What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
But you have to agree Wb1234, that extending Fox’s contract during a pandemic wasn’t the right move from PVL.

depends what the game would of got as it is,
Without knowing the deal - Hopefully we get that with this. Then we can get an idea where it stands in comparison to other NRL deals.

The ability to compare to AFL is years away but the game was able finally expand, Bye's are terrible so surely team 18 isn't far

Expanded NRLW with same pay for women as men in Origin.

Raise in club grants and cap.

Not sure that happens with no long term deal

Last edited:
Yes I do think it is the Sydney clubs hold the game back.

The only reason they approved expansion in the first place was to bleed the new queensland teams for money to prop up themselves and avoid bankruptcy.

The whole genesis for super league was a response to Sydney clubs and nsw dominated ARL making shit decisions at the expense of interstate clubs, particularly the broncos.

The reason we don’t have an NRL with the governance framework to actually needed to dictate to the clubs - is cause the Sydney clubs and NSWRL won’t agree to it. Which is insanity.

Can’t have a national reserves comp cause the Newtown, North Sydney, Mounties and Illawarra don’t want it? The whole system is stuffed. How do these 4 clubs get voting rights in how the national competition functions? It’s absurd.

We also have an NRL attempting to hoodwink QRL, NSWRL, all clubs and players by steath and undermine the bizarre governance framework in place. Rather than engage properly with its key stakeholders.

So yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s the Sydney clubs both the ones in NRL and those in NSWRL that holding rugby league back in this country, rather than the Melbourne, Brisbane and North Queenslands in the comp.
If Auckland Warriors, Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm, Moreton Bay Dolphins, Newcastle Knights and North Queensland Cowboys formed their own competition and introduced the Adelaide Rams, Wellington Orcas and West Coast Pirates then it would leave room to being in the North Sydney Bears and liaise with the Magpies to jump ship and play under the Western Sydney Magpies banner. Another Sydney team, possibly the Jets, could enter as the Sydney Jets so the metropolitan region is covered in the east, north and west.

Paramount+ should be trying to make this a reality.

Maximus

Coach
I'm not surprised there is impasse. Vlandys is a hard head with zero negotiation skill, Abdo cant make any decisions, clubs see last seasons surplus and want it. A perfect storm for this mess just a couple of months out from next season.

This is what the sycophants didn't understand about the problem with bragging about making record profits more than 12 months in advance. Your main stakeholders see how profitable you claim to be and want a piece of it

If Auckland Warriors, Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm, Moreton Bay Dolphins, Newcastle Knights and North Queensland Cowboys formed their own competition and introduced the Adelaide Rams, Wellington Orcas and West Coast Pirates then it would leave room to being in the North Sydney Bears and liaise with the Magpies to jump ship and play under the Western Sydney Magpies banner. Another Sydney team, possibly the Jets, could enter as the Sydney Jets so the metropolitan region is covered in the east, north and west.

Paramount+ should be trying to make this a reality.
Drugs are bad .
mmmmkay

Wb1234

Referee
But you have to agree Wb1234, that extending Fox’s contract during a pandemic wasn’t the right move from PVL.
You know they redid that deal after just like afl did

but sure hindsight it w wonderful thing

he shouldn’t have stopped the comp

don’t worry when they add team 18 they will at least match th afl tv deal of 500 million (excluding digital)

Iamback

Coach
This is what the sycophants didn't understand about the problem with bragging about making record profits more than 12 months in advance. Your main stakeholders see how profitable you claim to be and want a piece of it

And if it is that profitable then no issue

First of all, good on them.

Secondly, a large swathe of QLD Cup clubs are against it too because it will affect their competition a whole lot more.

Thirdly, why do you think a national reserve grade is a good idea anyway? Not many sports do it (European soccer) because it is not a particularly good idea. I know the fumblers don’t for example. It’s also an anti growth, anti expansion idea and will give even more power to clubs which is not what you or I want
AwFuL has the VFL running reserve grade teams for the Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants and the Melbourne clubs. It also has a Gold Coast club called Southport Sharks competing in it. The Adelaide and Perth clubs play their reserve players in the SANFL and WAFL.

