What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth Bears or bust?!

Wb1234

Referee
Sharks no 1 ticket holder was alright in the 90's too!
Not so much the sharks number 1 ticket holder who just resigned from it lol
Yep. I'd have easts tigers too. Broncos as a business should look to protect its own interests. Up to NRL to find a way to include more Brisbane teams (which they did successfully with dolphins). Crushers were a joke without a hope of competing with Broncs..
without sl war crushers would’ve been fine

without super league war we would probably have four Brisbane clubs already and at least two nz clubs plus Perth would have been allowed to prosper over 30 years

Your idea of professional is canibalising the entire brl for one team ? Lmao

the same professional club that intentionally killed off a rival Brisbane club

and made sure no new Brisbane team would be allowed for 20 years
You can blame Arthurson and Quayle for choosing Barry Maranta's bid ahead of Ron McAuliffe's out of fear and pettiness. Arthurson and Quayle were paranoid that a Brisbane NSWRL club operated by McAullife would have the same sort of success as the Queensland Origin team.

Ironically, the Broncos ended up dominating on and off the field. Arthurson and Quayle f**ked with the Broncos every which way and favoured the Sydney clubs.

Ron McAuliffe introduced the idea of a 12 team Super League in 1984:

Titled "Super League a must " the October 4th 1984 edition of Rugby League Week featured an interview with then Queensland Rugby League chairman Ron McAuliffe. In the interview with Tony Durkin , Ron McAuliffe brought to light a proposal to expand the then NSWRL competition with several new teams. McAuliffe's plans were for what he described as a "Super League" with 12 clubs from across NSW and Queensland across two divisions, with a system of relegation and promotion.
"From my point of view, the thoughts are preliminary at this stage," he said."It has yet to be discussed with the NSW League and the ARL. But it will happen, I've no doubt about that." McAuliffe was also noncommittal about the number of teams which would take part in such a competition, but he thought 12 would be an ideal number. "But if there are 12, it won't necessarily mean eight from Sydney and four from Brisbane," he said."And it won't necessarily be one single club. The way I see it, there is going to be much ground sharing and club sharing in the future." He continued "In fact, I can foresee club amalgamations in both Brisbane and Sydney."

Durkin, Tony (4 October 1984). "Super League 'a must' -McAuliffe". Rugby League Week. Bauer Media Group.

Not so much the sharks number 1 ticket holder who just resigned from it lol

without sl war crushers would’ve been fine

without super league war we would probably have four Brisbane clubs already and at least two nz clubs plus Perth would have been allowed to prosper over 30 years
Crushers were broke before the 1995 season began. The club was based in the wrong location. Its headquarters were at Brothers' old stomping grounds in Grange, making it way too close to the Broncos at Red Hill. The BRL clubs based in that -- Wests, Valleys and Brothers -- went bust because they couldn't compete with the Broncos. Souths also struggled. Norths would have gone bust without assistance from the Storm in the 1990s.

The "Crushers" brand didn't really resonate with people from Brisbane. The sugar cane industry wasn't really a big part of Brisbane's identity in 1995. There were sugar mills in the area, but it was a dying industry. The city was expanding rapidly becoming more cosmopolitan. The "big country town" was a relic of the past.

RedVee

First Grade
In hignsight, do you think that was a good idea?
Penrith being pretty far out distance of Sydney's borders, pretty much make them almost regional, basically the same distance of the central coast or Illawarra to Sydney's central city cbd
They deemed Illawarra to be part of Sydney for criteria purposes

Quidgybo

Bench
The "Crushers" brand didn't really resonate with people from Brisbane. The sugar cane industry wasn't really a big part of Brisbane's identity in 1995. There were sugar mills in the area, but it was a dying industry. The city was expanding rapidly becoming more cosmopolitan. The "big country town" was a relic of the past.

But “Crushers” would be a pretty good revival name if a Cairns team is ever brought in. Even more so for Mackay.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Absolutely.. it's just crazy that Norths weren't given some recognition for jumping before they were pushed (re: the Central Coast relocation they had in-process) and given all the support they needed to get the Central Coast Bears off the ground in 2000.

