
Didn't you just say this on another thread, the great influencer hard at work,
Coz when you can't win the argument, attack the poster who you couldn't rattle hawhawhaw

BTW Melbourne supports 9 afl teams, we crap on about nz cant support 2 RL teamsin a population of 5 million, and you want another Brisbane side in a 3 million population, yet Melbourne can't, in a population of 6 million, do the math son