As of the 2022 season, standalone clubs in the league, of which there are eight, have a A$220,000 salary cap, while the AFL reserve and affiliate clubs have a A$110,000 salary cap.

Colk

First Grade
You know rothfield works for news ltd yeh ?

yesterday he was talking about a super league bc of vlandys

guess you pick the article to suit that bias lol

Have they ever directly critiqued V’Landys for anything though? It is always somebody’s else fault. Also when his authority is ever in doubt there is always some pro-V’Landys spin.

Anyway it is easy to deduce that something fishy is going on here - they have either provided the RLPA etc with figures that don’t match the projections that were splashed in the paper, they haven’t provided the figures at all or the RLPA etc are playing dumb.

It is most likely the former - the clubs and RLPA are arriving at different projections, particularly in relation to that puff piece, and hence they think something is being withheld.

Iamback

Coach
Have they ever directly critiqued V’Landys for anything though? It is always somebody’s else fault. Also when his authority is ever in doubt there is always some pro-V’Landys spin.

Anyway it is easy to deduce that something fishy is going on here - they have either provided the RLPA etc with figures that don’t match the projections that were splashed in the paper, they haven’t provided the figures at all or the RLPA etc are playing dumb.

It is most likely the former - the clubs and RLPA are arriving at different projections, particularly in relation to that puff piece, and hence they think something is being withheld.

Have the RLPA said it was cash based?

I haven't heard them say the money was bad, Just they wanted more say in off field things.

If that is the case, All part of the process

Maximus

Coach

Also, the intention of the Rothfield article could quite easily have been to get people to oppose the clubs because nobody wants to see another super league

Wb1234

Referee

The rlpa suspect there is some money hidden

they are on a fishing expedition to get more

that’s why they are asking how much money they make from magic and the grand final

the Penrith ceo was having a sook they only got 200k for winning the comp so the angle is they want way more (think it’s going back up to 800k)

the original deal with clubs and players was the nrl would make 40 million profit and anything over would be split equally between players, clubs and arlc (which happened)

now they are fishing to see if money has been hidden and they should get even more

They literally don’t need any more money either

the whole point of cutting costs at the arlc wasn’t so all the savings goes to clubs. They don’t have to make massive profits every year

Iamback

Coach
Bragging to the media about how much money you are going to make, when you haven't even agreed the amount you are going to pay your 2 biggest stakeholders, is one of the dumbest decisions ever made in business.

It is a profit share arrangement, What the NRL do with their share shouldn't concern the players. They will get their 45%

Why the hell you talking about 1910? Haha the broncos commenced in 1988.

Mergers of Sydney clubs had been floated since the early 70s with the plan being to have teams in Canberra wagga Newcastle and Brisbane. All because the code with so many Sydney clubs was unsustainable.

Wests and Newtown were booted out the comp in 1983.

Arthurson had floated a type of “super league” in 86. QRL pulled out for the licence for a Brisbane club. Then AFL started the Bears in 87. A direct result of panicking that AFL got into Queensland market first, NSWRL and sydney clubs allowed the creation of the Broncos - a privately owned club with restriction in place to be the only Queensland club in return for the $500,000 licence fee which surprise surprise was distributed to Sydney clubs.

Then NSWRL announced the Gold Coast Giants would play in Tweed to avoid the exclusivity agreement in place with Broncos. From that point on, the relationship between Broncos and NSWRL only deteriorated due to Sydney centric decision making.

1992 - Bradley report - recommends culling, merging and relocating Sydney clubs. Then by 95 the broncos, the only real profit making club, is told they have to meet the same criteria as Sydney clubs and will only be invited to join the ARL on a year to year basis and things like having to share merchandise revenue with Sydney clubs continue. ARL completely lit the fuse for a Super League. But yeah sure, talk about 1910 all ya like.

How strong the game is under our current bosses?

In 2016-17 they dipped into the sustainability fund to prop up poor performing clubs - Sydney Clubs again. This lead to Graeme Samuel quitting the Commission.