Quite staggering how a new 20,000 seat stadium wasn't taken into consideration in the criteria. Norths played their last game in '99 and six months later, a new stadium on the Central Coast was open for the.......Northern Eagles.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
You can blame Arthurson and Quayle for choosing Barry Maranta's bid ahead of Ron McAuliffe's out of fear and pettiness. Arthurson and Quayle were paranoid that a Brisbane NSWRL club operated by McAullife would have the same sort of success as the Queensland Origin team.

Ironically, the Broncos ended up dominating on and off the field. Arthurson and Quayle f**ked with the Broncos every which way and favoured the Sydney clubs.

Ron McAuliffe introduced the idea of a 12 team Super League in 1984:

Titled "Super League a must " the October 4th 1984 edition of Rugby League Week featured an interview with then Queensland Rugby League chairman Ron McAuliffe. In the interview with Tony Durkin , Ron McAuliffe brought to light a proposal to expand the then NSWRL competition with several new teams. McAuliffe's plans were for what he described as a "Super League" with 12 clubs from across NSW and Queensland across two divisions, with a system of relegation and promotion.​
"From my point of view, the thoughts are preliminary at this stage," he said."It has yet to be discussed with the NSW League and the ARL. But it will happen, I've no doubt about that." McAuliffe was also noncommittal about the number of teams which would take part in such a competition, but he thought 12 would be an ideal number. "But if there are 12, it won't necessarily mean eight from Sydney and four from Brisbane," he said."And it won't necessarily be one single club. The way I see it, there is going to be much ground sharing and club sharing in the future." He continued "In fact, I can foresee club amalgamations in both Brisbane and Sydney."​
Durkin, Tony (4 October 1984). "Super League 'a must' -McAuliffe". Rugby League Week. Bauer Media Group.​
84 huh? So it was a slow burn

wonder if the broncos were told of this or they came up with the idea on their own

in Mike Coleman’s book a comment by John Quayle to ribot along the lines of if you don’t like how we run the league set up your own was the catylst

uncle Wayne particularly took this as a threat

mcauliffe had the right idea but the number of clubs was too low

Seeing p and r in Australia would’ve been interesting though

two fully pro divisions retaining all the nswrl and brl clubs would’ve been good

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Can't believe no one has talked about how Glebe and University got shafted back in the 1920s! Forget super league, that's what we should be discussing.

soc123_au

Staff member
Canberra, Penrith, Sharks were all strong clubs with modern outlook.
We certainly weren't, we were still falling into the post '92 abyss.

Not sure how we survived tbh. At least based on the criteria, if foresight was a criteria we should have been fine, but that was way down the list. I remember at the time it seemed a merge with Parra was our only play for a while. So glad that didn't happen.

Pippen94

First Grade
We certainly weren't, we were still falling into the post '92 abyss.

Not sure how we survived tbh. At least based on the criteria, if foresight was a criteria we should have been fine, but that was way down the list. I remember at the time it seemed a merge with Parra was our only play for a while. So glad that didn't happen.

Relative to tigers, magpies, South's..

Reflector

Juniors
Cutting Penrith would’ve been stupid

just like cutting the crushers Gold Coast central coast Illawarra south’s and Perth was (sharks Should’ve been booted for the dragons)

The ranking criteria for clubs was rigged as outlined by George Piggins in his book
Brace yourselves....

The multi-paragraph arguments with a certain Broncos hater are coming...

soc123_au

Staff member
Relative to tigers, magpies, South's..
Still a long bow to draw. I remember being really worried we were gone. The only thing in our favour was a strong junior base that we still hadn't worked out how to utilise. I think we were also financialy in decent shape off the back of the leagues club (The near financial ruin came later). On field, crowds etc we pretty poor.

Wb1234

Referee
Still a long bow to draw. I remember being really worried we were gone. The only thing in our favour was a strong junior base that we still hadn't worked out how to utilise. I think we were also financialy in decent shape off the back of the leagues club (The near financial ruin came later). On field, crowds etc we pretty poor.
Shows how stupid the criteria was that Penrith almost missed out

imagine they got booted and became a union or a soccer side

super rugby would be killing it

soc123_au

Staff member
Shows how stupid the criteria was that Penrith almost missed out

imagine they got booted and became a union or a soccer side

super rugby would be killing it
Oh yeah, I agree it would have been stupid. My point was is it nearly happened and if the criteria was stuck to it probably would have. If we had stayed with the ARL I believe we would have been gone or merged with Parra.

The Bears committing suicide and getting into bed with Manly is what saved us imo.

Latest posts