What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, that's what I was stating also, and that's how it's been in Queensland in my lifetime.

@Jamberoo just divided 4100 by 17 and came up with a number of clubs, and seemed to have no concept of age groups.

I wondered if that's how it operates at junior Aussie Rules level.
no. same as all sports, one club operating many teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure Harry has much of an argument there lol. Yeh they could be tradies grafting hard for 8 hours a day, or you can get paid to be in the gym and running around a field for 90mins with the potential to go on and become a millionaire. Hmmm tough choice fellas! I wonder what Harry would say if the NRL ups the cap $1million but raised the min and development wage accordingly so the money went to the bottom not the top?

I'm not surprised there is impasse. Vlandys is a hard head with zero negotiation skill, Abdo cant make any decisions, clubs see last seasons surplus and want it. A perfect storm for this mess just a couple of months out from next season.

Clubs dont really have much argument here, if they get what they want they will get around 47% of revenue, a figure not been seen before.
Cant blame players for getting as much as they can.

Last edited:
Why the hell you talking about 1910? Haha the broncos commenced in 1988.

Mergers of Sydney clubs had been floated since the early 70s with the plan being to have teams in Canberra wagga Newcastle and Brisbane. All because the code with so many Sydney clubs was unsustainable.

Wests and Newtown were booted out the comp in 1983.

Arthurson had floated a type of “super league” in 86. QRL pulled out for the licence for a Brisbane club. Then AFL started the Bears in 87. A direct result of panicking that AFL got into Queensland market first, NSWRL and sydney clubs allowed the creation of the Broncos - a privately owned club with restriction in place to be the only Queensland club in return for the $500,000 licence fee which surprise surprise was distributed to Sydney clubs.

Then NSWRL announced the Gold Coast Giants would play in Tweed to avoid the exclusivity agreement in place with Broncos. From that point on, the relationship between Broncos and NSWRL only deteriorated due to Sydney centric decision making.

1992 - Bradley report - recommends culling, merging and relocating Sydney clubs. Then by 95 the broncos, the only real profit making club, is told they have to meet the same criteria as Sydney clubs and will only be invited to join the ARL on a year to year basis and things like having to share merchandise revenue with Sydney clubs continue. ARL completely lit the fuse for a Super League. But yeah sure, talk about 1910 all ya like.

How strong the game is under our current bosses?

In 2016-17 they dipped into the sustainability fund to prop up poor performing clubs - Sydney Clubs again. This lead to Graeme Samuel quitting the Commission.

By 2020, covid came along they had no assets or “sustainability fund” to help fund the game. So knowing the comp is on its knees, PVL decides to get his head on TV every two seconds and claim the NRL is gonna go broke, which just allowed Foxtel and Nine to know they had positions of power and took to tv rights agreements like vultures picking at the bones.

The decision to go ahead with renegotiation on tv rights, which Greenberg and Abdo recommended the Commission not to do, has ended up costing the NRL, clubs and players at least $500m in comparison to the rival code.

Now they can’t get the CBA done and players are openly disparaging the code in media.

Clubs are pissed cause they can’t get any transparency on financials of things like magic round and tv rights deals.

You know the AFL CBA is up this year too? Don’t hear any talk of rebel leagues or clubs getting the administration of the game sacked.

If you think this game is well run under the current administration you’ve got rocks in ya head
That was such a cool story, google up some more stuff to show everyone how much you know.

Jamberoo

Juniors
You do know that clubs run various teams from u5’s upwards male and female don’t you? 26 clubs in WA. That’s an avg of around 8 teams per club
Yes, PR I have kids I know how community sport works. But, as an example, I clicked on one age group at random (pretty sure it was U13 boys), and there were only five clubs. Where did you get 26 clubs from? I can see 16 from Perth/surrounding towns, and six in regional areas (Pilbara/Goldfields, of which only three look to have juniors). Fremantle Roosters seem to be the biggest club with 20+ teams. The 4,100 would include Tag. Touch as well?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Is that how it works with local Aussie Rules?(genuine question)

They just register the bare minimum of players and that's one club? So there is no age based grades of footy organised by the one club?
Not sure what you mean, but I will try...

In Melbourne, you have about six major leagues for AR, made up of 20 - 50 clubs, with 2 - 6 graded sections in each age group. Each club would have one or two teams allocated for each age group - Five to 15 teams at most clubs. AR starts at U8s, you do Auskick until then.

RL here is the same but just one league of about 17 clubs.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Yes, that's what I was stating also, and that's how it's been in Queensland in my lifetime.

@Jamberoo just divided 4100 by 17 and came up with a number of clubs, and seemed to have no concept of age groups.

I wondered if that's how it operates at junior Aussie Rules level.
No I didn't say or do that. I said for 4100 players, you would there would be around 240 teams, if you have around 17 players per team.

In 2016-17 they dipped into the sustainability fund to prop up poor performing clubs - Sydney Clubs again.
Since when were the Gold Coast and Newcastle part of Sydney??.?????
Because that's two of the teams they were propping up, along with the Dragons and Tigers.
In fact those two teams NOT from Sydney where technically owned by the NRL, that's how bad a shape they were in.
So much horse shit in the Crayon Brigade.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
You know that’s not true

the arl loved all its clubs especially its Sydney ones

if no Sydney clubs go to super league the comp dies in two weeks. Nobody gave a rats about the rest of the dregs they took lol
Careful, a certain Loganite will turn up any second if you keep that talk going...

Canard

Immortal
Not sure what you mean, but I will try...

In Melbourne, you have about six major leagues for AR, made up of 20 - 50 clubs, with 2 - 6 graded sections in each age group. Each club would have one or two teams allocated for each age group - Five to 15 teams at most clubs. AR starts at U8s, you do Auskick until then.

RL here is the same but just one league of about 17 clubs.

According to this there are ~230k registered AFL players in Victoria.

That would equate to about 10,500 teams of 22 players (of all age groups).

For mine that's a way to simplistic way of calculating. No one team would have only the bare minimum of 17 players (or 22 in the case of AFL), and likely have anywhere north of 30 players involved in a season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, PR I have kids I know how community sport works. But, as an example, I clicked on one age group at random (pretty sure it was U13 boys), and there were only five clubs. Where did you get 26 clubs from? I can see 16 from Perth/surrounding towns, and six in regional areas (Pilbara/Goldfields, of which only three look to have juniors). Fremantle Roosters seem to be the biggest club with 20+ teams. The 4,100 would include Tag. Touch as well?
no it doesn't include touch or tag
different clubs have different numbers of teams, and this can vary year by year depending on recruitment success. Some clubs are just jnrs, some clubs are jnrs and snrs.

we have 12 in Perth metro, 6 in SW regional, 8 in NW regional and 2 on the northern Islands.

yes some clubs have 15 plus teams, some have 5 or less. avg out to 8 over the 28 or so clubs we have and voila over 4000 players.

we just held a harmony nines weekend that had 60 sides and over 1300 players take part.

Latest posts