By 2020, covid came along they had no assets or “sustainability fund” to help fund the game. So knowing the comp is on its knees, PVL decides to get his head on TV every two seconds and claim the NRL is gonna go broke, which just allowed Foxtel and Nine to know they had positions of power and took to tv rights agreements like vultures picking at the bones.

The decision to go ahead with renegotiation on tv rights, which Greenberg and Abdo recommended the Commission not to do, has ended up costing the NRL, clubs and players at least $500m in comparison to the rival code.

Now they can’t get the CBA done and players are openly disparaging the code in media.

Clubs are pissed cause they can’t get any transparency on financials of things like magic round and tv rights deals.

You know the AFL CBA is up this year too? Don’t hear any talk of rebel leagues or clubs getting the administration of the game sacked.

If you think this game is well run under the current administration you’ve got rocks in ya head
You need to remember that the NSWRL fans you're arguing with think with their dicks when this subject is brought up. I've shown them actual transcripts from Neil Cadigan's book, 20 YEARS IN THE SADDLE NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 1995-2014, involving quotes from Arthurson, Quayle, Boustead and plenty of other people involved in the creation of the club, plus people who were still around during the Super League War. They explained why the club was in so much financial strife and why they signed with Super League to stay afloat. It was a similar story for the Western Reds. The Cowboys had to spend at least $800k flying Sydney teams to Townsville and themselves to Sydney because the NSWRL clubs made this demand when the expansion process was in place during the early 90s.

The Sydney clubs put themselves first and made life miserable for all four expansion clubs.

When I presented this information in another thread a few weeks ago I was insulted by an irrational idiot who claims it cannot be true because he's read Mike Coleman's book!

😂

He said the Reds had lots of money and didn't need to sign with News Ltd. When I asked him to provide actual evidence to support his revisionist bullshit he ran off with his tail between his legs.

Here's the actual post where I transcribed key sections from Neil Cadigan's book.

Colk

First Grade
The rlpa suspect there is some money hidden

they are on a fishing expedition to get more

that’s why they are asking how much money they make from magic and the grand final

the Penrith ceo was having a sook they only got 200k for winning the comp so the angle is they want way more (think it’s going back up to 800k)

the original deal with clubs and players was the nrl would make 40 million profit and anything over would be split equally between players, clubs and arlc (which happened)

now they are fishing to see if money has been hidden and they should get even more

They literally don’t need any more money either

the whole point of cutting costs at the arlc wasn’t so all the savings goes to clubs. They don’t have to make massive profits every year

That is what I said in my previous post. Obviously they have looked at the article and seen how they are boasting about a $50 million profit and then referred back to the figures they have been given and there is obviously a discrepancy.

Whether you or I feel that they are entitled to it is an entirely different matter but if the ARLC agreed with the RLPA and the clubs to provide that funding under those circumstances then they are obliged to provide it.

Now, it would it be incredibly stupid to lie to either the papers or the players about the true state of the game’s finances. Monumentally stupid. But let’s see.

Wb1234

Referee
That is what I said in my previous post. Obviously they have looked at the article and seen how they are boasting about a $50 million profit and then referred back to the figures they have been given and there is obviously a discrepancy.

Whether you or I feel that they are entitled to it is an entirely different matter but if the ARLC agreed with the RLPA and the clubs to provide that funding under those circumstances then they are obliged to provide it.

Now, it would it be incredibly stupid to lie to either the papers or the players about the true state of the game’s finances. Monumentally stupid. But let’s see.
Probability vlandys is lieing … zero

clubs have totally mismanaged this. This all could’ve been done behind closed doors without childish threats of super league

just today Harry grant was trying to say poor lower paid nrl players make less money than tradies

this is about clubs and players wanting the arlc to dance to their tune

if the arlc cave I can see them trying to kill off the Perth nrl team

if clubs weren’t so well funded I would have sympathy for them

but they are so they should stfu.

Iamback

Coach

The 2 issues mentioned was GF and Magic Round, Neither are locked in for the 5 year period. So that would be an educated guess rather then a lie