What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
On the cap, can’t believe we are only 4 months out and clubs don’t know yet what they can pay the players! Tv deal was done 2 years ago!

Id be asking the clubs what they need an extra $2mill a year of grant money for! That’s $34 mill a year disappearing down the drain. I thought they were all allegedly profitable now according to pistol Pete?

The players want a seat on the ARLC

It is nothing to do with money as to the hold up

Iamback

Coach
From my own opinion, when it comes to relocations or mergers, it depends on the clubs that are involved. "Club X" could be more suited to relocate, while "Clubs A and B" are more fit to merge with each other.

But the way it was done with ithe mergers and omissions of certain clubs was extremely messy and lacking in commonsense.

If the game had strong, smart administrators, then a 19th team, not 17th, would come into the comp next year.

Which is what I compare current management too, RL in the past and it is with early 90's level. Just a shame the 20 years between set the game so far back

Colk

First Grade
Waste of time tbh unless there’s a strong strategy and investment of resources alongside it. Playing randomly m one off games to a curious and expat crowd if 15k people won’t make any headway

Depends on what you want. The whole exercise in America has got very little to do with development (however Abdo and co want to spin it) and more to do with developing gambling revenue. If they want to do that with America, then why not go to Asia as well.

Iamback

Coach
Depends on what you want. The whole exercise in America has got very little to do with development (however Abdo and co want to spin it) and more to do with developing gambling revenue. If they want to do that with America, then why not go to Asia as well.

The IRL awarded USA the 2033 World Cup, exposure is needed before then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I very much d
I doubt people are going to start betting on nrl games in usa based on one game in Denver or wherever it gets played that 99.9% of the country won’t know happened. If that’s the goal they’d be better giving the rights away to a decent coverage channel and trying to generate interest though weekly exposure on main channel tv. Then take some games and at same time getting USARL and ANRL together and investing in a national semi pro comp to get some local interest in the game. But given the way the arlc neglects the game on its own doorstep it’s naive to believe they have the money or will to do much in America.

Colk

First Grade
I very much d

I doubt people are going to start betting on nrl games in usa based on one game in Denver or wherever it gets played that 99.9% of the country won’t know happened. If that’s the goal they’d be better giving the rights away to a decent coverage channel and trying to generate interest though weekly exposure on tv. Then take some games and at same time getting USARL and ANRL together and investing in a national semi pro comp to get some local interest in the game.

I agree

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**k me our game lol. Ok it’s news ltd so pinch of salt but given there’s quotes from panthers chairman in it…. Why wasnt this sorted out 6 months ago?

League bosses Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo have cancelled their trip to England for the World Cup final as the club funding row reaches breaking point amid extraordinary threats of disgruntled clubs setting up a breakaway competition.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal a handful of clubs have privately raised the drastic option of forming a rebel league, such is their anger and bitter frustration over the financial stalemate that has put the game at a standstill.
Fletcher told The Daily Telegraph: “We’re not going to be dictated to.”
Another senior club official, who declined to be named, said: “If the NRL want to bully players and clubs, we will find a different group of people to govern the game.”

There is no question now that the relationship between a number of clubs, the RLPA and the head body is absolutely at rock bottom.
However V’landys is backing his chief executive Andrew Abdo to the hilt.

The game is in an unprecedented mess at the beginning of the rugby league financial year with:

• No salary cap for 2023

• No club funding agreement

• No collective bargaining deal

• No playing schedule for next year

• And no relationship with the NSWRL, with whom they are involved in legal action.

Colk

First Grade
f**k me our game lol. Ok it’s news ltd so pinch of salt but given there’s quotes from panthers chairman in it…. Why want this sorted out 6 months ago?

League bosses Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo have cancelled their trip to England for the World Cup final as the club funding row reaches breaking point amid extraordinary threats of disgruntled clubs setting up a breakaway competition.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal a handful of clubs have privately raised the drastic option of forming a rebel league, such is their anger and bitter frustration over the financial stalemate that has put the game at a standstill.
Fletcher told The Daily Telegraph: “We’re not going to be dictated to.”
Another senior club official, who declined to be named, said: “If the NRL want to bully players and clubs, we will find a different group of people to govern the game.”

There is no question now that the relationship between a number of clubs, the RLPA and the head body is absolutely at rock bottom.
However V’landys is backing his chief executive Andrew Abdo to the hilt.

The game is in an unprecedented mess at the beginning of the rugby league financial year with:

• No salary cap for 2023

• No club funding agreement

• No collective bargaining deal

• No playing schedule for next year

• And no relationship with the NSWRL, with whom they are involved in legal action.

Somebody will get the bullet and we’ll move on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And here in lies the problem of showing big surpluses to look good, the begging bowls come out and the clubs and players think they should have it. ‘Only‘ $5mill over cap? Lol that could cost the game an extra $59.5mill a year if players get their way with a $11.5mill cap demand. We are only getting an extra $12mill tv cash a year and the new club grant is going to be more than that! Where do they think the moneys coming from? Maybe they are confused and thought it was vlandys that’s done the afl deal lol.

“All the clubs want is $5 million on top of the cap which we need.
“It’s peanuts when they’re skiting about making $50 million over two pages in the paper.”

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
And here in lies the problem of showing big surpluses to look good, the begging bowls come out!

Tbf it is not only the ARLC this time. The RLPA bear a lot of responsibility for this situation occurring. They get a very good deal and they don’t seem to want to budge on anything.

Like fancy arguing that they need more than 12 months for players to sort their future when it doesn’t happen anywhere else. The current transfer system is an absolute joke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s say the players get what they want, cap of $11.5mill and clubs get what they want $16.5mill grant.
thats an extra $52.5mill a year compared to what clubs received in 2019. We know the new tv deal is only going to deliver $12mill cash extra at best so where do they see the $40mill a year gap coming from?

only reason we could pay the clubs and players so much last year was the funding to community, development and grassroots being slashed by $45million.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Tbf it is not only the ARLC this time. The RLPA bear a lot of responsibility for this situation occurring. They get a very good deal and they don’t seem to want to budge on anything.

Like fancy arguing that they need more than 12 months for players to sort their future when it doesn’t happen anywhere else. The current transfer system is an absolute joke.

There lies the issue, The cap isn't locked in due to not having a CBA. There is none because of the crazy demands from the players, As such the clubs don't have their funding in place

The players want a seat on the ARLC

It is nothing to do with money as to the hold up

A crazy demand in my book. I mean the NFLPA and the NBAPA don't have seats on the Boards of Directors of the NFL nor the NBA. It woiuld be a massive confict of interest to put it mildly. No administrator worth his/her salt would agree to that.

Iamback

Coach
A crazy demand in my book. I mean the NFLPA and the NBAPA don't have seats on the Boards of Directors of the NFL nor the NBA. It woiuld be a massive confict of interest to put it mildly. No administrator worth his/her salt would agree to that.

Clubs and players need to kept away, Crazy to think it is possible

Perth Red

Post Whore
Assuming you have never been to Singapore then? I’m also certain that you probably think playing a game in America is a good idea because V’Landys said it. Money is money and they do like gambling in Asia as much as they do in America.

Also why are you using j’s when you are laughing - are you Spanish?
I’d take a nines to singapore. Great stadium, amazing city to visit and chock full of rich corporates to introduce the game to. And a short flight for me :)

Latest posts