What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Colk

First Grade
High risk, high cost options

We saw how these bids failed before due to cost

We cant afford another Storm situation where $20 mil per year extra needs to be pumped in for 20 years. Each club must stand on its own 2 feet

Dont forget Auckland went bust after only 5 years, not much has changed in NZ to stop this happening again

Much higher reward too.

You could argue that CC is low risk although the Bears ran out of money and there were too many Sydney sides for a professional competition (so there’s risk) but most importantly there is really no reward in a CC/lower north shore side. That’s the point.

Also, what do you mean the game can’t afford it. Rugby League has the second highest revenue of any Australian sport and every other Australian competition has an Adelaide and Perth team. The idea that the game can’t afford it is absolutely ridiculous. The question is whether you think it is worth it, not whether the game could afford it.

At this point in time, I’d say Perth are favourites for the 18th team so we may be testing your objections out soon enough.

siv

First Grade
Wasnt money a problem for the bears too?
They were building Gosford stadium

But before they were able to play a game there, their licence was removed by the dreaded criteria

With no team and no NRL grant, they had no choice but go into administration as the FC could no longer service the loan

There would have been no issues if the NRL chose to remain at 16 teams in 1999

As we sit at 17 teams today, it has proven to be a incorrect decision

Chimp

Bench
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, couldn’t see a thread for it..:

What an absolute shambles that we still don’t know the cap for the upcoming season.

I shared my thoughts on the RLPA on the Sharks forum, and expected to get a bit of grief for it, but was surprised to find most people feel the same way.

Whilst some of the things the RLPA are trying to do are good (ex-players health fund), the vast majority of tripe I hear from the RLPA reminds me of everything that can be bad about trade unions. Expect the world of the employer, and defend the indefensible of the worker. ‘We want to be genuine partners of the game’, but when one of our members acts like a goose, we should protect and defend him… ‘when the game makes more money, we should get more money’… but when the game loses money (covid), we’ll fight tooth and nail to make sure the players aren’t impacted.

Ultimately though, the fact the cap still isn’t known for next year is an absolute scandal, and heads should roll, at the NRL and at the RLPA.

Iamback

Coach
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, couldn’t see a thread for it..:

What an absolute shambles that we still don’t know the cap for the upcoming season.

I shared my thoughts on the RLPA on the Sharks forum, and expected to get a bit of grief for it, but was surprised to find most people feel the same way.

Whilst some of the things the RLPA are trying to do are good (ex-players health fund), the vast majority of tripe I hear from the RLPA reminds me of everything that can be bad about trade unions. Expect the world of the employer, and defend the indefensible of the worker. ‘We want to be genuine partners of the game’, but when one of our members acts like a goose, we should protect and defend him… ‘when the game makes more money, we should get more money’… but when the game loses money (covid), we’ll fight tooth and nail to make sure the players aren’t impacted.

Ultimately though, the fact the cap still isn’t known for next year is an absolute scandal, and heads should roll, at the NRL and at the RLPA.

Agree 100%,

Some of the stuff they are asking is an over reach of their powers

siv

First Grade
11.5 mil up from 9.3 mil

Squads expanded from 30 to 40 max

6 Dev players replaced by 2nd tier cap for 6-10 players

$5 mil football operations grant which looks less than the 130% agreed

NRLW minimum wage and the begining of a NRLW grant

Steel Saints

Juniors
They were building Gosford stadium

But before they were able to play a game there, their licence was removed by the dreaded criteria

With no team and no NRL grant, they had no choice but go into administration as the FC could no longer service the loan

There would have been no issues if the NRL chose to remain at 16 teams in 1999

As we sit at 17 teams today, it has proven to be a incorrect decision
Perth and the Bears were terribly unlucky to be omitted in the late nineties. Perth and the Central Coast should be in the comp today.

That criteria back then was a joke. I think what people need to realise is not every decision that was made in the past was the right one. Excluding a 90 year old club who were prepared to make a move and a new area like Perth, are some of the most dumbest mistakes the game has ever made.

And omitting the Crushers wasn't a crash hot idea either. If anything, there should've been two Brisbane clubs coming into the comp in 1988, instead of one.

Colk

First Grade
Perth and the Bears were terribly unlucky to be omitted in the late nineties. Perth and the Central Coast should be in the comp today.

That criteria back then was a joke. I think what people need to realise is not every decision that was made in the past was the right one. Excluding a 90 year old club who were prepared to make a move and a new area like Perth, are some of the most dumbest mistakes the game has ever made.

And omitting the Crushers wasn't a crash hot idea either. If anything, there should've been two Brisbane clubs coming into the comp in 1988, instead of one.

In hindsight it should have been 16 teams and the path to least resistance would have been 3 or 4 relocations of Sydney sides even excluding the Bears.

I am only speaking from my own personal point of view but for me I would find it much easier to follow a relocated side than a merged one. Like, for example what does an old Magpie supporter see in the Wests Tigers?

Lol you are using Western games that are played in westernized countries as examples that they will work in SE Asia.
newsflash…western cultures are very similar…yet very very different to Asian .
then you use the Storm as an example…
lol Melb is in Aust…
as much as AFL is a religion ….RL was not something new ..SOO was played there ..a small media coverage …
People who had moved there from NSW or Qld .
there was already a small RL fan base .
I don’t think you can say the same for Asia.
possibly the dumbest idea ever.
You do realise that "Western games" are played in SE Asia, right?

Tennis. Badminton. Squash. Soccer. Cricket. Baseball. Rugby union. Basketball. Motor racing.

There are Australians, New Zealanders and Englishmen living and working in SE Asia.

I'd love to know how you think global sports became global. At some time they were introduced to markets that never heard of them.

High risk, high cost options

We saw how these bids failed before due to cost

We cant afford another Storm situation where $20 mil per year extra needs to be pumped in for 20 years. Each club must stand on its own 2 feet

Dont forget Auckland went bust after only 5 years, not much has changed in NZ to stop this happening again
Storm were given about $90m to $100m over 20 years. That equates to about $5m a year. I don't know where you got "another Storm situation where $20 mil per year extra needs to be pumped in for 20 years".

Colk

First Grade
Storm were given about $90m to $100m over 20 years. That equates to about $5m a year. I don't know where you got "another Storm situation where $20 mil per year extra needs to be pumped in for 20 years".

Even if that were true (you need to spend $20m on a side) and it is not, clubs are getting such large grants and the revenue is so large that $20m is a relative drop in the ocean

Even if that were true (you need to spend $20m on a side) and it is not, clubs are getting such large grants and the revenue is so large that $20m is a relative drop in the ocean

That's right.

What the Storm got each year for 20 years is not much different to what each club is given today.

I'd love to hear @siv explain why it's okay to spend $36m of money from the ARLC each year to prop up the football departments of nine Sydney clubs but wrong if $5m per annum over 20 years is used on the Storm to establish a successful club in Australia's second largest market?

Why does he think nine Sydney clubs deserve it but lamblasts the idea of teams in Adelaide and Perth getting it?

Steel Saints

Juniors
In hindsight it should have been 16 teams and the path to least resistance would have been 3 or 4 relocations of Sydney sides even excluding the Bears.

I am only speaking from my own personal point of view but for me I would find it much easier to follow a relocated side than a merged one. Like, for example what does an old Magpie supporter see in the Wests Tigers?
From my own opinion, when it comes to relocations or mergers, it depends on the clubs that are involved. "Club X" could be more suited to relocate, while "Clubs A and B" are more fit to merge with each other.

But the way it was done with ithe mergers and omissions of certain clubs was extremely messy and lacking in commonsense.

If the game had strong, smart administrators, then a 19th team, not 17th, would come into the comp next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol you are using Western games that are played in westernized countries as examples that they will work in SE Asia.
newsflash…western cultures are very similar…yet very very different to Asian .
then you use the Storm as an example…
lol Melb is in Aust…
as much as AFL is a religion ….RL was not something new ..SOO was played there ..a small media coverage …
People who had moved there from NSW or Qld .
there was already a small RL fan base .
I don’t think you can say the same for Asia.
possibly the dumbest idea ever.
How has union managed to get a ft professional comp in Japan based on your assumption of the Asian interest in Anglo sports?

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the cap, can’t believe we are only 4 months out and clubs don’t know yet what they can pay the players! Tv deal was done 2 years ago!

Id be asking the clubs what they need an extra $2mill a year of grant money for! That’s $34 mill a year disappearing down the drain. I thought they were all allegedly profitable now according to pistol Pete?

Colk

First Grade
From my own opinion, when it comes to relocations or mergers, it depends on the clubs that are involved. "Club X" could be more suited to relocate, while "Clubs A and B" are more fit to merge with each other.

But the way it was done with ithe mergers and omissions of certain clubs was extremely messy and lacking in commonsense.

If the game had strong, smart administrators, then a 19th team, not 17th, would come into the comp next year.

Very true. I know people disagree with me but St George and Illawarra kind of works (same colours, relative adjacent regions and no acrimony) although they probably should defer to the Illawarra part a little more than they do.

Magpies maybe could have merged with the Bulldogs or Penrith instead of relocating although I would have still chosen relocation if I were them but Tigers should have just relocated. That merger really hasn’t worked.

Colk

First Grade
How has union managed to get a ft professional comp in Japan based on your assumption of the Asian interest in Anglo sports?

It is the same reason for any sport. People move to areas and bring their cultural interests with them. They then get the locals involved.

If the League want to show a game in America why is it then not possible to have a whole round or half a round overseas. You could put a game in Singapore or in Japan (plenty of Australians and English etc live in those countries) and some in New Zealand and the Pacific.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is the same reason for any sport. People move to areas and bring their cultural interests with them. They then get the locals involved.

If the League want to show a game in America why is it then not possible to have a whole round or half a round overseas. You could put a game in Singapore or in Japan (plenty of Australians and English etc live in those countries) and some in New Zealand and the Pacific.
Waste of time tbh unless there’s a strong strategy and investment of resources alongside it. Playing randomly m one off games to a curious and expat crowd if 15k people won’t make any headway

Wb1234

Referee

No club is fit for merger

might as well just pick one club cause it never works

Wb1234

Referee

Singapore

Hahjajjaaa

wtf